Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #182 of 381
I get ear fatigue really easy, usually from really forward mids or high/harsh treble headphones.

I do too but no listener's fatigue with the Amiron for me.

Also comfort is a number one priority for me, I would like a headphone I can wear for hours with no issues. I can’t use my Hifiman HE-400s or Hifiman HE-500 for more than an hour without a headache.

I can't use the Hifiman 400i at all. Too much clamp. No comfort problems with the Amiron.

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #189 of 381
Hello.

I have been doing some research for a few days now and my choices are down to the DT1990, Amiron Home, and Hifiman Sundara. I will be driving them with my Audio GD R2R 11 amp/dac.

Any recommendations on which might pair best with the R2R 11? Looking for something to use for multimedia purposes (TV/Movies/podcast listening) as well as first person immersive gaming. Music tastes are usually movie/gaming soundtracks, soft rock, and indie.

I get ear fatigue really easy, usually from really forward mids or high/harsh treble headphones. Used to own some DT990s, but sold them because of the fatigue issues. Also, the mids from my current Sennheiser HD6XX seem to be giving me ear fatigue when using with the R2R 11, only owned for a few weeks now, so I’ll probably be selling them soon as well.

Also comfort is a number one priority for me, I would like a headphone I can wear for hours with no issues. I can’t use my Hifiman HE-400s or Hifiman HE-500 for more than an hour without a headache.

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks.
I will say right now, first off, never game in planars. its a terrible experience, ive never enjoyed using planars for gaming. you definitely want a dynamic driver instead.
I prefer the sound of the DT1990 Pros over the Amiron, i've never owned a pair of Amiron so i can't speak for its build quality or longevity however based on what my impressions have been from the 3 times i've tried them im cemented in the admiration for the DT1990 pros. I would say take more time trying the headphones either at a store or a meet. if i can, borrow them from someone and use them on your actual home setup because what you hear at the store isnt what you have at home (unless the store has exactly what you have setup wise lol.)

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #190 of 381
I will say right now, first off, never game in planars. its a terrible experience, ive never enjoyed using planars for gaming. you definitely want a dynamic driver instead.
I prefer the sound of the DT1990 Pros over the Amiron, i've never owned a pair of Amiron so i can't speak for its build quality or longevity however based on what my impressions have been from the 3 times i've tried them im cemented in the admiration for the DT1990 pros. I would say take more time trying the headphones either at a store or a meet. if i can, borrow them from someone and use them on your actual home setup because what you hear at the store isnt what you have at home (unless the store has exactly what you have setup wise lol.)

I purchased the Amiron Homes and they arrived yesterday. Out of the box the comfort isn’t great for me. I may have a different/weird shaped head that doesn’t like Beyerdynamic headphones haha. There is a good amount of clamp force around my ears and jaw, causing almost a headache. I have extended the headband further up by one notch and now the clamp force has diminished, but the earpads now rest on the top of my ear, so still no solution. After putting my HD6XX over a yoga block for a week they are 2x more comfortable and I can wear for hours. I don’t know if I should do this with the Amirons. I also have a ZMF pilot pad I may try tonight on the Amirons. If anyone knows of any comfort solutions please let me know.

Sound quality is good, but not great on my Audio GD R2R 11 out of the box. Not $400 more than my HD6XX. I plan to burn in for 50 hours before testing again. I also may need to upgrade to a more neutral amp. I had a recommendation for the Audio GD C-2, but definitely a large form factor and I don’t think I have the desk space. Any recommendations on a good neutral amp with large soundstage to pair with the Audio GD R2R 11 dac and Amirons would be awesome. Looking for a smaller form factor and the budget will probably be $600 or less.

If I can’t find a solution for the comfort issues, I plan to just ship back to Amazon for a refund. Then the headphone search starts over again haha.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #191 of 381
I purchased the Amiron Homes and they arrived yesterday. Out of the box the comfort isn’t great for me. I may have a different/weird shaped head that doesn’t like Beyerdynamic headphones haha. There is a good amount of clamp force around my ears and jaw, causing almost a headache. I have extended the headband further up by one notch and now the clamp force has diminished, but the earpads now rest on the top of my ear, so still no solution. After putting my HD6XX over a yoga block for a week they are 2x more comfortable and I can wear for hours. I don’t know if I should do this with the Amirons. I also have a ZMF pilot pad I may try tonight on the Amirons. If anyone knows of any comfort solutions please let me know.

Sound quality is good, but not great on my Audio GD R2R 11 out of the box. Not $400 more than my HD6XX. I plan to burn in for 50 hours before testing again. I also may need to upgrade to a more neutral amp. I had a recommendation for the Audio GD C-2, but definitely a large form factor and I don’t think I have the desk space. Any recommendations on a good neutral amp with large soundstage to pair with the Audio GD R2R 11 dac and Amirons would be awesome. Looking for a smaller form factor and the budget will probably be $600 or less.

If I can’t find a solution for the comfort issues, I plan to just ship back to Amazon for a refund. Then the headphone search starts over again haha.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
my amp for the DT1990 pros is the vioelectric one i have mentioned in my signature. its great for my applications and i love the clarity and sound it has. it sounds neutral and clean to me, but maybe 5% "cooler" than absolute neutral. i think its because its solid state and not tube. but then again you may get a cooler cleaner sound with solid state in general.
I've had similar beyer fitment issues out of the box with my 1990 pros. but its very weird how the 1990s are. at first the clam is noticible, but not strong. after 15min the clam is absolutely gone. its as if the ear pads (im using the A pads not B pads) somehow mold and fit perfectly. i wear glasses so the earpads will also never seal properly but they try their best. i wasnt too keen on the amiron fitment on my head. i didnt like the yolks compared to the 1990s. also the pads seemed a bit firmer than the 1990s. i would say swap em out. maybe try a hybrid pad or perferated leather.

as for your amp request, you could always try the Fostex HPA4 amp, its definitely under 600$ and its japanese and its good sounding imo. not as good as my violectric, but good enough for me to use it with less power hungry headphones for sure.

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #192 of 381
Clearly headphone preference is a very personal thing. I had the Amiron for two weeks. The sound changed a great deal during that time but even after burn-in, the lower midrange remained too warm for my liking. The DT 1990 Pro is perfect for me, but only with the Analytical pads.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #193 of 381
Just stepping sideways into this conversation,
I think that the Amiron Home is a "good and direct"
upgrade from the HiFiMan 400i.
The Amiron's sound is more natural and detailed.
It's fuller, and more complete.
Also, the Amirons appear to have much better build
quality, and they're far more comfortable as well.

i also came from 400i, what you think about the dt1990 over amiron ?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #194 of 381
i also came from 400i, what you think about the dt1990 over amiron ?

Well, it's been about a month since I sent back the 1990's and the Amirons.
I did listen to them quite intently for the month or so I had them; I really wanted
open headphones in or around that price to fill what I felt was a gap in my collection.

And in looking around, it appears that they don't have much competition at their price.
Some, but not much with respect to SQ, comfort, and build quality altogether.

I recall very clearly that I liked the 1990's more than the Amirons.
They were more lively and dynamic; the Amirons were just too laid back for me.
I also sensed they had some rolling off at the top, which made them sound
even mellower. Like they were half asleep, somehow.

Both headphones were super comfortable and very well made.

Regarding both, I felt I could and should be able to find something I liked more
for around the same price, maybe slightly more.

I didn't like either nearly as much as my Grado PS500e's (or Grado RS1i's - although
those were at a different price point so not a fair comparison).

The Audioquest's looked interesting, especially after the big price drop. But now their
availability and pricing are all over the place. But maybe I'll chase some down.
The Senn HD700 also seem worth a go. Consistently excellent reviews, and they've
been out a good while.

But what with the immense assortment of headphones coming into the market
over the past couple of years, I think that these Beyers will, in fact, soon be
facing some legitimate competition from companies like AKG, Shure, and others -
(perhaps Yamaha, B&W, Senn if they replace the 700's - but of course
is mostly speculation at this point). Although it does seem like the market is calling
for some terrific open headphones in the 5 to 700 range.

Cheers,

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #195 of 381
i already won the amiron (came from 400i) ,
i must say its have good mids and amazing male vocal ..but overall its little boring me, I feel like the song is behind me and it is far away from me and not aimed at me. Does anyone understand me?

I miss the emphasis of drums, guitars,resolution, Image...
i think mayby dt1990? or need continue with planar? :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back