1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Project Ember Review

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by razrr1275, Aug 7, 2013.
First

Back
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Next

Last
  1. DavidA
    You now know 2 persons that spent more on tubes than the cost of the amp and this applies to my Ember, Lyr2 and BH Crack [​IMG], but I still know what my Ember sounds like [​IMG]

2. RedBull
    Ember is only using a fraction of the tube life in operation voltage, unlike other tube amps who burn the tube like the max -》the amp gets really got -》shorter tube life.
    IMO, Ember tube life could be longer than its stated on paper.

3. DavidA

If that's the case then I have about 2 life times worth of tubes [​IMG], I was figuring about 2000 hours per tube so I figured I would "use up" two per year on average since I tend to keep the amps on about 8-16 hours per day.

4. RedBull
    I am not so sure about 2x (maybe more, hehe) the lifetime but I am pretty sure with low voltage flow into the tube can prolonged the lifetime of the tube :D
    Also, turning the amp on and off more frequently tend to kill the tubes faster.

5. husafreak
    My Ember didn't ship with 6n6p stock. But when I bought it I asked Jeremy to put a great all around Tube in the box and he recommended it for $20 extra. It is a good Tube.

6. RedBull
    What tube did you get?

7. DavidA
    I think someone told me this, so at the most I turn on or off my tube amps once a day.

Solrighal likes this.
  8. RedBull
    Yup, I think that would be able to prolonged tube life.

9. HOWIE13
    I'm going to have to re-think my habits. I switch on and off each time I have a listening session- maybe 3-4 times a day.

10. Solrighal
    Mine's is on all the time but I use it as a pre-amp for everything.

11. HOWIE13
    Hi Gordon

Don't you find it a bit warm in your sunny climes having it on all day? [​IMG]

Solrighal likes this.
  12. iancraig10

I switch mine on at whatever time and then turn off before going to bed. Sometimes it's on first thing in the morning while at other times, maybe early evening.

I don't switch on and off on the same day. Polaris goes on all day as well.

13. HOWIE13
    My problem is I'll forget to turn it off before I go to bed so it will be on all night as well!

14. DavidA
    I live in Hawaii and have 3 space heaters, Lyr2 (hottest), BH Crack (very hot) and Ember (not bad actually).  The Asgard2 is also rather hot running, about the same as the BH Crack.

I've fell asleep many times on my recliner with everything still turned on, including the computer.  When I get up I just leave them on since I want to listen again.

Tuneslover likes this.
  15. DecentLevi
    Well when it comes to the largest of tubes such as EL3N, I get a feeling they should last longer with less on/off so I try to leave the (Elise) on even when not in use for a while.

First

Back
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Next

Last