Profit vs Community
Jun 9, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #76 of 88
Depends on the product, wait time, market value. Supply and Demand has got to be factored in IMO. IE: say you purchase an AMP from company X and the build/wait time required a great deal of patience invested in receiving the amp...this would translate to a bit more. It's the age old rule-->if a product from company X is hard to come by, why would one devalue it by selling it on the cheap? The cheap price could shout out the fact that you were really not satisfied, correct? If you've got gold you sell it for what gold is worth ...yada yada....yawn.

taptaptap...wake up and pay attention.....

dry eyes are unhappy eyes.....

RS-1s are rocking my world right now!!

Perspective:I'm part of the "I've ordered a Headamp GS-1 and still have not received it thanks to Picomania" Club.....and if I EVER sell it(NOT)...I won't be discounting it.

It's all good though ----*peace*

*RS1 Smile*

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #77 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you bought them from a fellow head-fi'er you should ask him ( He will be the one upset ). I would recommend selling at market value and splitting the difference or doing something else with the profits or offer it to somebody who you think would use it.

A very cheap product on the FS boards is no good for the others trying to sell there gear.

If you got a bargain on e-bay or in a sale somewhere then sell it for market value, It was your luck to spot the bargain.

I agree 100% with this. I didn't vote because it all depends on the given circumstances. I'd go with what "omegaman" said above. I think its the best way to go about it. Personally, I wouldn't even try to screw anyone on this forum. Too many nice/kind people here.
I believe in Karma, be evil and you're gonna get what's coming to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

What goes around, comes around.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another solution to all this is just not to sell.
biggrin.gif

Yup. Agreed.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #78 of 88
Oops, I voted incorrectly because I thought the poll was asking something else. I don't think I've ever not passed a decent price on to the next buyer. It would feel wrong to profit on the kindness someone else showed to me.

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #80 of 88
Where's the option for "Whatever price you want"?

If I have a prior, positive relationship with a buyer then I'll most likely do them a deal. Any other scenario and it's maximum profit all the way. I don't see this as evil, immoral or anti-community, that's just how it is...

I'm obviously in the minority, but I do give stuff away if I can't sell it...

Hopefully that counts for something...

redface.gif

EK

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #81 of 88
I always sell everything a little below market value, regardless of whether get back what I spent, gain or lose some money. I don't like waiting long.
smily_headphones1.gif
In the case where I got something for super cheap and ended up not liking it, I'd still sell it a little below market value; it's a cruel world, if I don't, the next person will.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #82 of 88
Ok. I really didn't want to talk about this but here it goes.

I've recently sold a pair of headphones to another Head-fier. I really like this forum and I wanted to contribute in any ways, so I sold it to him at a pretty low price, way below the market price. A few weeks after I see the same headphone with a jacked up the price! At first, I tried to ignore it because it's not mine anymore and I have nothing to do with it but the more I look at it the more I think it's wrong.

I though I was trying to help people out and here he is selling it at a higher price which means somebody's getting ripped off. Yes, he got it at good price but the least he could do was sell it at the same price he got it. It boggles my mind that some people are just taking advantage of this site and are trying to make money out of it rather than helping out.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #83 of 88
If I got something on a sweet discount and wanted to sell it later, I would probably sell it a little below market value. I don't know what I would do though if someone was being nice and discounted it for me. I'm just thinking of if I found a nice deal at a store.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #84 of 88
I don't buy gear with intent to resell. However, I've got a lot of gear, and if I don't use something, that's probably an indication that I should sell it. I've also been fortunate, in that many of my audio purchases have increased in value over time.

If I'm selling something, I determine fair market value and sell it. What I paid originally has nothing to do with anything. Also, my idea of fair market value emphasizes "fair". I don't normally aim for top dollar. There are some people who will get some very low prices from me, but those are usually my friends, and those deals rarely appear in the FS forums.

I used to consider what I paid as part of the equation, until I sold a rare headphone to someone at the price I paid, and saw it sold for a nice profit a couple of months later. Fair enough. The headphone was his, and he could sell for any amount he chose. This wasn't ripping anyone off (and even with the profit, that headphone now sells for hundreds more).

However, even my dim little brain finally figured out that if someone is going to profit off of selling my gear, it should probably be me. I'm the one taking the losses when I sell gear that has declined in value, after all.

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #85 of 88
I typically sell at well lower than what would be considered fair price here on Head-Fi. I've seen some buyers resell equipment almost immediately for more than my initial price. It has never bothered me before, and won't in the future. What the buyer does with it is his/her business, and as long as the item is not being misrepresented, they can do as they wish.

Conversely, I have a personal policy of never selling at or more than the price I paid. That's a personal code I follow and does not have to apply to anyone who doesn't wish to adopt it.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #86 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. I really didn't want to talk about this but here it goes.

I've recently sold a pair of headphones to another Head-fier. I really like this forum and I wanted to contribute in any ways, so I sold it to him at a pretty low price, way below the market price. A few weeks after I see the same headphone with a jacked up the price! At first, I tried to ignore it because it's not mine anymore and I have nothing to do with it but the more I look at it the more I think it's wrong.

I though I was trying to help people out and here he is selling it at a higher price which means somebody's getting ripped off. Yes, he got it at good price but the least he could do was sell it at the same price he got it. It boggles my mind that some people are just taking advantage of this site and are trying to make money out of it rather than helping out.

If you told the buyer what you were doing that is pretty f%$#@&d up. But if you posted a lowball price in your FS thread, and the buyer saw an oppritunity, I have no problem with that.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #87 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you told the buyer what you were doing that is pretty f%$#@&d up. But if you posted a lowball price in your FS thread, and the buyer saw an oppritunity, I have no problem with that.

Yes, maybe I was stupid to sell it too low, maybe I was stupid to have intention to help other people. If I knew he was gonna sell it like that then I would've never sold it to him. But then again, I'd never know that. I was trying to help out the community but the other person was purely in for profit. What a perfect example.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back