Project Ember Review
Jul 7, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #991 of 1,366
tongue.gif

Tube rolling can become an obsession. I know one guy who spent more on tubes than the amp and really hasn't a clue what the Ember sounds like any more!!!

You now know 2 persons that spent more on tubes than the cost of the amp and this applies to my Ember, Lyr2 and BH Crack
rolleyes.gif
, but I still know what my Ember sounds like
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #992 of 1,366
Ember is only using a fraction of the tube life in operation voltage, unlike other tube amps who burn the tube like the max -》the amp gets really got -》shorter tube life.
IMO, Ember tube life could be longer than its stated on paper.

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #993 of 1,366
Ember is only using a fraction of the tube life in operation voltage, unlike other tube amps who burn the tube like the max -》the amp gets really got -》shorter tube life.
IMO, Ember tube life could be longer than its stated on paper.

If that's the case then I have about 2 life times worth of tubes
eek.gif
, I was figuring about 2000 hours per tube so I figured I would "use up" two per year on average since I tend to keep the amps on about 8-16 hours per day.

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #994 of 1,366
I am not so sure about 2x (maybe more, hehe) the lifetime but I am pretty sure with low voltage flow into the tube can prolonged the lifetime of the tube :D
Also, turning the amp on and off more frequently tend to kill the tubes faster.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #997 of 1,366
I am not so sure about 2x (maybe more, hehe) the lifetime but I am pretty sure with low voltage flow into the tube can prolonged the lifetime of the tube
biggrin.gif

Also, turning the amp on and off more frequently tend to kill the tubes faster.

I think someone told me this, so at the most I turn on or off my tube amps once a day.

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,000 of 1,366
Mine's is on all the time but I use it as a pre-amp for everything.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,002 of 1,366
I'm going to have to re-think my habits. I switch on and off each time I have a listening session- maybe 3-4 times a day.

I switch mine on at whatever time and then turn off before going to bed. Sometimes it's on first thing in the morning while at other times, maybe early evening.

I don't switch on and off on the same day. Polaris goes on all day as well.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,003 of 1,366
I switch mine on at whatever time and then turn off before going to bed. Sometimes it's on first thing in the morning while at other times, maybe early evening.

I don't switch on and off on the same day. Polaris goes on all day as well.

My problem is I'll forget to turn it off before I go to bed so it will be on all night as well!

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,004 of 1,366
  Hi Gordon

Don't you find it a bit warm in your sunny climes having it on all day? 
biggrin.gif

I live in Hawaii and have 3 space heaters, Lyr2 (hottest), BH Crack (very hot) and Ember (not bad actually).  The Asgard2 is also rather hot running, about the same as the BH Crack.

My problem is I'll forget to turn it off before I go to bed so it will be on all night as well!

I've fell asleep many times on my recliner with everything still turned on, including the computer.  When I get up I just leave them on since I want to listen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back