Prog rock
May 9, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #1,744 of 4,432
May 9, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,745 of 4,432

well, see there.......you've jammed me up.
the issue is, ... i want you to see Shawn play, but, when he was doing his thing, video and sound quality was VCR tape......Cassette tape..
"berk".
So, on one hand, i am the last person on the earth to post fuzzy sound quality stuff here for anyone, but, i want to turn you on to Shawn so that you might be able
to bond with his aura and incredible talent.
Shawn was the fastest of all the fast fingered players, and all of them , in our day, pay devout homage to Shawn, as all pro guitar players know of him, and many are still affected by his untimely passing.
How did that happen?...Well, he is a musician....(and i speak of him as in the present, as obviously the body dies, but the Spirit , the real you, continues), so, Shawn was a guitar playing & gigging
performer since he was 11 yrs old.
So, in the real world.... unless you are one of the lucky handful of music makers who find real (media) success playing guitar, ...very rare, you end up playing to eat, and playing to survive, or you eventually get tired of the poverty and end up selling Toyota's, which, is actually not a bad thing, as they are great cars, but, if you are a musician, and this is your heartbeat, then, no matter what you find to do, it wont satisfy you, because you are born to PLAY.
In his case, once he turned about 24 and not long after he released the 1st of only 2 Albums he ever recorded...("Powers of 10"), The "machine" put him on the covers of all the guitar magazines and then when that all kinda faded
he still had bills, and so, off he went.
He then developed a health situation that plagued him constantly, and finally killed him, and he died similar to Mozart......broke, and basically forgotten.
Did you know that Mozart was buried in an unmarked grave?....> He had no money in the bank........not even enough for a grave marker, much less a headstone and all the trimmings.
Today, in Salsberg, you can find Mozart's fancy grave memorial, but, its quite possible that the body that is in it, is not even his, as they just threw him in a hole the day they buried him, along with quite a few other paupers.
So, anyway, and of course, all the real musicians who gig, (worldwide) and who play Fusion, Jazz, Rock, or similar type guitar, all know who Shawn Lane is, and are crazy about him.

Here is the thing.........Shawn had this way of playing extremely fast, yet very lyrically, very melodically......it was never just scales and tricks and licks.
And for you now, is a really old video of him playing a song from "Powers of 10" in front of a "school for guitarist" in the early 90s........ Its called "Grey Piano's Flying", and he got the idea for the tune when living in a cheap boarding houses in Paris, hanging out in the jazz clubs at night, soaking up the nightlife vibe, in France, and became inspired to put this tune on his 1st solo album.
The other cool thing, ... is the album....> He plays all the instruments, all the parts, and when he finished it, he then went back and doubled all the instruments and all the solos.....everything.....then mixed it himself, and once he finished the entire album 2x he handed it to his Record Company who mastered it, and put it out. Shanw then went right back out to begin again the life of a starving musician and basically continued this way till he died.

Sorry about the quality of this Vid, but, in the decade it was made, people were taping on VCR tape.
It is what is is, and here he is. :)

And FYI, (reader) now that your head has been stuffed with SL legend, you can get on with any guitar player and talk Shawnese, and they'll think you are so cooooooooool, ......:)

And of course i would be criminally remiss if i didnt post one song from "Powers of 10".

:)

-
-
-

-
-
-

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,746 of 4,432
well, see there.......you've jammed me up.
the issue is, ... i want you to see Shawn play, but, when he was doing his thing, video and sound quality was VCR tape......Cassette tape..
"berk".
So, on one hand, i am the last person on the earth to post fuzzy sound quality stuff here for anyone, but, i want to turn you on to Shawn so that you might be able
to bond with his aura and incredible talent.
Shawn was probably the fastest of all the fast fingered players, and all of them , in our day, pay devout homage to Shawn, as all pro guitar players know of him, and many are still affected by his untimely passing.
How did that happen?...Well, he is a musician....(and i speak of him as in the present, as obviously the body dies, but the Spirit , the real you, continues), so, Shawn was a guitar playing & gigging
performer since he was 11 yrs old.
So, in the real world.... unless you are one of the lucky handful of music makers who find real success playing guitar, ...very rare, you end up playing to eat, and playing to survive, or you eventually get tired of the poverty and end up selling Toyota's, which, is actually not a bad thing, as they are great cars, but, if you are a musician, and this is your heartbeat, then, no matter what you find to do, it wont satisfy you, because you are born to PLAY.
In his case, once he turned about 24 and not long after he released the 1st of only 2 Albums he ever recorded...("Powers of 10"), The "machine" put him on the covers of all the guitar magazines and then when that all kinda faded
he still had bills, and so, off he went.
He then developed a health situation that plagued him constantly, and finally killed him, and he died similar to Mozart......broke, and basically forgotten.
Did you know that Mozart was buried in an unmarked grave?....> He had no money in the bank........not even enough for a grave marker, much less a headstone and all the trimmings.
Today, in Salsberg, you can find Mozart's fancy grave memorial, but, its quite possible that the body that is in it, is not even his, as they just threw him in a hole the day they buried him, along with quite a few other paupers.
So, anyway, and of course, all the real musicians who gig, and who play Fusion, Jazz, Rock, or similar type guitar, all know who Shawn Lane is, and are crazy about him.

Here is the thing.........Shawn had this way of playing extremely fast, yet very lyrically, very melodically......it was never just scales and tricks and licks.
And for you now, is a really old video of him playing a song from "Powers of 10" in front of a "school for guitarist" in the early 90s........ Its called "Grey Piano's Flying", and he got the idea for the tune when living in a cheap boarding houses in Paris, hanging out in the jazz clubs at night, soaking up the nightlife, in France, and became inspired.
The other cool thing, ... is the album....> He plays all the instruments, all the parts, and when he finished it, he then went back and doubled all the instruments and all the solos.....everything.....then mixed it himself, and once he finished the entire album 2x he handed it to his Record Company who mastered it, and put it out. Shanw then went right back out to begin again the life of a starving musician and basically continued this way till he died.

Sorry about the quality of this Vid, but, in the decade it was made, people were taping on VCR tape.
It is what is is, and here he is. :)

And FYI, not that your head has been stuffed with SL legend, you can get on with any guitar player and talk Shawnese, and they'll think you are so cooooooooool, ......:)

-
-
-

No worries about the quality of the vid... I had already found and watched it lol. While listening to "New", I had to find out how he was making those subtle and inexplicable sounds with his guitar. So I found Gray Pianos Flying. Simply amazing. His wikipedia page was informing, but thanks for adding more salient information about him, and adding your personal sentiments about how important he was to you and other guitar players. I've got him playing through Tidal now, and it's a good ride!

May 10, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,747 of 4,432
I agree, but I'm not leaving.

Not to be a jack-ass, but there are plenty of threads for jazz/pop/rock and everything in-between. It would be nice, really nice, if fans of Progressive Rock could maintain a thread dedicated to...I don't know....perhaps Progressive rock.

But lately, I'm getting a bad "Love Beach" flashback, man...

:)

Sorry, couldn't help myself...but seriously, one of the best (i.e., worst) album covers of all time.
upload_2018-5-10_9-14-0.jpeg

And apologies for the first post overload - with several selections deviating from the "essence" of prog. If it got lost in the shuffle, at least check out Ciccada:

May 10, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #1,749 of 4,432
Sorry, couldn't help myself...but seriously, one of the best (i.e., worst) album covers of all time.

And apologies for the first post overload - with several selections deviating from the "essence" of prog. If

NC7oA8

May 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,750 of 4,432
It may not appeal to everyone, but Big Big Train is the main reason I've delved into the world of "high end" audio. I just want to hear every little thing they've put into their albums, and there is a lot to listen; I mean, to me that is. When it comes to music appreciation things can get so pedantic, so conceited and so pretentious, so fast. However, I absolutely adore this song from them:

The lyrics, the themes, the arrangements, the solos. All of that song just ticks every box about what I like in a song, and things I didn't knew I like!

May 10, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,751 of 4,432
It may not appeal to everyone, but Big Big Train is the main reason I've delved into the world of "high end" audio. I just want to hear every little thing they've put into their albums, and there is a lot to listen; I mean, to me that is. When it comes to music appreciation things can get so pedantic, so conceited and so pretentious, so fast. However, I absolutely adore this song from them:

The lyrics, the themes, the arrangements, the solos. All of that song just ticks every box about what I like in a song, and things I didn't knew I like!

I absolutely love this band!

May 11, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,752 of 4,432

Very interesting.
In some ways it reminds me of early Genesis, when Peter Gabriel sang, as the lead singer to my ear, sounds a bit like PG, and they use an organ sound, (lead) that reminds me of early Yes and also Deep Purple.
The violin is an interesting touch, as this and the vocal harmonies give the song a bit of a "folk feel".

I'll tell you what i miss.
I miss Rush.
I always find myself hoping that a Rush-Like band will emerge, complete with clever lyrics, a unique singer, and very unique songs played by 3pc that just kills it.
Well, good luck with that.....:)

A lot of people like Dream Theater, but they leave me cold, and unimpressed.
I guess that Rush was a once in a lifetime, and so, im glad that in my lifetime i was able to enjoy them.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #1,754 of 4,432
I'll tell you what i miss.
I miss Rush.
I always find myself hoping that a Rush-Like band will emerge, complete with clever lyrics, a unique singer, and very unique songs played by 3pc that just kills it.
Well, good luck with that.....:)

+1. Absolutely incredible live as well.

May 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,755 of 4,432
+1. Absolutely incredible live as well.

oh YES. !!
Im gonna post 2 Rush songs here....... they are, i think on my "channel thread", but i want to put them here also, as i cant get enough of these songs.... :)
-
-

-
-
Permanent Waves is my fav Rush album...
-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back