Prog rock
Dec 7, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #796 of 4,569
Hey guys… It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. You all might not know me that well, but that was written with a bit of humor. That being the case, don't let that deter you from listening to this album. Oh, and for the record, I totally agree with in the court of the Crimson King. ..

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #797 of 4,569
Current and in most cases always top ten (EDIT progressive rock that is) but liable to change at short notice:-

King Crimson-Larks Tongues in Aspic
King Crimson-Court of the Crimson King
Hatfield and the North-Hatfield and the North
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
Van der Graf Generator-Still Life (tied as always with Godbluff obviously !)
Van der Graf Generator- H to He who am the only One
Gentle Giant-In a Glass House
Gentle Giant-Power and the Glory
Caravan- Land of Grey and Pink
Rush-Fairwell to Kings

What surely cannot be argued though is that Dark Side of the Moon is the absolute greatest album of all time EVER.

Been listening to it for 43 years at (aged 7!) at least twice a week and have never tired of it. Perfection

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #798 of 4,569
Sorry for best all time album I would argue either 'Court of the Crimson King' or 'Selling England By the Pound' if you put a gun to my head.

If you love Pink Floyd you must give a listen to another overlooked great album. Astra's 'The Black Chord' a modern more uptempo space rock ala Pink Floyd.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #799 of 4,569
Current and in most cases always top ten (EDIT progressive rock that is) but liable to change at short notice:-

King Crimson-Larks Tongues in Aspic
King Crimson-Court of the Crimson King
Hatfield and the North-Hatfield and the North
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
Van der Graf Generator-Still Life (tied as always with Godbluff obviously !)
Van der Graf Generator- H to He who am the only One
Gentle Giant-In a Glass House
Gentle Giant-Power and the Glory
Caravan- Land of Grey and Pink
Rush-Fairwell to Kings

What surely cannot be argued though is that Dark Side of the Moon is the absolute greatest album of all time EVER.

Been listening to it for 43 years at (aged 7!) at least twice a week and have never tired of it. Perfection

Have you heard the kinda obscure,kinda hard to find "Final Cut in the Wall"?
Pretty damn epic!

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #800 of 4,569
Sorry for best all time album I would argue either 'Court of the Crimson King' or 'Selling England By the Pound' if you put a gun to my head.

If you love Pink Floyd you must give a listen to another overlooked great album. Astra's 'The Black Chord' a modern more uptempo space rock ala Pink Floyd.

Yes and yes... both Selling England (absolutely love Cinema Show) and The Black Chord are phenomenal albums.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #801 of 4,569
Yes and yes... both Selling England (absolutely love Cinema Show) and The Black Chord are phenomenal albums.

I too love "Cinema Show". Have you ever heard the live version off 'Seconds Out'? It is phenomenal. Peter Gabriel had left the band and Phil was fronting BUT the tour drummer for the 1975 shows was none other than Bill Bruford just after he left Yes and before he joined King Crimson. Bruford's percussion on that song always sends chills down my spine.

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #802 of 4,569
Yeah
Hey all…

I have heard it said that this is the greatest album… Ever. After listening to this a couple of times, I'm tempted to agree. For those of you who listen to headphones for bass response, this may be the best album I've heard since Gordian Knot. Seriously, the bass parts on this album are truly sub-bass. This album is almost like Alan Parsons recruited old members of Styx, Yes, Uriah Heep, Dream Theater, and just about any other product band you can name, to make the most epic recording possible.

I cannot believe I never listened to this until two days ago. One disadvantage to being an 'Merican is we tend to miss out on the really cool stuff happening in Europe, except for what we share with one another on threads like this. But man, this is more fun than should be legal. Did I build that up enough?

Ayreon- Into the Electric Castle

Yeah thats a stupid good album, most of what Ayreon makes is stupid good :)

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #807 of 4,569
Sad news :frowning2:

King Crimson star Greg Lake dies aged 69

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

Now this is very sad news. With John Wetton, the greatest voices in progressive music history.

Kinda choking up right now. tough year for musicians...

But Greg Lake impacts me more than all the others combined. Not a judgment, but a feeling. :frowning2:

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #808 of 4,569
Sad news
frown.gif

King Crimson star Greg Lake dies aged 69

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

Can 2016 just end already?!?

RIP Greg Lake

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #809 of 4,569
It's a shame. Only the P of ELP remains but the amazing music lives on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back