Prog.Rock/Metal headphones; cans for multi-layered music
Nov 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #31 of 62
PL- I think trying the SR225i's with the stock L-cusions (bowls) and the S-cusions (comfies) is a great way to start.  K240S is identical to the K240 Mk II, in spite of any spec differences from AKG. 

One thing I've learned here is that one person's "sparkle" and "detail" is another person's "too bright", "shrill", and "fatiguing".

You need to get a pair or two and then describe what you like/dislike about them.  Once the community here has that frame of reference, then all of us can provide much more meaningful suggestions on where to go next.  But you are definitely on the right path !! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #32 of 62
Kevin Brown, just wondering but how does the Shure SRH440 compare with the DF?

I am eying it more and more but I need to be sure it is as balanced as the DF in presentation yet less mid centric so the lower tones get the right impact. As I am writing this I am listening to Kate Bush's track "The Dreaming" with the Sony MDR CD900 ST connected to the CD751 and it sounds either mid centric or Kate Bush was not into giving didgeridoo's their weighty sound.

Headphones...

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #33 of 62

Quote:
Kevin Brown, just wondering but how does the Shure SRH440 compare with the DF?

They are close, but I think the Shure's are a little bright vs the DF's.  IOW, both lack bass IMO.  But whereas the DF's mids balance nicely with the highs, IMO, the 440's have an upward tilt whereby the highs come across a little too strong vs the mids.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #36 of 62

Quote:
I bought the SR225 which was on 'marktplaats', they had 10 hours playtime, and I'm certain not to pay import taxes plus they have extra 's-cushings'. Will have them here this week
smily_headphones1.gif

How are you liking the SR225 with prog rock?  I'm also a prog rock lover and own the SR225s . But I absolutely love using my AKG K701's with layered stuff; Listening to Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" was trance-inducing through them. I prefer the SR225s to listen to Dream Theater or the latest Transatlantic "Whirld Tour 2010" live CD.

cheers!

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #37 of 62
I honestly love my senn's for prog. rock and multilayer music, something about the way they treat the sound. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #38 of 62

Quote:
I honestly love my senn's for prog. rock and multilayer music, something about the way they treat the sound. 

Senn's are good for prog rock too. I remember listening to Richard Wright's "Broken China" through my HD600 and just getting lost in the music.

But for some reason I still go back to my 701's for that kind of stuff. Listening to The Flower Kings '  "Space Revolver" through them is enthralling.

cheers!

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #39 of 62

Quote:
What version of the beyers do you have
you can try the 600 ohm version

I have the 80 ohms of DT770
I read the 600 ohms of the DT880 are fantastic, but those are simply too expensive at this time, unless someone know how to get them for 150 euro's or not very more then that
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #40 of 62
Equalizer, I probably get the 225's tomorrow, can't wait!

Whitecrow, you mean the Senns HD448 you have in your inventory? You prefer those with prog over those SR80's you have?

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #41 of 62

Quote:
Quote:
What version of the beyers do you have
you can try the 600 ohm version

I have the 80 ohms of DT770
I read the 600 ohms of the DT880 are fantastic, but those are simply too expensive at this time, unless someone know how to get them for 150 euro's or not very more then that
biggrin.gif

yeah I guess they are, they're around $250 in the US, also I'm assuming you meant DT770 lol

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #43 of 62

Quote:
I know they are out of your budget but imo the T1's are just sick for prog. DT and Ayreon never got to me the way they do when I listen to them on the T1's.

Hell yeah I can believe that. Those are way too expensive for me at this moment. Those 601's of yours, do you still use them for some music?

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #44 of 62
Ok here we go, I've got the Grado SR225's, for now with the bowls. (s-cush ordered but will come later)

I will not make a new topic review of it, since there are so many, not going to contribute very much.
I'll just post my experiences here.

First of all, about the looks; these are truly the most beautiful cans I've ever seen. There's just something about it.
I was pleasently surprised by the thick cord. Un unpleasent surprise to me, was that it just comes with a big plug. What's this? I mean, with every phones you get a possibility for normal and mini jack plugs and with Grado, they chose for you, if you want differently you have to buy extra. I find that strange.

Comfort:
these aren't Beyers, but I don't have a big problem with the comfort either. I'm not very experienced with them yet, but after an hour or two of listening, maybe the disfomfort grows, can imagine that, but all in all, the comfort problem many Grado users report, doesn't bother me very much. As for the metal band, I don't have to stretch it. It's not very tight, maybe that's just because I have a fairly small head.

The Sound (they got 10 hours playtime before I got them, so they're NOT burned-in):
Hell yeah this is very very upfront! Completely different from the Beyerdynamic 770/80's.
I've had only a couple of hours with the SR225's, and I just don't know yet what to completely think about them. I like the way they produce distortion guitars (rock/metal), it's not just that they are very upfront, with much treble, but there's something about the dynamics these cans produce, that makes them special to me (maybe more cans do that, but it really stands out in comparison with the 770's). They let you feel gitar vibrating, I think that's the closest I can put it (not very experienced in this vocabulary with headphones, sound etc.).

As for instrument separation and detail, yes I think they do better on that then the Beyers also.

But, but, but
The Grado sound is very fatiguing, more then expected (lets me turns the volume down). I think the treble is too much for me to let this become my 'every day headphone'. When I switch between 770 and 225, the Grado's are just too bright, but the 770's are just 'too far away' soundwise, very relaxed, but they seem muff after hearing the Grado. When I switch back to the Grado, the sound is nicely upfront, but just too bright, a little but too harsch (not much).

Maybe because of that, my biggest 'but' is that I can't turn up the volume with the Grado. I'm not someone who always want to hear at high volume, but sometimes with a good song, you want a couple of minuts to just rock out. I just can't do that with the 225, the experience is not nice.

So what's next? Maybe to search for the middle road between these very different cans? (The store I buy with has some DT880's and 990's (250 ohms) in advertisement for 200 euro's, that's 100 euro's cheaper then normal here) I don't know, the amount of bass the Grado gives is enough for me, but I have a feeling it must not be much less then this, otherwise it falls short on that for me, maybe that says enough about the AKG thing.

What I also don't know, is what these 225's are going to do when they break in, after 100 hours or so. What a do know, now I've got Grado's, they will not leave the house very soon. I spite of the negatives, they are fun, even if it's just for 20-30 minutes. I expercience their dynamics as really special.

Finally, I'm not searching for the perfect cans for everything, I know enough to don't expect such a thing. Everything I wrote above, is just about (prog)rock/metal. I listen more music styles then this, but since 70% of my listening is prog.rock/metal (and really all of the diversity of that genre, from Tommy the Who and Pink Floyd, to Symphony X and Tool), you could say this will be my most important headphone.

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #45 of 62
i listen to prog rock on HD650's. i wasn't looking for the same sound signature that it seems you're looking for. you seem to want something extremely detailed. i went for more of a laid back and warm sounding setup since i don't like excessive or even flat treble.

Quote:
Anybody?

Come on, fellow prog.heads, I know you're here at this great head-fi community:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back