Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 6, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,311 of 3,354
I've just ordered an Ember which will be my first piece of tube gear. Looking through this thread it seems that I've got a whole lot of reading to do!

I have a quick question for you guys while my order is still pending with Jeremy -- is it worth getting this Supercharger module added to it now? Will there be an appreciable difference for me just starting my tube-rolling journey?

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2,312 of 3,354
  I've just ordered an Ember which will be my first piece of tube gear. Looking through this thread it seems that I've got a whole lot of reading to do!

I have a quick question for you guys while my order is still pending with Jeremy -- is it worth getting this Supercharger module added to it now? Will there be an appreciable difference for me just starting my tube-rolling journey?

The supercharger is part of the Ember II, it was an option on the original Ember.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #2,314 of 3,354
  Good to know, thanks. I don't see that listed on the product description on the garage1217 website.

Just went back to look at 1217 site, under the "parts" section it says for "Ember 1 supercharger module"  Its is confusing if you never had the original Ember, maybe they should add it to the Ember II description page
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2,315 of 3,354

I suggest trying a variety of other brand 12AU7s to start.  Then perhaps the other common audio preamp 12 volt tubes i.e. the 12AX7 and the12AT seven. Don't buy  the costly  premium NOS tubes until you know how these  alter the sound.  If you want to try the easily sourced   NOS 6SN7 get the adapter from 1217.   That's enough to start, understand that these tubes are typical audio tubes.  Happy Hunting--

PS Jeremy had a stock of NOS tubes at  very reasonable prices, don't know what he has now though! 

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,316 of 3,354

I suggest trying a variety of other brand 12AU7s to start.  Then perhaps the other common audio preamp 12 volt tubes i.e. the 12AX7 and the12AT seven. Don't buy  the costly  premium NOS tubes until you know how these  alter the sound.  If you want to try the easily sourced   NOS 6SN7 get the adapter from 1217.   That's enough to start, understand that these tubes are typical audio tubes.  Happy Hunting--

PS Jeremy had a stock of NOS tubes at  very reasonable prices, don't know what he has now though! 

You can search for GARAGE 1217 page on Facebook. Jeremy has some tubes with pictures listed out. You don't even need to register if you don't use Facebook. Just browse his page to see the updates.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #2,317 of 3,354
I did a small amount of tube rolling and the above suggestions are very good! I also bought tubes from Jeremy at Garage 1217 twice and basically I just asked him to pick what he liked from his stock. I got a Russian 6n6p and a 6SN7 plus adapter that way. If I had to pick my top 3 tubes in my collection (about 10) two came from J. He will pick a winner for you if you let him :) As far as price I never spent a lot on a tube, yet.
Obviously it is highly personal which tube you are going to like, there can be no guarantees, but if you are starting from scratch and looking for advice, why not ask a guy who designs tube amps...

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,318 of 3,354
Heads up

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804434/garage-1217-starlight-with-adapters-and-tubes-very-nice-tubes-sounds-superb

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804530/collection-of-21-6sn7-tubes-sell-as-a-lot-wont-beat-this-deal

anyone off this thread wants the collection of 6sn7 tubes I will toss a 6sn7 adapter you way with them 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2,319 of 3,354
  Heads up

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804434/garage-1217-starlight-with-adapters-and-tubes-very-nice-tubes-sounds-superb

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804530/collection-of-21-6sn7-tubes-sell-as-a-lot-wont-beat-this-deal

anyone off this thread wants the collection of 6sn7 tubes I will toss a 6sn7 adapter you way with them 
biggrin.gif

Shucks wish I would have waited on another purchase to get the tube lot! Thanks again for the Ember!

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,321 of 3,354
Anyone in the market for adapters shoot me a PM, I have 1 x 6j5g to ecc81 25.00 shipped, I also have 3 x Jeremys 6sn7 adapters 20.00 each shipped

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #2,322 of 3,354
Not sure if I am just in the right mood or what but this damn American Made Amperex 12at7 (ECC81) is sounding damn fine. Very Musical little tube. It is also quite clear the 12 volt tubes put out more Volume.  I had to drop my source volume almost 1/2 to keep the volume pot at around 12 oclock

Now I am inclined to give the rest of my little 9 pins a go round

Small poll,  who prefers Musical over technically correct / neutral ??

Personally I have been subjecting my wife and kids to my golden vocals, foot tapping and head bobbing for a couple hours (musical is where I will reside from now on, its to much fun to have my wife tell me to shut up, I sound sick 
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,323 of 3,354
Personally I liked those Amperex 12at7's, they put on a good show.  See you sold your Ember, I will be putting mine up for sale as soon as my new Elise gets here. Bought a pair of Beyerdynamic T1's, and I am thinking I like them better than my 650's or 700's so more sale's to go.  Keep getting on the wife's nerve's, just watch out for frying pans in the night!

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,324 of 3,354
I have another toy on the way myself.  I bought what is likely the last SE84 from Justin at ampsandsound.  single end pentode 3 wpc supports speakers and headphones

Shes as beauty.  Selling off some stuff to help offset the expense.  Shes a good wife all she said was yep when I approached the subject of getting it.  I already have the prototype of the book shelf speakers in the pic as well

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,325 of 3,354
That one was on my list as well, nice score Joe, and a good wife is worth more than any amp, not the music maybe, but the electronics for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back