Project Ember Tube Rolling
May 12, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2,371 of 3,354
Anyone listened to the Ember v2.1 to see if it addressed any of the hum issues we get with some setups.

May 12, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,373 of 3,354
Hello everyone - i just received my ember last week and enjoy the sound immensely. I am going to be perusing the numerous pages in this thread, looks like there is a lot of great information.

I do have a request though, any recommendations on a tube(s) that have particular synergy with the lcd-3 (non-fazor if it matters)? If your response is lurk the thread more, i understand, just trying to take a quick shortcut. :)

Thanks!

May 12, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,374 of 3,354
  Was the humming a constant sound or something that happens with certain music/frequencies?

It is the hum that occurs with certain tube setups, in my case the "Franken Ember" setup.   It is cured by grounding a part of the Ember to earth ground.  Many pages in this thread discus this issue.  Also many pictures offer creative solutions.
I just wanted to know if v2.1 Ember made any difference.   

May 12, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,375 of 3,354
Hello everyone - i just received my ember last week and enjoy the sound immensely. I am going to be perusing the numerous pages in this thread, looks like there is a lot of great information.

I do have a request though, any recommendations on a tube(s) that have particular synergy with the lcd-3 (non-fazor if it matters)? If your response is lurk the thread more, i understand, just trying to take a quick shortcut.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

I am not familiar with your headphones but after comparing about 10 tubes I found 3 that had distinct personalities and I pretty much just listen to those anymore. I am not home at the moment but I listed them in an earlier post. So my advice is to try to get dissimilar sounding tubes initially. Rather than end up with a bunch of similar sounding tubes right off the bat. Then fine tune it later. Maybe someone here can lump the various popular tubes into groups by sound signature? I was also given good advice here to read the thread backwards and so avoid buying tubes that were favored in the initial posts and then improved upon later.

May 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,376 of 3,354

I do have a request though, any recommendations on a tube(s) that have particular synergy with the lcd-3 (non-fazor if it matters)? If your response is lurk the thread more, i understand, just trying to take a quick shortcut.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

I'm going to assume you are only looking for 12XXX tubes: Telefunken 12AU7, re-issue Mullard, Amprex Bugle Boy are my 3 that I like with my LCD-2f so you might still need to fine tune from there.  I like my Lyr2 better for the LCD-2f, better bass, highs and sound field, currently using Seimens Lorenz gold pins.

May 12, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,377 of 3,354
I am not familiar with your headphones but after comparing about 10 tubes I found 3 that had distinct personalities and I pretty much just listen to those anymore. I am not home at the moment but I listed them in an earlier post. So my advice is to try to get dissimilar sounding tubes initially. Rather than end up with a bunch of similar sounding tubes right off the bat. Then fine tune it later. Maybe someone here can lump the various popular tubes into groups by sound signature? I was also given good advice here to read the thread backwards and so avoid buying tubes that were favored in the initial posts and then improved upon later.

Great ideas! I will take your advise and proceed backwards. Thanks

May 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,378 of 3,354
I'm going to assume you are only looking for 12XXX tubes: Telefunken 12AU7, re-issue Mullard, Amprex Bugle Boy are my 3 that I like with my LCD-2f so you might still need to fine tune from there.  I like my Lyr2 better for the LCD-2f, better bass, highs and sound field, currently using Seimens Lorenz gold pins.

Sounds good, i will check out the 12XXX tubes first, thanks for the suggestions!

May 12, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,379 of 3,354
  It is the hum that occurs with certain tube setups, in my case the "Franken Ember" setup.   It is cured by grounding a part of the Ember to earth ground.  Many pages in this thread discus this issue.  Also many pictures offer creative solutions.
I just wanted to know if v2.1 Ember made any difference.   

Some tubes, like the 7193 are more prone to humming, I had that frankenember setup, and had about 6 7193's only one had a hum in it.  The version of ember should not make a difference.  If the humming is constant with all tubes, it is the amp, if only certain setup's not the amps fault.  I have rolled many tubes, most 9 pins, lots of 6SN7's, and the dual 7193, and the dual 6j5,6c5 and the best setup for me was the Dual 6L6's.  Still have my ember and use it occassionly, presently up for sale. If you check out this add you can see what some of the adapters and tubes I use with the ember

May 13, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #2,380 of 3,354
Use your previous favorites and explore from there.  I always liked the 5751s and have found they sound good n this application as well.  There are various adapters available which allow you to use a large variety of tubes.  An example is the 6SN7 adapter .  The 6SN7 has a very wide variety of sounds depending on brand and vintage, many people no their favorite.
I should have mentioned the 12AU7 which is theoretical stock.  A couple of the more obscure 12AU7s are the very quiet 7316 variant also is very carefully speced out.  The real deal 7316s are in my opinion, always a Philips tube such as Amperex always made in Heerlen Holland and were made from the late 50s to early 60s, frequently for computers and fine test equipment, thus computer branding is a good thing.  They are super quiet.
I was just listening to a 10M Mullard 12AU7, sounds very good but is not overly ambitious.  I have Tele,  ECC82s but haven't listened to one recently, 
Another 12AU7 variant I like but very different than the 7316 is the Brimar 13D5 developed for longevity.  These are not subtle, rather they are rugged and straight forward and have a very clean signal.
BTW the 5751 is a sub for a 12AX7.  It has a gain of 0.70 of a 12AX7 and is more quiet than a 12AX7.

May 14, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2,381 of 3,354
The Project Ember is my first piece of tube gear so I'm new to this whole tube rolling game. I had Jeremy include some tubes with my purchase so I could get a feel for what kind of a difference tubes could make and after a few hours of listening I am really blown away by how big that difference really is.

The four I've got at the moment are an RCA Conn 12AU7A, a NOS Russian 6N6P that I can't find much information on, a late production Sylvania 6SN7GTB with adapter, and a Mullard CV 4024 Copper 12AT7. Of them the Mullard 12AT7 is by far and away my favorite -- better bass, better mids, better treble, bigger soundstage -- and the 6N6P is probably my least favorite since it seems lacking in the bass department.  The 6SN7 I have is somewhat underwhelming since all the reading I've been doing seems to praise these tubes. Mine seems very average. Can anyone recommend a 6SN7 that would show me what I'm missing?

I'd also like to try out a 5751 since they seem to be pretty highly recommended. Is there a specific one that stands out?

May 14, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #2,382 of 3,354
  The Project Ember is my first piece of tube gear so I'm new to this whole tube rolling game. I had Jeremy include some tubes with my purchase so I could get a feel for what kind of a difference tubes could make and after a few hours of listening I am really blown away by how big that difference really is.

The four I've got at the moment are an RCA Conn 12AU7A, a NOS Russian 6N6P that I can't find much information on, a late production Sylvania 6SN7GTB with adapter, and a Mullard CV 4024 Copper 12AT7. Of them the Mullard 12AT7 is by far and away my favorite -- better bass, better mids, better treble, bigger soundstage -- and the 6N6P is probably my least favorite since it seems lacking in the bass department.  The 6SN7 I have is somewhat underwhelming since all the reading I've been doing seems to praise these tubes. Mine seems very average. Can anyone recommend a 6SN7 that would show me what I'm missing?

I'd also like to try out a 5751 since they seem to be pretty highly recommended. Is there a specific one that stands out?

I only wanted the last question you asked re 5751s. 
If you just want to get the basic flavor there is current Russian production, I think it may be Sovtek but am not at all sure about the brand?
 The highest regarded tubes have 3 mica separating support structures and have black plates. These triple mica black plate tubes were frequently made in the 1950s and early 1960s  As for reputation by brand that is a matter of taste of course but Sylvania, RCA and GE in that order is the usual ranking. There are other lesser known 5751s for example Tung Sol and others.  One of my personal  favorites is the windmill getter Raytheon which is a 2 mica tube BTW. 
Never hurts to read up on threads dealing wuth 5751s, a couple of years ago the market for thrm was on fire with prices reaching ridiculous levels (on Ebay). 

May 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,383 of 3,354

Try the Ken Rad black glass vt231, the RCA gray glass vt231, I also felt the RCA bottlecap was pretty good

May 15, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #2,384 of 3,354
Hi Joe, do you mean the VT-231 perhaps?  Hope things are working out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back