Project Ember Tube Rolling
May 15, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,386 of 3,354
Every once and awhile!

May 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,387 of 3,354
I can't remember if I have said this already.  I use a somewhat uncommon Mullard 6922./7308 type tube with very  good results.  The tube is the CV-2493, sometimes written as a E88CC-01, it is atypical for a Mullard in that it has a bright treble called sparling by some.  I like the tube for its apparent precision.  They not usually inexpensive but within reason costing from $50-100 per tube.  They have been widely copied and I have been told counterfeits are abundant.  Look for the typical Mullard corrugated paper roll,  pin protectors and a dimpled "splash guard" .
Upscale audio used to carry some (no affiliation at all)

May 16, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,388 of 3,354
  I can't remember if I have said this already.  I use a somewhat uncommon Mullard 6922./7308 type tube with very  good results.  The tube is the CV-2493, sometimes written as a E88CC-01, it is atypical for a Mullard in that it has a bright treble called sparling by some.  I like the tube for its apparent precision.  They not usually inexpensive but within reason costing from $50-100 per tube.  They have been widely copied and I have been told counterfeits are abundant.  Look for the typical Mullard corrugated paper roll,  pin protectors and a dimpled "splash guard" .
Upscale audio used to carry some (no affiliation at all)

Got a picture of your?  Sounds like an interesting Mullard if its bright like you say

May 18, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,391 of 3,354
Hello brother David. Get your sr009 back yet?

Yes, but it was actually the SRM-007 that was the problem and need some repairs.  Hi Darwin, haven't seen you in the threads for a while, hope all is good with you and family.  I'm considering the Elise and 2 other amps, think I been over analyzing this but I trying to find 2 end game amps.

May 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,392 of 3,354
Well, you are welcome to ask us any questions on the Elise thread and we will try to help any way we can. I am really enjoying the amp with the 6 pack of El3n tubes.

May 19, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #2,393 of 3,354
The Project Ember is my first piece of tube gear so I'm new to this whole tube rolling game. I had Jeremy include some tubes with my purchase so I could get a feel for what kind of a difference tubes could make and after a few hours of listening I am really blown away by how big that difference really is.

The four I've got at the moment are an RCA Conn 12AU7A, a NOS Russian 6N6P that I can't find much information on, a late production Sylvania 6SN7GTB with adapter, and a Mullard CV 4024 Copper 12AT7. Of them the Mullard 12AT7 is by far and away my favorite -- better bass, better mids, better treble, bigger soundstage -- and the 6N6P is probably my least favorite since it seems lacking in the bass department.  The 6SN7 I have is somewhat underwhelming since all the reading I've been doing seems to praise these tubes. Mine seems very average. Can anyone recommend a 6SN7 that would show me what I'm missing?

I'd also like to try out a 5751 since they seem to be pretty highly recommended. Is there a specific one that stands out?

After trying 20 or so different tubes the Sylvania 6SN7W (black base) is my clear favorite.

-Eric

May 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,394 of 3,354
Yes, but it was actually the SRM-007 that was the problem and need some repairs.  Hi Darwin, haven't seen you in the threads for a while, hope all is good with you and family.  I'm considering the Elise and 2 other amps, think I been over analyzing this but I trying to find 2 end game amps.

I am fine, thanks for asking. Just i don't have much time in the forum, have to assist my kids exam and all.
I have ordered Elise based on impression mainly from connieflier sine he has both Ember and Elise. But i would never let Ember go, she's one of my lover. :D
What other amps are you considering right now?

May 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,395 of 3,354
May 20, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #2,396 of 3,354
I am fine, thanks for asking. Just i don't have much time in the forum, have to assist my kids exam and all.
I have ordered Elise based on impression mainly from connieflier sine he has both Ember and Elise. But i would never let Ember go, she's one of my lover.
biggrin.gif

What other amps are you considering right now?

Other amps include the Elise, a used Liquid Glass, EC Zana Deux, and HA-501 (still wanted a decent SS amp)

May 21, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #2,397 of 3,354
  Other amps include the Elise, a used Liquid Glass, EC Zana Deux, and HA-501 (still wanted a decent SS amp)

Elise looks like a fine amp. Love how it is named.  I like amp with girls name
biggrin.gif

LG look like this

ZD look like ,

you tempt me.  :D

HA-501, not so much (I prefer tube sound), I already have Lehmann BCL.

May 26, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #2,398 of 3,354
Project Starlight thread looking dead as a dodo, so any you guys have exp. with 12AU7 tube and its effect over the stock tube ?
4 years almost into this hobby and this is my first tube amp. Looking forward to the 'tube effect'.

I'm really not sure Starlight will power my Fostex T20-RPs on highest gain but I have other stuff it will power.
Sorry 'bout the cross-post, but this thread most active for tube rolling Project gear.

Been lurking on this post and wanted to opamp roll the Starlight with the new Burson opamps just out before looking at Ember 2 or anything else.

From what I have read, I think I'm going to be hooked on the tube sound.

May 26, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,399 of 3,354
  Project Starlight thread looking dead as a dodo, so any you guys have exp. with 12AU7 tube and its effect over the stock tube ?
4 years almost into this hobby and this is my first tube amp. Looking forward to the 'tube effect'.

I'm really not sure Starlight will power my Fostex T20-RPs on highest gain but I have other stuff it will power.
Sorry 'bout the cross-post, but this thread most active for tube rolling Project gear.

Been lurking on this post and wanted to opamp roll the Starlight with the new Burson opamps just out before looking at Ember 2 or anything else.

I have not tried the Burson op amps in the Starlight, but I have tried quite a few others. The LM4562 (and identical LM49720) that likely shipped with your Starlight are actual some of my favorites. The only ones that were clearly superior were the OPA627. If buying from a known source (DigiKey, Mouser) they cost real money, perhaps $20-$30 per op amp, and you need 4 as they are singles op amps.  You will also need a single to dual op amp adapter. You can find lots on OPA627's listed on E-Bay from China for very little money but are almost certainly not the 'real' 627 op amps. I found a thread where a guy took apart the chip and also a 'real' 627 to see what was inside. It was a cheap $1 opamp, not a 627!

I have been using an Amperex 12AU7 and a rare HIVAC 12AU7 with good success in the Starlight.

May 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,400 of 3,354

Favorite tubes for Ember: Telefunken, RCA clear top, Bugle Boys, Sylvania Jan and Mullards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back