Project Ember Review
Jul 2, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #961 of 1,366
This amp is really getting my attention....anyone have any knowledge on how the ZMF Vibro does with it? I am using a Vali first gen at the moment and after hearing my buddies amp (highly praised and not trying to name drop for sake of sales pitch....) I can hear the difference in what I am missing with more power.... Anyhoo I care more about how musical an amp is then to dry and analytical. Any insight on the matter would be helpful. Started at page 25 to about 30 before I posted btw. Also feel free to PM me if you feel this is too off topic.

I don't know how the Ember will sound with the ZMF Vibro but I know the Vali is not a great amp for low impedance headphones.  The Ember is one of the most flexible amps around, it will drive a planar like the HE-400i/560 quite well and also work with high impedance headphones like HD-600/650/800.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #962 of 1,366
I don't know how the Ember will sound with the ZMF Vibro but I know the Vali is not a great amp for low impedance headphones.  The Ember is one of the most flexible amps around, it will drive a planar like the HE-400i/560 quite well and also work with high impedance headphones like HD-600/650/800.

Gotcha. I am interested to read more about this and see if it's the move I want to make. Thanks for your input

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #964 of 1,366
Gotcha. I am interested to read more about this and see if it's the move I want to make. Thanks for your input

Email Jeremy! Garage1217 is pretty much a two-person operation, but their customer support is awesome.

From what I've read, the Project Sunrise and Solstice are the more "tubey" sounding amps in their lineup. This page might help you decide.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #966 of 1,366
Email Jeremy! Garage1217 is pretty much a two-person operation, but their customer support is awesome.

From what I've read, the Project Sunrise and Solstice are the more "tubey" sounding amps in their lineup. This page might help you decide.

Also I just had time to look at that spreadsheet. Freaking awesome....

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #969 of 1,366

IMO, the Polaris is better with low impedance headphones than the Ember. I find the noise levels slightly higher on the Ember so that you can get slight hiss on low impedance headphones. The Polaris is a bit more flexible with output power and also input, although the input power doesn't affect noise levels.

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #970 of 1,366
IMO, the Polaris is better with low impedance headphones than the Ember. I find the noise levels slightly higher on the Ember so that you can get slight hiss on low impedance headphones. The Polaris is a bit more flexible with output power and also input, although the input power doesn't affect noise levels.

The Vali drove me nuts with the hiss I got from it with my k712... sent it back to them and they fixed it immediately. (Still not sure what it was that happened) but I bring this up because I can't stand much sound on the noise floor. So I will look into the Polaris as well. I just figured ember was the powerhouse and that was what i was missing. Thanks for the advice.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #971 of 1,366
Using my 400i's through my new Polaris, i hear absolutley no noise or anything like that, really really love this amp cant even go past 9 oclock without blowing my ears off! :D (modi2U dac)

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #972 of 1,366
Hello,

got a question:
when using the volume knob i hear a little scratching.
Is this normal, i happen to read somewhere about it but can't remember the answer. It only occurs when making louder and quieter though.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #973 of 1,366
I wanted to chime in here.

I am using my Ember with a 6N6P tube, with my LCD-X headphones and LOVING it. 

It blows the Schiit Asgard 2 out of the water to my ears. I hear zero noise. And no scratching when adjusting the volume (for what it's worth).

To get a better sound, I would next go to a different DAC, though not sure which one. To get better sound out of my amp, I'm sure would thousands of dollars and even then I'm not sure it would be much better.

The Ember 2 rocks for me.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #974 of 1,366
  Hello,

got a question:
when using the volume knob i hear a little scratching.
Is this normal, i happen to read somewhere about it but can't remember the answer. It only occurs when making louder and quieter though.

Yes it's normal and occurs with some tubes and not others.

If you look at the manual you will see how to invoke the input capacitors to remove the scratchiness but if it's mild and doesn't bother you I personally wouldn't bother.
As you say it isn't heard during play unless you alter the volume.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #975 of 1,366
  I wanted to chime in here.

I am using my Ember with a 6N6P tube, with my LCD-X headphones and LOVING it. 

It blows the Schiit Asgard 2 out of the water to my ears. I hear zero noise. And no scratching when adjusting the volume (for what it's worth).

To get a better sound, I would next go to a different DAC, though not sure which one. To get better sound out of my amp, I'm sure would thousands of dollars and even then I'm not sure it would be much better.

The Ember 2 rocks for me.

Curious, what aspect of the Ember blows the Asgard2 out of the water to your ears?  And is that only with the LCD-X or with other headphones as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back