Profit vs Community
May 29, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #61 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The truth is that you should always sell at the FAIR price!

What is a fair price?

If somebody is willing to pay $500 and another buyer is willing to pay $420 and you decide to sell it for $400 because of the "community" or because that's the price you bought it for, and the person who's only willing to pay $420 gets the nod just because he was faster, then that isn't particularly "fair" to the other buyer either. That is unless the $420-buyer is buddy of yours, or a long standing member or whatever, and you value goodwill at $80. "Fair pricing" can quickly turn into first-come-first-serve pricing and that isn't particularly fair in my eyes. It happens all the time, too. If you want to avoid that, you have to use an interest check, aka auction, to determine the winning bidder by weighing monetary value against community goodwill. But in the eyes of most HF-ers, these auctions are evil, too.

And then you also have the time value of money to consider. Surely, a $2000 R10 bought ten years ago is worth more than that today. But where do you draw the line of what time span is enough to warrant a price increase.

In general, I consider whatever buyers are willing to pay as fair. If the price wasn't fair, why would they offer me that price to begin with. Of course, that is unless I'm untruthful about the condition of the headphones or something like that. Sure, there are bubbles but who am I to tell whether something is bubble or a genuine price increase (exceptions of obvious stupidity need not apply).

But for all of the above to work, I need to know the market price and that's why I can't stand people erasing the sales price of sold items. It's their right, sure, but that doesn't make it good.

I think what people mostly complain about is when it's obvious that people commit arbitrage sales, i.e. buying things to make a quick buck. I also find that despicable in a community but what else do you expect if people want "fair prices" and if sales prices are constantly removed. It's a self-made problem.

In any case, because of that and because HF is neither an open market nor a strict community, deciding on a case-to-case basis usually works the best for me. And the case usually depends on how much I'm in need for money at the moment and how much I value goodwill at.

May 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #62 of 88
I think for me it comes down to whether I can afford to help the community. If we are talking about $20 difference, that is one thing, $1k is another. For example, I traded my 325is that I got from the forum for headphones that go for less money on ebay because I wanted to give another forum member a chance at some nice Grados that I wasn't using. I probably could have sold them on ebay for $240 or so and bought the other headphones for $225. So it really is only $15-25 that I lost on the deal. If it had been that I bought GS1000s for $400 on the board, I am not sure I could return the favor if I got sick of them.

May 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #63 of 88
The problem is...market price isn't necessarily the real market price.

Let's take the HP-1000's again as an example. Yes the cases of limited phones is unique but their market value is not. They were consistantly selling for 750 or so for ages. A fine mint pair might hit 900 but usually top out in the $800s. That is until a certain MS employee was able to get a pair reworked by Joseph Grado himself. That bad boy went for $1400 and all of a sudden the craze was on. If a mint one could go for $1400, sold to a rich guy at MS, then certainly one close to mint should be at least a grand right? Well immediately the price skyrocketted based solely on the one time sale by an enthusiastic and wealthy head-fier. Hiding prices means that the overall market value should stay sane and not jump to one time ludicrous sale prices. I don't really care one way or another about the hiding of prices but I will say that hiding the prices usually benefits the buyer not the seller, unless a unit has been completely outmatched by its newer sibling (a la the amp releases...with a new version every 6 months or so by some manufacturers).

In the latter case, if one hides the price they might get closer to 50-75% of what they paid vs. say...30% when their unit is 4 versions old (despite it being only 2 years old).

Overall though, our little microcosm isn't a very good indicator of "market." The microcosmic effect distorts reality quite a bit and eventually the bottom will fall out just like in the world of comics and sports card collecting. At the height of the mayhem in the early 90's, issues and select cards were reaching insane heights. The problem? People were upping the price intracommunity, no one was really buying outside of those collecting so in fact, the value was completely artificially inflated as the expected broader audience simply didn't exist. What was happening was that "newbie" collectors were coming in near the end right before the bubble burst and buying up the stuff that was mass produced, inflating those prices (even though they really held no value) and lauching the limited titles into the stratosphere). Only those issues and cards that truly were rare held their value and they themselves were mostly gutted by 50-65% in value.

The same will happen with HP-1000's, L3000's and perhaps to some extent R10's. These headphones, all of which are limited (the HP-1000's being the most limited) are mechanical devices that will eventually give out, requiring repair with the likelihood of replacement parts decreasing with each year. That means people are "investing" in gear that might never work again after a certain period of time...or worse, will work but modified with different parts, changing their sound forever. Try selling a Larry modded headphone outside of Head-fi and see what I mean. Modified units are usually devastated in value on the used market.

Now then, if folks have cash and love the sound, more power to them. It's just too bad that the items in question might break down permanently in the future. Outside of that, at least audio gear has utility vs. something like diamonds, sports cards etc.

What does this all come down to? Reasonable inflation, reasonably valuation and reasonable people pricing units. With the influx of newbies on the site, it might be enticing to get a hold of those rare headphoes everyone claims are legendary, but once they drop 2.5k on something that can't be readily repaired and aren't nearly as good as some phones costing the same or less (not to mention speakers in that range!) and one might feel bitter. A fool and his money and all that sure....but a "market" run amok isn't fun for anyone but hte seller who walked away with a great profit.

For those items that are currently in production, the story is much different of course, why anyone would spend more for something currently in production than the new price is beyond me. In that case, go for it, a fool is a fool
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #64 of 88
I feel like if I get something for free or for a friendly price from another Headfier, as in someone is doing me a favor, then I should pass it along with similar conditions.

However, if I give someone something for free or a friendly price, I don't have any problem with them selling it at full market value. They are free to do with it as they see fit.

May 29, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #65 of 88
Interesting topic.
I personally would probably sell it for slightly lower than "market value".

May 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #66 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is...market price isn't necessarily the real market price.

That is certainly true but to prevent newbies from inflating prices, they need some kind of reference. I also agree that having moderate inflation and sane valuation increase would be nice. It'd be nice if all members had both the knowledge and willingness to sell at what you could consider fundamental market prices plus slight adjustments for inflation and increasing demand, but again, that's hard to do if you don't know what price to take as a reference. And one other thing is that it's difficult for people properly to adjust for increasing demand at constant supply just by gut feeling. When I sold my HE90, I received lots of inquiries from first-time posters or new users. I certainly couldn't judge the market size just by gut feeling then, and simply increased my asking price accordingly. My selling price then, 8k, now would seem to me as a reasonable price in retrospective, but back then it might have seemed "unfair" by community standards seeing how I bought them for around $1000 less. I don't think that was an inflationary move either.

Coming back to, say, inflated prices for a pair of HP1. If somebody just really happens to be willing to pay a lot of money for reasons whatsoever, then I find it "unfair" if it is sold at a lower price to somebody who was willing to pay less, assuming the seller would otherwise be indifferent towards either buyer. However, it is true that if that sales price were to be made public and if this public making were to increase prices for future buyers (as in the case of the HP1), then that certainly wouldn't be in the interest of the community, but I wouldn't call it unfair in this case. Either way, it's not ideal.

May 30, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #69 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to develop more of a market let everyone post in the threads - posting comparisons etc.

We DO NOT want to develop more of a market. This is one reason for the rules. We like how it is. We have feedback for the users involved, we have forums to post impressions. The FS forums should remain as simple as possible:

FS or WTB, WTT. That's it. No discussing, just a pm sent and SOLD!

May 30, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #71 of 88
it depends on my financial situation. If I am broke I will sell for market value (has been the case so far) but once I have a steady income I would have no problem selling below market value or even a give away.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #73 of 88
What if the price at which you bought something is now HIGHER than the current market price? Like it or not, you will be selling it at the market price, and not the price at which you bought it.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #74 of 88
It truly depends on the circumstances for me, if I was in urgent need of money, I would probably sell at market value.

However if I didn't really need the money I might pass on part of the deal to another: ex for the triple.fi example above, maybe sell it for 125 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back