Project Ember Review
Dec 23, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #121 of 1,366
how close is "besides it?" directly against it? semi-near it? on the same table? in the same room?
lol :tongue_smile:

I suppose for me, about 12 to 24 inches!! My mast is quite a way so e phone is possibly sending a stronger contact signal. Then again, I've also heard it on other gear. After Christmas, you could try wrapping it in the Turkey's tin foil. Very cheap enclosure. :wink:

Or turn the phone off and leave a 'do not disturb' message? :p

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #122 of 1,366
I suppose for me, about 12 to 24 inches!! My mast is quite a way so e phone is possibly sending a stronger contact signal. Then again, I've also heard it on other gear. After Christmas, you could try wrapping it in the Turkey's tin foil. Very cheap enclosure.
wink.gif

Or turn the phone off and leave a 'do not disturb' message?
tongue.gif

yay! thanks for the specific measurements :)

have a merry xmas

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #123 of 1,366
I have had my phone right next to the ember and have never had a problem with it.  I am saying within inches here, like three or so.  Like I said my phones not so smart, but it doesn't interfere with my music.  If it did it would not be with me.  Music first, contact with the outside world later.  Merry Christmas everyone.  Don

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #124 of 1,366
The distance to the mast also has an effect. If you are (like me) in the middle of nowhere, the phone sends out a powerful signal to reach it and keep in contact. Even I have to put it very close and then again, my MF V8 also picks it up and that's boxed!!

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #129 of 1,366
new project sunrise III & project horizon III out if anyone is interested!

also, quick question. is there any worries of damaging headphones or the amp when turning on/off this amp? i read some random things about tube amps requiring special protocol when turning on/off & i'm not too sure how accurate the person is.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #130 of 1,366
safest bet and easy with a wee bit of forethought , unplug headphones after every use. turn on amp to warm up  THEN plug in headphones.

something I like to do as well is turn vol pot all the way down after listening.

with the power this puts out, I would not be the least bit surprised if you had vol pot turned up high that it could kill your cans, turning on the amp. not sure just my assumption.

vol pot to minimum, plug in cans. its become habit for me at this point with ANY can/amp combo. better safe than sorry and its SO easy.

not been around in awhile see this ODAC mentioned a LOT, I currently use the AUNE amp/dac ... this one
is the ODAC better?

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #131 of 1,366
  new project sunrise III & project horizon III out if anyone is interested!

also, quick question. is there any worries of damaging headphones or the amp when turning on/off this amp? i read some random things about tube amps requiring special protocol when turning on/off & i'm not too sure how accurate the person is.

Yes! I saw that they are planning a solid state amp as well, I cannot wait!

I have the Sunrise 2 and pair it with dt880's. It's a phenomenal amp for sure. I really wish more people would give these guys a try, they are the real deal!

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #132 of 1,366
here is more info on size. straight from the horses mouth.

The PCB is 4.25 / 5.25" Most any enclosure is a rather custom fit as our PCB's are quite thick and would not slide into any so just choose something larger than the PCB.

not sure what having this info will do being as the pcb is thicker than the norm.

was also told they are working on "solid" enclosures for all their amps.

We are working on a metal enclosure option for all of our amplifiers however the tube, and large caps will still be exposed (tube being exposed is generally what causes interference issues)

time will tell.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #134 of 1,366
  The review-unit Project Ember got in a couple of days ago, and I have to say it's one of the coolest-looking DIY-type amps that I've ever seen. I didn't think I would like the open-frame-style chassis but it's not that bad, and the plexiglass top is just awesome.

I'd post initial impressions but I recently got new headphones (Sennheiser HD598 and Shure SRH1540) and I'm adjusting to them as well. So I'll just post a pic for now. Since most of the pics I've seen have been annoyingly dark, I decided to make it annoyingly bright.
tongue.gif

(click for larger)

Your impressions about Ember paired with AD2000 will be appreciated! I'm a new AD2000 owner and Ember seems to be very good tube solution for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back