Project Ember Review
Aug 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #61 of 1,366
Hey y'all,

Got the kit version of ember about a month back and since been building and toying around with some mods(more for usability/transportability).
Manage to integrate the ODAC in the chassis and have move the led pot to the front for easy access.

Tubes I've got and tried so far are Electro-Harmonix 6922,6922 gold,12ax7,Shu Guang 12au7,RCA 12au7 cleartop and Voskhod 6n1p(the last 2 courtesy of jeremy).
Currently using the Shu Guang 12au7(my favorite and might be permanent) tube as I find it to be the least hiss/noise prone for my AKG K701 and Maddog with high gain,
low output impedance and with input caps bypass setting, also the scratching sound that you hear with other tubes when changing volume(when input caps are bypassed) 
is not present with it. Very powerful amp indeed and overall I'm very happy with it and it really pairs well with my K701.

The front with the LED trimmer pots easily accessible

Back view with the ODAC underneath

Top view

Bottom View

The ember with it's partner K701 
L3000.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #62 of 1,366
How does shu guang compare to rca clear top in terms of transparency and crispness and clearness?

Thank You

Aakshey

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #65 of 1,366
here you go my answer 
biggrin.gif

Ha nice. Great job BTW, odac integration is cool and LED trimmers on the front - perfect! I would always be changing the color :)

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #67 of 1,366
I used a pair of dt900 600 ohms with the ember, and it worked great. It's plenty of power for your needs.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #68 of 1,366
  Anyone care to compare it with the Little Dot I + ? OP mentioned he/she tested against it, but I haven't seen any comparisons. Also, would the 380mW into 600 Ohm be enough for some DT990 600?

The main difference in sound sig is that the Little Dot is more airy while the Ember has a more full vivid sound. The Ember also has more impact and is more vivid with better dynamics and soundstage. Basically different sound signature + all around better. As for the power that's plenty for that impedance. I have a set of AKG K240 Sextetts (also 600 ohm) and it drives them just fine. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #69 of 1,366
  The main difference in sound sig is that the Little Dot is more airy while the Ember has a more full vivid sound. The Ember also has more impact and is more vivid with better dynamics and soundstage. Basically different sound signature + all around better. As for the power that's plenty for that impedance. I have a set of AKG K240 Sextetts (also 600 ohm) and it drives them just fine. 

Do you think much of that difference would be down to differences between the tubes used in either amp?

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #72 of 1,366
Hi

Will just take a minute, hope you decide to help :)

Is ember's sound quality (not features/ not power) better than sunrise ii? No or slightly or audibly? More detailed, transparent, refined or not?

ESP with hd 650.

Thank You so much

Aakshey

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #73 of 1,366
Hi

Will just take a minute, hope you decide to help
smily_headphones1.gif

Is ember's sound quality (not features/ not power) better than sunrise ii? No or slightly or audibly? More detailed, transparent, refined or not?

ESP with hd 650.

Thank You so much

Aakshey

Here we go again with spamming me with pms and then digging up every single thread you can find and posting the same question in it. Stop. I am not going to respond. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #75 of 1,366
Yeah he's been doing this with me ever since I started my blog in the summer. I'm really sorry if anyone does genuinely have that question but with techboy I know for sure that right after I answer that he'll send me another series of pms with 5 more and I just don't have the time to deal with that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back