Prog rock
May 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,771 of 4,442
Just wanted to ask here, what do you suggest on checking out that has the same idea behind their music as The Beatles, A Perfect Circle and Tool? This is a question only for those who know and understand what their music is about.
I'd say...Steely Dan. Nice arrangements, cryptic lyrics, cynical overtones, memorable songs.

May 26, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,773 of 4,442
If you wanted to reach way back, and can deal with the Brit Pop Jazz verssion....then go with Joe Jackson.

If you want it in Folk - Bluegrass, then go with Aoife O'Donovan

And let's be sure to add some Iron Butterfly :wink:

May 28, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,778 of 4,442
I won't try answering your question, because I don't understand what my music is about lol, but have you heard A Perfect Circle or Tool? And what do you mean by "the same idea behind their music"? Do you mean "music that is sounds similar", or do you mean something else?
Something else entirely.

May 28, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #1,779 of 4,442
Thx, for the suggestions, Steely dan seems to be spot on, will know for sure after this weekend...

May 28, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,780 of 4,442
May 28, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,781 of 4,442
Loving the new Spock's Beard album, I've been playing it and nothing else since friday :)

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,782 of 4,442
Just wanted to ask here, what do you suggest on checking out that has the same idea behind their music as The Beatles, A Perfect Circle and Tool? This is a question only for those who know and understand what their music is about.

This is a really great question. I would check out Yes - especially if you are really into Laterallus and like the melodies/harmonies of the Beatles.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #1,783 of 4,442
I'd say...Steely Dan. Nice arrangements, cryptic lyrics, cynical overtones, memorable songs.

This is a really great question. I would check out Yes - especially if you are really into Laterallus and like the melodies/harmonies of the Beatles.
Thanks,both of you, exactly what I was looking for.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,784 of 4,442
I'm not sure it's easy to appreciate how ground-breaking Genesis was in the early 70's. No one sounded like this, and their songs were more accessible than early Yes and King Crimson. Hacket's haunting guitar breaks always left me wanting more!

Hard to believe this is 45 years ago!!!!

Selling England by the Pound is my all time favorite album, the lyrics, the melodies are all out of this world, it has got to be one of their best albums! IMO.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,785 of 4,442
Lunatic Soul

-
-

-
-
-

I have only recently been introduced to Lunatic Soul and so far I think the music is epic! But having bought the latest album, I am disappointed, some of it is repetitive and just not to the standard I have gotten to know from this style of music, maybe just me!
While talking of Lunatic Soul, I am looking for some "new to me" music based around the sounds of Lunatic Soul and Amarok, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back