Project Ember Review
Nov 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #91 of 1,366
I was considering a ticket to India to find that nuisance and tell him to his face to get a life.  The ember seems like a very good option and I would not have found it if not for the for sale amp section, saw one I think it was a sunrise.  Looked interesting, so checked out their website and saw the Project Ember and decided after much thought to get one.  I will admit, that that character was a pain, but I think he's gone at least for now.  AFTER I get my Ember than please, everyone go order one!  Keep up the good work.  Don

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #92 of 1,366
He just full of words, Don. Often gibberish!! :wink:

As far as the amp is concerned, if you need or want support with any issue, Frans is over on DIYAH and I guarantee he will answer and fix any query since he's the guy that designed it. It's really worth the trouble to set the output impedance up to suit your headphone as well as find a tube that suits your tastes and of course, the input level. It's very configurable which is exactly what he intended in the design. I had a proto Sunrise and then a Horizon and now a proto Ember. Loved them all, but my favourite is the Ember for sure.

Frans is now working on a portable amp that will include a filter inside in order to get whatever headphone you choose to use to as flat as he can get it. He also makes these filters after measuring headphones' responses. He modified my T40 and also made me a filter that gets it very close to flat and extends its response way above the Mad Dog version which is not as extended at all without a filter. It has become my reference headphone. He also did a lot of work on the Superlux headphones which are really cheap and the HD681b in particular comes out sounding really good with a filter in line and his recommended mods.

I'm looking forward to how this amp he's working on turns out since I'd love a dedicated amp for the T40/T50. He' s asking what people would like to see on DIYAH and then designing according to what he thinks may work well so it's a real peoples' amp and a really interesting idea - an amp dedicated to a headphone.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #93 of 1,366
I'll have a review unit of this amp coming in relatively soon and am really looking forward to it. I hope it's as good as everyone says.
smile.gif

Serious question: I don't suppose anyone has a Schiit Lyr, Audeze LCD-2, or a MrSpeakers headphone that they'd be willing to let me borrow for the review? 
redface.gif
(I'm a little short on comparative gear at the moment and out of spare funds to buy stuff after Black Friday damaged my wallet. I could offer a loan of something that I own in return as an incentive too.)

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #95 of 1,366
Has anyone had a chance yet to compare the Ember (or other Garage1217 amps) to the Schiit Vali? 

Yes there's a comparison in the Vali thread from a couple days ago.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #96 of 1,366
hey cld someone please explain to me the differences between the different Garage1217 projects (starlight vs sunrise 2 vs ember)? I read the full descriptions for each one but it all sounds like mumbo jumbo to mee lol. I need it explained in practical layman terms =S

I got that project horizon is for high impedance headphones specifically with more power... but I am not sure what is upgraded jumping from starlight to sunrise 2 to ember.

please helpa noobie :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #98 of 1,366
  hey cld someone please explain to me the differences between the different Garage1217 projects (starlight vs sunrise 2 vs ember)? I read the full descriptions for each one but it all sounds like mumbo jumbo to mee lol. I need it explained in practical layman terms =S

I got that project horizon is for high impedance headphones specifically with more power... but I am not sure what is upgraded jumping from starlight to sunrise 2 to ember.

Basically the ember has more power and more customizability as far as resistance and gain settings that affect sound

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #102 of 1,366
The review-unit Project Ember got in a couple of days ago, and I have to say it's one of the coolest-looking DIY-type amps that I've ever seen. I didn't think I would like the open-frame-style chassis but it's not that bad, and the plexiglass top is just awesome.

I'd post initial impressions but I recently got new headphones (Sennheiser HD598 and Shure SRH1540) and I'm adjusting to them as well. So I'll just post a pic for now. Since most of the pics I've seen have been annoyingly dark, I decided to make it annoyingly bright.
tongue.gif

(click for larger)

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #103 of 1,366
Yep.. I dig the open chassis design, too.. it's fun to be able to look at all the parts that went into this beautiful little amp.  It helps all the soldering work is exquisitely done, so it all looks very clean and professional (and they used top grade caps and things).  I've had the Ember for a month or two now.. it's simply terrific.  It sounded a bit harsh, ootb.. and for a good few weeks, actually.. but with use, it smoothed and and seems very transparent to the tube one rolls in.  It's a very powerful amp too.. I've thrown the HD600, HD650, LCD-X, and the HE-500 at it.. and it doesn't break a sweat.  Aside from being able to drive those phones to deafening levels, it's a refined amp that provides excellent depth an control.  I've got an LCD-2 coming this week, so I'm interested to see how it plays with the Ember.  I have a Schiit Vali here as well.. another terrific amp.. the biggest difference between the Vali & Ember is the Ember has a deeper stage and more powerful low end.  I'd be perfectly happy with the Vali, but the Ember is a great value for a couple hundred more, too.

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #104 of 1,366
  Yep.. I dig the open chassis design, too.. it's fun to be able to look at all the parts that went into this beautiful little amp.  It helps all the soldering work is exquisitely done, so it all looks very clean and professional (and they used top grade caps and things).  I've had the Ember for a month or two now.. it's simply terrific.  It sounded a bit harsh, ootb.. and for a good few weeks, actually.. but with use, it smoothed and and seems very transparent to the tube one rolls in.  It's a very powerful amp too.. I've thrown the HD600, HD650, LCD-X, and the HE-500 at it.. and it doesn't break a sweat.  Aside from being able to drive those phones to deafening levels, it's a refined amp that provides excellent depth an control.  I've got an LCD-2 coming this week, so I'm interested to see how it plays with the Ember.  I have a Schiit Vali here as well.. another terrific amp.. the biggest difference between the Vali & Ember is the Ember has a deeper stage and more powerful low end.  I'd be perfectly happy with the Vali, but the Ember is a great value for a couple hundred more, too.

I can dig it, he can dig it, she can dig it, we can dig it, they can dig it, you can dig it
oh, let's dig it. can you dig it, baby?
I can dig it, he can dig it, she can dig it, we can dig it, they can dig it, you can dig it
oh, let's dig it. 
can you dig it, baby?

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #105 of 1,366

Basically the ember has more power and more customizability as far as resistance and gain settings that affect sound

I have Ember, PS2 and Starlight so here goes:

Starlight:
     1. Accepts higher heater current tubes than Ember.
     2. Uses opamps in the output stage. There are two sockets per channel--the amps are "paralleled" so that all four (two per IC) outputs combine. So you take the output spec (data         
      sheet) and multiply by four to get your output current. Because they are in sockets, you can roll the output section like the tube. Because it is not Class A operation the output section  
      runs slightly higher than room temp.
     3.  Low (1.5 ohm) and high (68 ohm) output resistance settings.
     4.  Manual bias setting via LED.
     5. Starlight is the entry level amp--it has a single color LED under the tube--the others have three color adjustments.
     6. Runs on 24 volts.

Sunrise 2:
     1. Accepts higher heater current tubes than Ember.
     2. Output resistance selection 5 and 68 ohms.
     3. Manual bias setting via LED.
     4. Class A output section--runs very warm but not hot--don't touch.
     5. Runs on 24 volts.

Ember:
      1. Easy tube rolling--just plug tube in and it determines the heater voltage automatically--BUT--it can't take higher current tubes like Sunrise 2 and Starlight.
      2. Opamp output section--low heat output.
      3. Three output resistance settings--.1, 35 and 150 ohm.
      4. Normal and high (+6db) gain tube settings.
      5. Has enough power to run any dynamic headphone so far. Because of this it runs on 48 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back