Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jun 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,416 of 3,354
In addition to low and high gain, the Ember II has Input Attenuation via a small plug-in resistor pack, that further lowers the output level.

I use my original Ember 1 with various IEM (including 1964 Ears - pretty efficient/higher sensitivity). Initially, even on low gain I would barely move the volume knob much past 8:00 and had some channel imbalance. Being the cool guy he is, Jeremy had me send it back and he did a mod to replace a couple of resistors with some higher value ones. Post mod I typically run with the volume knob in the 10:00 to 12:00 range.

Not too long after Jeremy released the Polaris and then the Ember II, both having the plug in resistor packs so users can do this mod themselves (no need to ship it back or for Jeremy to desolder/resolver components).

Let Jeremy know you're using IEMS so he can make sure you get a couple of resistor packs of different values to try out.

The Ember is excellent with multi balanced armature IEMS.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2,419 of 3,354
I'm getting small electric shocks through a Project amp I just picked up to my IEMs . Trying to find and isolate the reason. 
I can feel the electric 'tinge' transmit to the ears.
If anyone could PM me with any way to fix this issue, I realise this is the tube rollers' thread. Just no general Project amps thread on this site and Starlight thread is dead...

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #2,420 of 3,354
  I'm getting small electric shocks through a Project amp I just picked up to my IEMs . Trying to find and isolate the reason. 
I can feel the electric 'tinge' transmit to the ears.
If anyone could PM me with any way to fix this issue, I realise this is the tube rollers' thread. Just no general Project amps thread on this site and Starlight thread is dead...

Try reducing the gain if the amp has one, which is usually better for IEMs anyway. Otherwise just insulate all exposed metal points on your IEM with the likes of foam / rubber according to practicality 

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #2,422 of 3,354

Already put it on lowest gain. More worried about toasting my IEMs as one side went all weird and dropped out/went fuzzy.

Would not expect these grounding issues on Project gear, maybe random Chinese gear with bad schematic principles.
Anyway, thanks.

I haven't had the same issue with my IEMs. It might be worth emailing Jeremy at Garage 1217 directly about the issue, he's very responsive.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #2,426 of 3,354

Already put it on lowest gain. More worried about toasting my IEMs as one side went all weird and dropped out/went fuzzy.

Would not expect these grounding issues on Project gear, maybe random Chinese gear with bad schematic principles.
Anyway, thanks.

If you are now having a problem with the quality of the sound from one of the channels I would firsly just try another headphone to determine if the problem is with the amp or the IEM's.

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #2,428 of 3,354

Hi problem is with the Starlight amp because I have the same IEMs on now with an HRT microstreamer DAC, no electic shock coming through the units, no driver overload.
(Also there is no continuous metal parts on my headphones to transmit low level shock to my ears from cables drivers inside, so they are isolated with wood/plastic/leather)

They are 16 ohms and I started with the amp at volume pot zero and moves very slowly on low gain just in case they were too sensitive, could dial around 6-10 o'clock. Really thought I fried my IEMs with the shock voltage, but they must have been overloaded with static as when I removed the cables and left them they were OK off my portable DAC/amp later. PHEW !

I had painful static problems when we got a new carpet and my wife made me take off my shoes and wear those blue polythene shoe covers they give you in airports, when you remove your shoes at security, to wear over my socks. Got dreadful shocks touching any metal component of my kit.
Hope you can sort this out. Jeremy will advise, I'm sure. Hopefully something quite simple.

PS. Might be worth checking the op-amps are properly housed, or even change them round. Might give some indication where the problem lies.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,429 of 3,354
question about matched pairs. I'm deaf on my left side, and I had Jeremy set up my ember 2 to play dual mono. I'm currently switching between a us navy 6c8 & a pair of phillips 6j5wgt.

Is using Matched pairs for dual tube setups a matter of balance, electrical necessity , or both. I thought if it's just balance, it won't affect me and I could save some money on tubes by getting non matched pairs.

On a side note, I love the 6c8's since I can put the humming side on the deaf ear.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #2,430 of 3,354
Hi problem is with the Starlight amp because I have the same IEMs on now with an HRT microstreamer DAC, no electic shock coming through the units, no driver overload.
(Also there is no continuous metal parts on my headphones to transmit low level shock to my ears from cables drivers inside, so they are isolated with wood/plastic/leather)

They are 16 ohms and I started with the amp at volume pot zero and moves very slowly on low gain just in case they were too sensitive, could dial around 6-10 o'clock. Really thought I fried my IEMs with the shock voltage, but they must have been overloaded with static as when I removed the cables and left them they were OK off my portable DAC/amp later. PHEW !

FWIW, I own the Microstreamer as well (great product, esp. for it's cost & size!), and also two Embers and have never had this problem. My vote would be to contact Jeremy and get it sent in for repairs. I've heard he is really fair, even if the unit is out of warranty or was a kit assembled incorrectly.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back