Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 7, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #1,471 of 3,354
At the beginning, without any break-in, the  metal westinghouse 6J5 tube sound more detailed, more clean in the bass and highs and in all the spectrum, more imaging, more silent, than my ken-rad 7193.... I am very happy and will not go back to the 7193 that i have loved more than the 6sn7 before them...i had the great luck to have always an evident better sound with each upgrade in tube thanks to you all here my friends...I wait for 2 national union 6L5G and  i think that will be interesting....thanks to all of you here
L3000.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,472 of 3,354
Surprisingly the 7193's will still sound good to you later on, after the newness of the 6j5's settle in. I have a pair of Sylvania 6j5 straight glass tubes, that the more I listen to them the better I like them.  The 6L5g.s are still a little better to me, but he 6j5 Visseaux tubes just do it all.  Swap in the 7193's in a month or so and see if you still like what they sound like.  You loved them before, and I will bet you will love them again.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,473 of 3,354
i am certain that you are right ... the sound of the 7193 is very good BUT in my system and headphone the 6j5 is more silent and with more clean sound, hence it is not day and night but  this is not a subtle difference,this is there, very  really there, i will listen back to the 7193 some day for sure but the 6j5 is better for me...
atsmile.gif
the cleanliness is unmistakable,the soundstage is also more defined...
  Surprisingly the 7193's will still sound good to you later on, after the newness of the 6j5's settle in. I have a pair of Sylvania 6j5 straight glass tubes, that the more I listen to them the better I like them.  The 6L5g.s are still a little better to me, but he 6j5 Visseaux tubes just do it all.  Swap in the 7193's in a month or so and see if you still like what they sound like.  You loved them before, and I will bet you will love them again.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,474 of 3,354
Well, I did it... just ordered Franken Jr and Franken Ember adapters.  Made an offer one of those Raytheon JAN 6F8Gs that Mshenay listed above (this one is a VT-99 version).  

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a couple of the Visseaux 6J5s at a reasonable price soon.

I'm listening to a 1961 Valvo CCa right now.  I know, blasphemy, an E88CC 9-pin tube.  Funny thing how this is one of the best of the best tubes and with the Ember it attracts no interest.  In my very short time rolling tubes in the Ember, it seems that the 8 pin tubes have a bigger, fuller sound to them.  I don't really know how to explain it... but I like the sound.  It's addictive.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,475 of 3,354
Nothing wrong with rolling in 9 pin tubes, the Ember was designed around them.  I still like them, occasionally, just have to get back to the Visseaux's  after awhile. Never concern yourself with what others think, if you like them, you are the only one that has to listen to them.  Good luck with these.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,476 of 3,354
  Nothing wrong with rolling in 9 pin tubes, the Ember was designed around them.  I still like them, occasionally, just have to get back to the Visseaux's  after awhile. Never concern yourself with what others think, if you like them, you are the only one that has to listen to them.  Good luck with these.

your opinion is very important to me , i valued all the impression of all the guy here, but all headphone,cable,dac have different synergy together, and no tube in the same family sound exactly like an other... all that made one experience one of a kind...this is my point... I cannot go back now to the 7193 because it is not a choice between two different  flavored sound for me it is the  difference between a more clean sound  and a less clean one in my system gear ...i like to read all your posts connieflyer thank you for that...
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,477 of 3,354
If these are a definete improvement then of course stay with them. On my system the 7193's still sound good but not as good as the 6j5's.  Everyone's hearing and gear is different and that causes a conflict every now and then, but we have a good time comparing this and that, and it gives us an idea, even if we hear different, what we may like as others explore the different combinations. If you can try the National Union 6L5's, and maybe the Slyvania 6j5 straight tubes. Nice sound. So far all my tubes have dead silent background, but a few, have a little microphonics.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,478 of 3,354
   On my system the 7193's still sound good but not as good as the 6j5's. 

this is my experience... i listen now to them for 2 hours and all is better for me.... i cannot wait for the 6L5... How will it be ? all of you are almost unanimous that the 6L5 is slighly better thant 6J5  except Visseaux...Ouf ! i cannot wait because for my ears and gear the difference was great now already...I will buy some Visseaux in 8 month impossible before that...It is because of your testimony that i made the plunge in these tube... thanks very much  to you
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #1,479 of 3,354
The only 6L5's I have are a couple of pair of the National Union, so can not speak to other brands, but they are very good. Hope you like them.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,480 of 3,354
  Well, I did it... just ordered Franken Jr and Franken Ember adapters.  Made an offer one of those Raytheon JAN 6F8Gs that Mshenay listed above (this one is a VT-99 version).  

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a couple of the Visseaux 6J5s at a reasonable price soon.

I'm listening to a 1961 Valvo CCa right now.  I know, blasphemy, an E88CC 9-pin tube.  Funny thing how this is one of the best of the best tubes and with the Ember it attracts no interest.  In my very short time rolling tubes in the Ember, it seems that the 8 pin tubes have a bigger, fuller sound to them.  I don't really know how to explain it... but I like the sound.  It's addictive.

One of the tubes I liked most was a russian 6N23P which is pretty much the russian equivalent to the E88CC. It went bad in 1 channel after a week tho LOL so I could never compare them with my newer tubes. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,482 of 3,354
I have ordered the RCA 6C8G, got it very cheap. But I would like to try one more. Those comments about the Raytheon seem very appealing. I would say the Bad Boys have a very fast bass also and I like it a lot. But I am also tempted to go for a ken-rad, the Raytheons are not cheap!

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,483 of 3,354
I have ordered the RCA 6C8G, got it very cheap. But I would like to try one more. Those comments about the Raytheon seem very appealing. I would say the Bad Boys have a very fast bass also and I like it a lot. But I am also tempted to go for a ken-rad, the Raytheons are not cheap!

I found reviews on the K-R 6C8G and K-R, Sylvania, and Raytheon 6F8Gs on Tube Maze:

http://www.tubemaze.info/ken-rad-6c8g-round-plates/

http://www.tubemaze.info/tag/6f8g/

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,484 of 3,354

One of the tubes I liked most was a russian 6N23P which is pretty much the russian equivalent to the E88CC. It went bad in 1 channel after a week tho LOL so I could never compare them with my newer tubes. 

I have a pair of the 1975 Reflektor 6N23P SWGP silver shields. rb2013 found me a matched date and output pair last year.  He really hooked me up and I'll probably keep them forever.  They're pretty darn amazing... extremely fast, clear, and detailed, no noise at all... but stupid expensive.  It's one of the reasons I'm moving away from the Lyr 2 amp and its 6DJ8/6922 tube type.  They're too popular, too expensive and getting harder to find.  I've having more fun with the Ember and its wider variety of obscure tubes at reasonable prices that sound as good, or better, than the 6922 tubes.

The best part is that all my 6DJ8/6922/E88CC/CCa tubes work great in the Ember too, and I only need one tube, so my pairs will last twice as long.  It's a win/win.

EDIT:  As far as it going bad, I'm not surprised.  The Russian tube sellers are notoriously shady.  rb2013 is the only person I'd trust to buy them from.  He does all the sorting for us.  He puts a selection up on ebay occasionally but it's best to PM him if you're interested it trying any more.  Sine we only need 1 instead of a pair, it'll be easier for him to find what you want.

EDIT to the EDIT:  Also, there's a huge difference in sound among the Russian Reflektor and Voskhod tubes based on year.  I have some 1979 Voskhod Rockets that don't sound nearly as good as my Reflektors.  Also a difference between the silver shields and gray shield models.   The 1974 and 1975 Reflektors are pretty much the best.  Silver shields top the gray shields but both are good.  The 1974s have been known to have a deeper low end but a bit less soundstage than the 1975s.  They also cost a lot less.  The Voskhod Rockets are a great choice also if you want to dabble without spending a fortune.  Check out this link for the Voskhod rankings:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/8595

Users who are viewing this thread

Back