1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Project Ember Review

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by razrr1275, Aug 7, 2013.
First

Back
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
Next

Last
  1. HOWIE13
    It's a horrid, quite loud scratchy noise too. Can't be much good for the ears.

2. iancraig10

Solderdude meant it to be more like a bass 'honing' facility. Some headphones react more to it than others.

120 ohms output impedance used to be the norm years back but modern designs tend to get as close to zero as possible.

I think you are right. Instead of just believing an 8x theory, it is in fact better to let your ears judge. If it sounds good, then that's fine.

HOWIE13 likes this.
  3. RedBull

Wow, that has to be the very original Ember.

4. HOWIE13
    It probably was- I'm very old too [​IMG]

5. RedBull
    I also not young :D

6. DavidA
    My Ember is about 2 years old (pretty sure its the original) but it has the caps by-pass and input gain jumpers.  Had to install supercharger later

7. HOWIE13
    yes mine has caps bypass but it's on the input not output, and at the back it appears to be an 'attenuation' jumper rather than a 'gain' jumper.

So it doesn't increase the gain if the signal is low, it lowers the signal if the input is high so as to afford more use of the vol pot. At least that's always been my understanding.

Solrighal likes this.
  8. RedBull
    Mine 'gain' setting is also jumper. I always have enough gain with jumper in low setting. If the input is low, I use High gain.
    That's my understanding.
    Or maybe we talk about the same thing but different perspective? :D

9. HOWIE13
    Yes we are saying the same thing really. I'm a bit drugged up with pain killers for a twisted back just now so apologies if I'm not thinking straight.
    At least my hearing is not affected. [​IMG] 

10. Solrighal

Sorry to hear that mate, I genuinely feel your pain having been there more than once. Top Tip - get your Doc to prescribe Tramadol & your hearing will astonish you. :wink:

HOWIE13 likes this.
  11. iancraig10

Loadsa rest......

Don't rush back to athletics!!!

12. HOWIE13
    Thanks, Gordon. Actually I tried Tramadol and I felt really weird but they did work for a short period.[​IMG]

13. HOWIE13
    [​IMG]
    I'll wait a few weeks Ian.

14. ericr

An inquiry would be preferred over an assumption filled rant.

-Eric

15. ericr

Or alternatively, take the headphones off for a second while changing the jumper. :)

First

Back
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
Next

Last