Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #211 of 381
So you mean that the way it clamps is like it is, and you cannot "stretch" it so lessen the effect and it won't get slacker over time, it's always gonna clamp that much? I'd just like to know even if I can still wear them several hours, just that I wouldn't qualify them as confortable "set and forget" as the T90/Amiron.

How can you identify which pad you have cause I bought a "open box" from Amazon so who knows what came on them by default, and behind the pad that's in the box there isn't any writing and looking from the surface I can't see a damn difference to the point I was almost thinking this whole "pad change the sound significantly" was gimmick or placebo. To remove the pads you just pull hard on them, there's no risk of tearing?

On the pads. Look on the back side, the analytical have 4 holes and the balanced pads have many more. Also the information booklet tells you.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #212 of 381
Balanced on the left. Analytical on the right.

9164708.jpg

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #213 of 381
So you mean that the way it clamps is like it is, and you cannot "stretch" it so lessen the effect and it won't get slacker over time, it's always gonna clamp that much?

No, that's not what I meant. You said "They do seem to have an improved bass extension as said by a few people, however is it caused by the higher clamping force cause usually the tighter it is, the more you feel the bass." I don't agree that the heavier clamping force is responsible for the 1990's bass response.

I do find the clamping force a bit heavy. I assume they will loosen some over time, but I don't know for sure. I did stretch mine a bit to loosen them. OTOH, I found the Amiron clamp disturbingly light.

How can you identify which pad you have cause I bought a "open box" from Amazon so who knows what came on them by default, and behind the pad that's in the box there isn't any writing and looking from the surface I can't see a damn difference to the point I was almost thinking this whole "pad change the sound significantly" was gimmick or placebo. To remove the pads you just pull hard on them, there's no risk of tearing?

I can assure you, the pad change is no gimmick. It functionally gives you two quite different tonal balances to choose from. As KMan mentioned, the Analytical pads have four holes around the inner perimeter, the Balanced pads have many. I highly suggest you review the directions in the manual before attempting a pad change. I've got the hang of it now, but I found it frustrating the first couple of times.

To remove the pads you just pull hard on them, there's no risk of tearing?
Yes, just pull them off as per the manual.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #214 of 381
Hi guys,

I've finally received my DT1990 Pro saturday by Amazon, much faster than I expected and they did confirm me I had a 30 days satisfaction guaranteed. I haven't tested them for 8H yet but so far here's what I can say compare to my T90 which has been replaced by the not so good looking Amiron.

- The DT1990 Pro has much more clamping, as the T90 is way slacker and I don't think that it's because I've had it for several years. They said the Amiron was more "relaxed" and for home usage so that make sense. The higher clamping force doesn't cause a discomfort so far and if you like to dance, jog, do cardio stuff inside or trash while listening to metal, you'll definitely prefer the DT1990 has they stay much better in place!

- They do seem to have an improved bass extension as said by a few people, however is it caused by the higher clamping force cause usually the tigher it is, the more you feel the bass.

- They look incredible, best looking headphone I ever seen, weight is very similar but prolly a bit heavier as there's more use of metal. The finition and sturdiness is of higher quality imo.

Overall it's a worthy replacement of a T90 for someone that doesn't already have those has the difference isn't that large since they both have the same MSRP when they came out, so now it's almost like changing 4x25¢ for 1$ so I'm gonna try this week to find a place in Montreal "Quebec" to see if I can demo a pair of (Audeze LCD3) as very few places seems to have this brand, and if they do it's only up to the LCD2, and nobody got the 4000$USD LCD4. I'm willing to say it doesn't get any better than the DT1990 for 700-800$CAD but I want to see if those 2600$ LCD3 really sounds far better to be sold for 3x more or if that "Planar Magnetic" is just an excuse to raise the cost.
I'm also in Montreal QC, if you're in the downtown area. i would suggest Moog Audio (get off at Mount Royal metro) or Layton Audio (st.cath) or Audioville (on st.Denis).

I find the service at Layton audio ok, but nothing special. they have a normal selection but they seem to be a bit over priced compared to the others and much slower to update stock of newer things.

Moog Audio has a huge selection of all kinds of audio gear, and gets newer things more often, however some of the good stuff they might not carry and might need to be "special ordered".

Audioville is ok, but they can be a bit snooty. sometimes i get the impression they think i can't afford anything in the store and kind of want me to leave... which is ridiculous because im in the market for a pair of 1000$ - 1500$ headphones lol.

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #215 of 381
I'm also in Montreal QC, if you're in the downtown area. i would suggest Moog Audio (get off at Mount Royal metro) or Layton Audio (st.cath) or Audioville (on st.Denis).

I find the service at Layton audio ok, but nothing special. they have a normal selection but they seem to be a bit over priced compared to the others and much slower to update stock of newer things.

Moog Audio has a huge selection of all kinds of audio gear, and gets newer things more often, however some of the good stuff they might not carry and might need to be "special ordered".

Audioville is ok, but they can be a bit snooty. sometimes i get the impression they think i can't afford anything in the store and kind of want me to leave... which is ridiculous because im in the market for a pair of 1000$ - 1500$ headphones lol.
Thanks a lot for your personal input. Looking from their website, the products in stock etc I did get exactly the same impression that you've described. Man if we are cheap people cause we buy 1000-1500$ headphone then I wonder what they think of >90% of the population that buy garbage <200$ headphones lol. I will need to go at Audioville as it is the main Audeze reseller in Quebec and Layton only had the LCD2, otherwise it was special orders which sucks as it's long and the 30 days satisfaction policy don't always apply as you usually do have 30 days but the special orders are often non-refundable deposit and I wouldn't want to get a huge store credit, as in sleeping money that I'd be forced to spend there.

Edit: So Audioville told me they had the LCD2, LCD-X Pro, LCD3 and that the biggest seller was the X non-Pro as it's the same driver but with less packaging and cheaper headband so it drives a lot the cost down, and they don't stock the LCD4 cause well... nobody got ~5300$ to spend on a pair of headphone ^^ I'll go hear that tomorrow!

I'll also be returning to Amazon my DT1990Pro as they really do clamp a bit too much on the head and while I find my T90 too slack, at least I can wear them for many many hours without noticing them on my head while I clearly feel the DT slowly crushing on my head. The earpads are tolerable but at the center of the headband I can quickly feel a bit of annoying pressure which I never had before. Anyway the sound quality is way too close to the T90 so it would be wasted money to make such a tiny upgrade. The biggest difference must be coming from the detachable cable, much better look and higher build quality only.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #216 of 381
Just found this thread. Excellent review of both the over-ears on my shortlist. I was going get the DT 1990 Pro, but I like a more laid back presentation for night-time listening, so it'll be the Amiron Home.

[Edit] For anyone with the Amiron Home headphones, are they practical and comfortable enough to listen to whilst lying in bed?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #219 of 381
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #220 of 381
Thanks for the reply! I just need to find these in the UK now. The DT 1990 Pros are easy to buy, but for some reason the Amiron Homes don't seem to be directly available from a UK retailer.

That FAFMusic seller is newly launched, is adding £20 shipping and needs a couple of weeks to deliver. He has no feedback and only one Amiron. When I bought mine from Amazon UK it was Amazon prime.

The Amazon Prime one is more expensive now. I paid £404 at the time.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #221 of 381
That FAFMusic seller is newly launched, is adding £20 shipping and needs a couple of weeks to deliver. He has no feedback and only one Amiron. When I bought mine from Amazon UK it was Amazon prime.
Oh I see..just thought I would help but it's not always a good idea to buy from someone with no feedback. Until recently the Amiron Home was on Amazon Prime. I'm always watching these websites like a hawk lol, sometimes the prices of these headphones go down. Who doesn't want to save money huh?!

EDIT: I've just noticed that Home AV Direct are selling them fulfilled by Amazon. If you click on the "10 new" link on the product page you'll see. The only thing is they want £477 for them.

Hope I could help.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #222 of 381

The Amazon Prime one is more expensive now. I paid £404 at the time.

Yes, I was wary of that Marketplace seller and I don't think the item is located in the UK. I'd prefer a 'fulfilled by Amazon' item.

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #223 of 381
Yes, I was wary of that Marketplace seller and I don't think the item is located in the UK. I'd prefer a 'fulfilled by Amazon' item.

That one is from Portugal

..and yes there are other options in the listing including Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #224 of 381
Dec 8, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #225 of 381
Hey kman, need some help man. T1 gen2 is available for 545 usd brand new in India. I already own a Amiron Home and love it, courtsey of ur amiron-dt 1990 review and a friend from my own country who recommended it to me personally. Now i've learnt earlier that the t1 gen2 is more clinical and is not as musical as the amiron which im not going to replace it on circumstances. However i wanted to own a t1 gen2 for gaming stuff due to its large p3d soundstage(only heard from ppl, never listened to it). Should i own it alongside the amiron ?? Can we get another good comparison from u t1 gen2 vs Amiron ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back