Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,341 of 3,354
DAD was a typo. I meant my DAC.

The other amp was a custom home made amp of a friend. No name. He designed it himself.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #2,342 of 3,354
Where do I get a faraday cage? How do I build it? How do I ground it?

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #2,343 of 3,354

That's interestiing
DAD was a typo. I meant my DAC.

The other amp was a custom home made amp of a friend. No name. He designed it himself.

That's very interesting. Any link to the info that putting the amp on top  of the DAC reduces noise/buzz?
As far as your friend's amp is concerned I have the occasional tube, though not a 6SN7, that hums in Starlight and not in Ember, or visa versa, and I suppose then it's a question of idiosyncratic lack of 'synergy' of electrical circuits (for want of a better explanation) if you can't find a fault anywhere.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #2,344 of 3,354

You need to read from d3rrick's post #1961, p131 to around #2080, p140, of this thread, and then you will know as much as I do. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #2,345 of 3,354
I have read all that. But how do I ground the mesh?

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2,347 of 3,354
I took my grounding wire that is connected to the cage and tried several places until I found the quietest ground, earth ground is reliable.  Right now I am using a three pound coffee can that covers the Franken Ember setup.  The can comes into contact with all four thumb screws on top of the Ember plate, silence.  So in this setup there is NO grounding wire... just were the can touches the four screws.

http://amasci.com/amateur/whygnd.html

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,348 of 3,354
What is an earth point?

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #2,349 of 3,354
I have read all that. But how do I ground the mesh?

Easiest way I found to ground the cage was take a piece of solid core copper and tie it to the cage bend it in such a way as it touches the top of the capacitor while the cage is in place (mine was dead quiet) it gets rid of the need to stretch a wire anywhere

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,350 of 3,354
Which capacitor? How do I identify it?

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,351 of 3,354
The buzzing is there even when Ember isn't connected to the DAC.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,352 of 3,354
Which capacitor? How do I identify it?

Looking at the amp from the front (Volume knob facing you) I used the capacitor in front of the tube right side.  had the copper wire touch the bare metal top of the capacitor and the cage and all noise gone

Joe

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,353 of 3,354
  Since getting 6sn7 tubes,

Sylvania 6sn7wgt works fine

But. Tried 3 VT 231's. Two from Syl. One from RCA. 

All 3 have a severe buzzing noise. 

Increases with use. 

Could it be a grounding issue? Or could it be the adapter?

12AU7 work fine. As do 6dj8. As do Syl 6sn7wgt. 

Please help. Not usable with VT 231 tubes so far. 
sad.png

I am a recent convert to the Ember and had exactly the same problem this evening while testing for the 1st time a recently purchased 1943 Ken Rad and 1951 Sylvania, both 6SN7.

I thought I'd been sold duff tubes as both were buzzing loudly, but a Tesla E88cc and Amperex ECC88 (6dj8) were fine.

Anyway long story short turns out it was the energy saving bulb in an ikea desk lamp 4 feet away about to give up. I changed the light bulb and all was good with the world.

I guess some tubes are more susceptible to interference than others, any electrical equipment crapping out near you?

Incidentally I have a couple of 6dj8 Bugle Boys, one of which is very noisy in my Valhalla 2 but if I put it in the Ember it's silent.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,354 of 3,354
my various attempts at blocking that nasty interference 

all worked, on the on the square cage, the grounding wire has an alligator clip in one end, and a spade connector on the other.
the spade connector is attached at the thumbscrew, the alligator clip connected to the cage
works like a charm .
i now have a round one that looks a little nicer. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2,355 of 3,354
That's great that you guys were able to solve the buzzing with these methods on the Ember.

I've now owned the Elise for the last few weeks. Most of the tubes are quiet but for the ones that weren't, I had tried the foil with grounding wire but to no effect at all. The Elise creams the Ember in every way, kicking the living daylight out of it until the former is completely irrelevant, so I thought I would avoid posting a comparison here to avoid ruffling any feathers. 
(I'll just suffice it to say the Elise with good tubes sounds twice as good as Liquid Carbon in balanced mode; which is already 1-2x better than LC in SE mode; which is already a slight edge above the Ember with dual Visseaux)

Needless to say I'm selling my Ember. If anyone would like an Ember in good working condition please contact me. Also I'll be getting rid of 3 pairs of 7193 tubes as well as a few 6J5's and 6SN7's - not all though because many of these sound glorious on the Elise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back