Prog rock
Dec 8, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #811 of 4,488

In memory of Greg Lake, listening to the Steven Wilson 96/24 remix of Court. Wow what a voice and not a half bad bass player :). He left us some of the finest music.

I don't have a hi res copy of Court and was looking at that remix today. It might have to be done.

Hey guys… It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. You all might not know me that well, but that was written with a bit of humor. That being the case, don't let that deter you from listening to this album. Oh, and for the record, I totally agree with in the court of the Crimson King. ..

No deterring. After a lot of Greg Lake listening today, I thought I'd give that Ayreon album a whirl. Only got through the first 5 tracks, and so far rather impressed (especially starting at Amazing Flight). I kept hearing someone who sounded an awful lot like Fish in there, so looked up the album, and lo and behold, it is Fish lol. Plus some other very good vocalists. Very cool. And now after having read more about Ayreon, I'm just blown away by the talent of Lucassen. This is a good thread!

Edit: the entire Into The Electric Castle album is awesome.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #812 of 4,488
Terrible year...Bernie Worrell of Parliament-Funkadelic, Nick Menza of Megadeath, Prince, Merle Haggard, Keith Emerson, Maurice White of EW&F, Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane, Bowie, and now Greg Lake.  But their music will live on, corny as that may sound. 

I've been listening to Caligula's Horse today and really liking it.  Reminds me of a heavy Perfect Circle.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #813 of 4,488
In the next two years it seems all the 60s and most of the 70s artist will be RIP.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #815 of 4,488
Also Keith took his own life after battling cancer. I am a survivor of prostate cancer. This is no joke. All you guys out there over 50 should get screened. It's no big deal. A blood test and a digital rectal exam. Yeah a doctor will stick his finger up your ass, but it's over faster than you can say "I don't like this". Prostate cancer, if caught early, is almost 100% cure able. One of my heroes, the late great Frank Zappa, died from this illness.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #817 of 4,488
  Also Keith took his own life after battling cancer. I am a survivor of prostate cancer. This is no joke. All you guys out there over 50 should get screened. It's no big deal. A blood test and a digital rectal exam. Yeah a doctor will stick his finger up your ass, but it's over faster than you can say "I don't like this". Prostate cancer, if caught early, is almost 100% cure able. One of my heroes, the late great Frank Zappa, died from this illness.

Very true. Not to be irreverent about a serious subject, but you absolutely have me laughing right out loud at work:)

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #818 of 4,488
Just ripped Kyros' new double album 'Vox Humana'. Kyros formally known as Synaesthesia released an a self titled first album in 2014. Their first album was excellent so one hopes the new album is as good. Progarchieves.com call them crossover progressive. The band is five millennials from the U.K. who bring a fresh modern touch to Prog music. I highly recommend them.

Post Script: I bought their EP 'Beta' last year solely to help fund this album so this is a band I think has a great deal of promise.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #819 of 4,488
Yeah, this really is a good thread. By far the best music thread I've been a part of since I've been on the Internet starting in 1998. The music you guys have shared with me over the past year has sometimes made it very hard to focus on graduate school. But, after tonight, my academic portion is over: all I have left is my internship. Woo hoo!

Now, I am definitely not the world's greatest Dream Theater. In fact, I've made some not so nice comments about them on occasion. But, this thread has really made me give a hard listen to bands I've pretty much ignored over the years, like Fates Warning and DT. In full disclosure, usually I listen to mostly stoner/doom, a release I did until the beginning of this year :)

Anyway, I got a Blu-ray of "Live at Luna Park", and for the first time I think I actually get it. Not only are these monster musicians, but the sheer joy of performance is infectious. I don't even know these songs, and I'm getting goosebumps while I'm watching it. But most of all, they really seem to respect and adore their fans just as much is the fans respect and adore them. I can't avoid it any longer, Dream Theater is amazing. Make that amazeballs, LOL.

I love the Blu-ray format for music, and I really love the fact that artists other than Stephen Wilson are embracing the format. The picture and sound quality of this Blu-ray is nothing short of stellar, and truly one of the best concerts I have ever watched on my TV. This is truly a golden age for our hobby, having so many different resources and formats to explore things with.

So if anyone on this thread hasn't heard or seen this concert yet, I highly highly highly recommend it.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #820 of 4,488
Just ripped Kyros' new double album 'Vox Humana'. Kyros formally known as Synaesthesia released an a self titled first album in 2014. Their first album was excellent so one hopes the new album is as good. Progarchieves.com call them crossover progressive. The band is five millennials from the U.K. who bring a fresh modern touch to Prog music. I highly recommend them.

Onto it! (thank goodness for Tidal lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back