1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Project Ember Review

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by razrr1275, Aug 7, 2013.
First

Back
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
Next

Last
  1. DavidA

Tried my modded SR-225e on the Ember at 120ohms, it does mellow the Grado sound a lot, maybe a little too much. 

2. iancraig10
    Turn it up!!!! :wink:

You'll get the feeling that it has more bass hopefully.

3. DavidA
    It actually has too much bass since I added the dynamat and sorbothane in the cups, its a much better sound on the 0.1 setting.

4. amigastar
    I can definitely say that High Output (120 ohm) mellows my Akg K501 (which i have to use atm) out.
    The sound is warmer for sure.
    Can i change the Output impedance while having the Ember 2.0 running or should i turn it off while changing?

5. DecentLevi
    Yes myself and others have been able to change all adjustable parameters of the Ember without turning it off

6. iancraig10

Oh yes, I forgot about the AKG's. They do indeed get slightly warmed up.

That's actually why Solderdude put the feature onto the amps along with the gain options. A subtle bass boost!!

7. RedBull
    That's the beauty of Ember, able to compensate to many headphone sound signature when necessary, like having multiple amps at the same time.

And don't forget, you still have gain settings at the back! This is useful to help boost weak source signal, of course.

8. Solrighal

I would avoid fiddling about with the output capacitor bypass jumpers while the amp is powered up if I were you.

9. HOWIE13
    My earlier version of Ember doesn't have settings to increase gain or output capacitor bypass jumpers.  [​IMG]

I can check my version of Ember tomorrow, it's about 1-2 years old.                                                  

10. HOWIE13
    I agree, particularly with the HD600/650 which, a bit surprisingly in the case of the HD650, do seem to benefit from a higher output impedance.

However, with many cans the increased warmth in the bass is not very good bass, being muddy, and worsens the sound.

Trial and error really.

11. iancraig10
    Due to poorer damping?

If that is the case, then there is always the middle setting.

12. ericr
    The higher impedance settings can be helpful for full size headphones. Especially those with dynamic drivers it can tame the high end (the highest setting almost made the Beyer T90 tolerable).

However with most all IEMS, the bass will be loose or even bloated unless run at the lowest impedance setting.

13. ericr

Jeremey did give the OK to do this, so it's not a problem for the amp.

I notice a pop or click though, so I either turn the volume all the way down or power off first.

14. iancraig10

I can't see why anyone would want to use an Ember with iem's if I'm honest. The gain is probably too much and although it's a hybrid, tubes are happier with higher impedance headphones in any case. The noise floor might also be noticeable with an iem.

Seems a bit too 'belts and braces' approach to be using a hybrid tube amp with an iem.

Even a Denon D2000 seems a bit low for it really to me. I tend to avoid the Ember with it actually and use something else.

15. HOWIE13
    Yeah damping probably is the issue.
    I must confess I thought the ability to vary the output impedance was more to do with the 'times 8' damping formula than as a deliberate method of fine tuning the bass of all types of headphones, irrespective of impedance.
    I suppose it comes down to the same thing though- trust your ears!

First

Back
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
Next

Last