Project Ember Review
Jan 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #152 of 1,366
Thanks for the detailed review Asr! I was thinking about the Ember for my AT W1000x ( and a future HE500), but I am now hesitant with the  noise issue (does the RCA 12AU7 completely solve the problem?). The Vali too seems to have some noise issues with the ATs, apart from the microphonics.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #153 of 1,366
Great Review!
How about a comparison against other hybrid tube amps like the Lyr or Pan am.

Question about the pre-amp function, does it mute the pre-amp out when a headphone is plugged in?

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #154 of 1,366
  Just posted my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/garage1217-project-ember-hybrid-headphone-amplifier-preamp/reviews/10302

Great review! A couple things though

As far as the hiss try high output impedance - that'll at least quiet it down if you get one.

Also experiment with high gain and bypassed input caps - I detect a sonic difference with both so the gain isn't just about volume in this case. 

As far as 6DJ8s they're great tubes - My favorites are the Amperex offerings as well as a Tesla that I have

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #155 of 1,366
Thanks for the detailed review Asr! I was thinking about the Ember for my AT W1000x ( and a future HE500), but I am now hesitant with the  noise issue (does the RCA 12AU7 completely solve the problem?). The Vali too seems to have some noise issues with the ATs, apart from the microphonics.

Almost every tube or hybrid amp I've heard has had at least a little bit of hiss. The 12AU7 wasn't completely silent but the hiss was minor enough that it wasn't very noticeable. If even a little bit of hiss would be too much for you then I'd recommend getting a solid-state amp instead, as those tend to be silent.

Great Review!
How about a comparison against other hybrid tube amps like the Lyr or Pan am.

Question about the pre-amp function, does it mute the pre-amp out when a headphone is plugged in?

I previously owned the Lyr and would take the Project Ember over it easily. Sound quality aside, it was way too difficult to remove tubes from the Lyr and I actually caused a tube to implode once when trying to pull it out. I think some others have posted some Lyr vs Project Ember comparisons but I personally won't be doing that, just not interested in getting a Lyr again. Would much rather have the Project Ember especially when it's over $100 cheaper and makes removing tubes much easier.

No idea on the pre-amp question, as I never used it. Would be better to ask Garage1217 about that.

Great review! A couple things though  
As far as the hiss try high output impedance - that'll at least quiet it down if you get one.

Also experiment with high gain and bypassed input caps - I detect a sonic difference with both so the gain isn't just about volume in this case. 

As far as 6DJ8s they're great tubes - My favorites are the Amperex offerings as well as a Tesla that I have

Increasing the output resistance had a negative sonic effect especially on the AD2K. It sounded terribly dark at Hi output resistance. It was better-sounding at Med output resistance but still not as good as at Lo.

I returned the review unit so no experimenting for me.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #158 of 1,366
Just wanted to add my experiences into the pot. Jeremy is the perfect example of how great a small company's customer service can be. After exchanging several emails with the guy, he offered to include two sets of tubes with the amp. That was a little over 3 months ago, and I've been rocking it with an HD650. Sounds like sonic heaven.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #159 of 1,366
Nice one Asr!  
One thing I took away from your review was that the higher gain tubes actually drive inefficient cans better. I thought the tube had no real effect on power output on the Ember?

It's just a guess but I'd think that high-gain tubes are better able to increase volume into inefficient loads, not that the power output is necessarily higher.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #161 of 1,366
Thanks @Asr

I decided to purchase the Ember and asked Jeremy to do the Line out disconnect mod. Can't wait to get it!

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #164 of 1,366
  Is it ok to change the output resistance while the amp is turned on?

Hmm, I actually never thought of that. I am curious to the answer of this too.

Anyways I pulled the trigger on one of these as my first desktop amp for my alpha dogs using my DX100 as a DAC. I never considered what my dad's amplifiers used for tubes, so I decided to check out his tube stash and he has one of the cases in the picture with the sides filled with 12ax7 and 12au7 tubes. 
evil_smiley.gif
 This will be fun

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #165 of 1,366
Just wanted to share a few pics of the Ember. It sounds very good! I'll be sticking with the stock tube for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back