Prog rock
May 2, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #1,727 of 4,478
May 2, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,728 of 4,478
Ok, maybe this is not the exact "cup of tea", regarding what we who are in the know, think of as "Prog."
However, this Black Chick is so advanced within her understanding of music making....@= She's like a female Jimi Hendrix if he was making bebop while singing and playing wicked bass lines.
I cant listen to a lot of her stuff, as its so far "outside" that i feel like (when listening) that i need a chain of rope to tie my sanity down, as her stuff can just get......... crazy....
However, she's special, and so, let me turn you on to this one.....

-
-

Agreed - "Good Lava" is definitely prog influenced:

May 2, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #1,729 of 4,478
Where to put this new video i just made within the music section here........hummmm.
Pink Floyd is a lot of things,.... Prog, Acid Rock, Pop, Folk.....etc.
So, i guess i'll post it here in Prog world.
Enjoy..
-
-
-
-

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #1,730 of 4,478
Agreed - "Good Lava" is definitely prog influenced:

-
-
Yes.
For me, the way she approaches making her music is a bit frustrating to HEAR. As, i think she has such a "everything has to be way outside of the box to be good", mentality, that by only releasing the 'way out" type jazz-fusion-prog, she is refusing to accept that the musical fringe will always be the fringe of forgotteness and lasting poverty, no matter how many Musical Icons have died there lonli and sick and addicted all trying to prove they are legendary.

Here is a song that she created from the Good Lava CD, that is proof she could do a killer album of her style of pop classics, if this idea seemingly was not anathema to her.
This song is sort of like Joni Mitchell, meets Stevie Wonder, meets LSD.

The thing is.......if you love to play, and you want a long career that generates money that is equal to your talent, then you have to write great songs.
Elton knew this.
Paul McCartney knows this.
Sting understands....
And these 3, can not write a great pop song anymore.
Something has left them........ the muse perhaps?
But, because they wrote so many great songs, in their past, they can now play and gig and continue to record, for infinity.
And Esperanza has apparently not understood that you have to write the GEMS, when you have the FIRE, if you dont want to end up eventually, dead in the fringe.

-
-

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,731 of 4,478
David Bowie is one of those artist that i could appreciate, but could never quite jell internally with, regarding most of his music.
I have the same internal reaction to most of the music of Prince.
Regarding David, I liked some of his "Spiders from Mars" China Girl, Changes, and these 2..
Im sorry that He and Prince are gone.
-

-
-
-

-
-]
-

May 5, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,733 of 4,478
Personally, I find their Watershed album to be the ultimate for them. It's the best combination of heavy & prog they ever made.
emphasis on heavy, I love the guitar production on Watershed. Ghost Reveries is my favorite, still to this day in terms of music writing and sonic production.

May 5, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,734 of 4,478
This thread got perplexing lately... I'm out of here, bye.

ahhh. it'll come back around. Why not try and drive it back to center? Just say things like King Crimson and Yes - people will knock the crap off. Besides, if you leave where am I going to pick up my "likes" now?

Really, I think it'll come back to normal if we help steer the dialogue. I'm guilty of deviating from pure progressive myself, so can't really point the finger at others. But I'd be glad to abide by some rules if the older posters can come up with them.

May 8, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #1,735 of 4,478
ahhh. it'll come back around. Why not try and drive it back to center? Just say things like King Crimson and Yes - people will knock the crap off. Besides, if you leave where am I going to pick up my "likes" now?

Really, I think it'll come back to normal if we help steer the dialogue. I'm guilty of deviating from pure progressive myself, so can't really point the finger at others. But I'd be glad to abide by some rules if the older posters can come up with them.
Is not a problem deviating from pure progressive, I did that too. There is a lot of good innovative and intelligent music that touches (often just slightly) on prog genre that's worth mentioning.
We don't need rules. Is just that I was subscribed to this thread to discuss and discover new music in an intelligent manner. If that's no longer the case, I won't waste my time. I don't get why somebody will "make" new videos of already well known, and already existing music on yt.
And I don't want to point fingers and comment more either. Bad for Karma :) But I guess I just did...

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,736 of 4,478
This thread got perplexing lately... I'm out of here, bye.

I agree, but I'm not leaving.

Not to be a jack-ass, but there are plenty of threads for jazz/pop/rock and everything in-between. It would be nice, really nice, if fans of Progressive Rock could maintain a thread dedicated to...I don't know....perhaps Progressive rock.

But lately, I'm getting a bad "Love Beach" flashback, man...

:)

May 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #1,738 of 4,478
Not even sure what the complaining is about. The mentions of Bowie and Prince? The prog pop posts? Prog is a pretty diverse genre that can encompass many conflicting tastes. For example, as much as I've tried to like Marillion, I just can't. Same with Dream Theater and others along those lines. No point in pouting when the thread goes in directions you're not interested in. Why not just steer it with your own contributions with substance?

Here's a couple new things I'm still digesting, so not a lot I can say about them yet:

May 9, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,740 of 4,478
Guthrie Govan & The Aristocrats.

Album : Culture Clash

-
-
-

--
-
-

Not a bad band. They really need to find a good guitarist though.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back