Project Ember Review
Jul 11, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,052 of 1,366
Yeah damping probably is the issue.
I must confess I thought the ability to vary the output impedance was more to do with the 'times 8' damping formula than as a deliberate method of fine tuning the bass of all types of headphones, irrespective of impedance.
I suppose it comes down to the same thing though- trust your ears!

Solderdude meant it to be more like a bass 'honing' facility. Some headphones react more to it than others.

120 ohms output impedance used to be the norm years back but modern designs tend to get as close to zero as possible.

I think you are right. Instead of just believing an 8x theory, it is in fact better to let your ears judge. If it sounds good, then that's fine.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,054 of 1,366
Wow, that has to be the very original Ember.

It probably was- I'm very old too 
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,057 of 1,366
  My Ember is about 2 years old (pretty sure its the original) but it has the caps by-pass and input gain jumpers.  Had to install supercharger later

yes mine has caps bypass but it's on the input not output, and at the back it appears to be an 'attenuation' jumper rather than a 'gain' jumper.

So it doesn't increase the gain if the signal is low, it lowers the signal if the input is high so as to afford more use of the vol pot. At least that's always been my understanding.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,058 of 1,366
Mine 'gain' setting is also jumper. I always have enough gain with jumper in low setting. If the input is low, I use High gain.
That's my understanding.
Or maybe we talk about the same thing but different perspective? :D

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,059 of 1,366
Mine 'gain' setting is also jumper. I always have enough gain with jumper in low setting. If the input is low, I use High gain.
That's my understanding.
Or maybe we talk about the same thing but different perspective?
biggrin.gif

Yes we are saying the same thing really. I'm a bit drugged up with pain killers for a twisted back just now so apologies if I'm not thinking straight.
At least my hearing is not affected. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,060 of 1,366
  Yes we are saying the same thing really. I'm a bit drugged up with pain killers for a twisted back just now so apologies if I'm not thinking straight.
At least my hearing is not affected. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to hear that mate, I genuinely feel your pain having been there more than once. Top Tip - get your Doc to prescribe Tramadol & your hearing will astonish you. :wink:

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #1,064 of 1,366
I can't see why anyone would want to use an Ember with iem's if I'm honest. The gain is probably too much and although it's a hybrid, tubes are happier with higher impedance headphones in any case. The noise floor might also be noticeable with an iem.

Seems a bit too 'belts and braces' approach to be using a hybrid tube amp with an iem.

Even a Denon D2000 seems a bit low for it really to me. I tend to avoid the Ember with it actually and use something else.

An inquiry would be preferred over an assumption filled rant.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back