Profit vs Community
May 29, 2008 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

malldian

Headphoneus Supremus
So imagine a situation like this. Much like the "punch me in the facer" threads but different. A person on head-fi gives you a good deal on a piece of equipment after pm'ing for a while. Maybe at 30% what you could get them for as a resale here or on eBay. You get them and at some point stop liking them. You can either a) pass them on to another member at the same price considering that they could then sell them for three times what they bought them for or b) sell them for market value. What do you do? Does your decision change as the amount of profit changes?

May 29, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 88
My lawyer has instructed me not to comment.

(Seriously, that's a good question. I'm just glad I've never had it come up)

May 29, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 88
^ up to you, really. If I bought a pair of headphones at clearance price (lets say you bought a TF10pros @ 84$ due to false price listing from a store website) and sold them at higher price (maybe I didn't like the sound signature) I think it would be fine.

If you want to be extra nice, you could state that you got them for 84$ and just add shipping cost to it

May 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 88
If there was a way to assure they wouldn't just be resold for more anyway I think it would be an easier question. Any game theorists out there?

May 29, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 88
I think another question is: If you were the original owner, would you call me out if I priced it at market value?

May 29, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 88
At that point, it boils down to morality or conscience.....really, it's up to you, as business is business.

May 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there was a way to assure they wouldn't just be resold for more anyway I think it would be an easier question. Any game theorists out there?

you mean

1) you buy something at 20$ when it should be 100$
2) you decide to sell it at 20$ to give someone else a deal
3) they decide to sell it at market price (100$) <--- you don't want this to happen.

is this it?

May 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that point, it boils down to morality or conscience.....really, it's up to you, as business is business.

Yeah I am wondering what the consensus is here. That and at what profit people change their minds.

May 29, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean

1) you buy something at 20$ when it should be 100$
2) you decide to sell it at 20$ to give someone else a deal
3) they decide to sell it at market price (100$) <--- you don't want this to happen.

is this it?

Thats one option, they might pass it on for cheap as well. Or you choose to sell at 100 and take the profit.

May 29, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 88
Quote:

And would that be considered thread crapping?

There's other methods of communication. (i.e PM)

Me personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd only step-in if the seller misrepresents the item in some way. (say, in order to alter the value)

May 29, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 88
or you could just sell the item at market value or slightly lower - to prevent all this
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or you could just sell the item at market value or slightly lower - to prevent all this
biggrin.gif

Thats the point of the poll
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back