Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #376 of 381
Thank you everybody. I'll wait for @kman1211 measurements of Amiron's ear pads and take a decision.

Edit: how would you rate sound stage on the two?

The Amiron Home pads seem about half a cm wider in diameter than the DT 1990 and T1.2 pads(same in dimensions and look as the DT 1990 pads but different fabric and foam) and they slope in a bit differently. It’s not much wider just a little. I attribute the fit difference more to the material and how they slope in.

6C8B0875-3E22-4ACF-986B-65749605B495.jpeg
EADC1039-EFD1-4BEF-A9FF-6CF70AB42EDF.jpeg
47213219-0EB4-4A97-8B1A-D874DA54624A.jpeg

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #377 of 381
Ah makes sense, honestly I've never liked the Asgard very much for the same reasons you find it inferior to the A20. Just wait until the DT 1990 comes in, it feels even nicer than the Amiron build quality wise. The DT 1990's have some really nice mids and is a punchier sound than the Amiron, Oh things get really really nice at the very high-end but you really need to know what gear to get, what's popular may not be what is the best choice for your own tastes. These headphones both sound really nice on tubes as well. What are you using as a DAC?
The A20 is tailored for the DTxxx series and I agree that is one of the best amp for DT880. A2 is totally different and far more better in every way with every Tesla I own (T1 2nd, T90, DT1770, DT1350). While A20 sounds warm and euphonic, A2 is extremely fast, faster and detailed than A20, the bass is faster, deeper and punchier. DT880 driven by A2 are a bit harsh while teslas driven by A20 sound slow, floppy and boring. Imho the A2 is the one of most underrated SS amps for dynamic headphones, except DTxxx series where the A20 shines.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #378 of 381
The A20 is tailored for the DTxxx series and I agree that is one of the best amp for DT880. A2 is totally different and far more better in every way with every Tesla I own (T1 2nd, T90, DT1770, DT1350). While A20 sounds warm and euphonic, A2 is extremely fast, faster and detailed than A20, the bass is faster, deeper and punchier. DT880 driven by A2 are a bit harsh while teslas driven by A20 sound slow, floppy and boring. Imho the A2 is the one of most underrated SS amps for dynamic headphones, except DTxxx series where the A20 shines.
Agree and have same experience. A20 with DT880 600 ohm is a very nice combo for the money. Albeit a bit dry here and there (as I remember it, had that combination for few weeks last summer).

A2 with DT1990, Amiron Home and T1.2 is another level and an endpoint for me. I have A2 set to 100ohm and +6db gain and paired with T1.2 it can handle all music in my library, from slow, intimate tunes to energetic head-bangers with absolute ease - can’t get them off my head. I’m using Amirons with DT1990 B-pads (those fit them better and are easier to put on than Amiron’s original pads) and that’s my alternative to T1.2 on anything else that can’t drive T1.2 properly. DT1990 with A-pads are on standby if I want to hear all the detail in the music.

I’m also listening to T1.2 on my second set up with MF MX-HPA in fully balanced mode and that’s even slightly better match than with A2 single-ended. Was an AKG guy a year ago and I’m now Beyerdynamic only; once I got used to T1.2 sound (it took a bit of time though) AKG just sounded too thin and cold and couldn’t listen to them anymore (K812 and Q701). Not tempted by T1.3 at all at the moment, T1.2 amount of bass is just enough for me and have no need for even darker sounding headphones.

Wanted to pass my Thank you to all contributors here on Head-Fi, your input helped me to put together two systems that I’m very happy with - my music never sounded so good!

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #379 of 381
Agree and have same experience. A20 with DT880 600 ohm is a very nice combo for the money. Albeit a bit dry here and there (as I remember it, had that combination for few weeks last summer).

A2 with DT1990, Amiron Home and T1.2 is another level and an endpoint for me. I have A2 set to 100ohm and +6db gain and paired with T1.2 it can handle all music in my library, from slow, intimate tunes to energetic head-bangers with absolute ease - can’t get them off my head. I’m using Amirons with DT1990 B-pads (those fit them better and are easier to put on than Amiron’s original pads) and that’s my alternative to T1.2 on anything else that can’t drive T1.2 properly. DT1990 with A-pads are on standby if I want to hear all the detail in the music.

I’m also listening to T1.2 on my second set up with MF MX-HPA in fully balanced mode and that’s even slightly better match than with A2 single-ended. Was an AKG guy a year ago and I’m now Beyerdynamic only; once I got used to T1.2 sound (it took a bit of time though) AKG just sounded too thin and cold and couldn’t listen to them anymore (K812 and Q701). Not tempted by T1.3 at all at the moment, T1.2 amount of bass is just enough for me and have no need for even darker sounding headphones.

Wanted to pass my Thank you to all contributors here on Head-Fi, your input helped me to put together two systems that I’m very happy with - my music never sounded so good!
I have both the T1.2 and T1.3 and if you don’t want more bass than the T1.2 I wouldn’t bother with the T1.3. The T1.3 also takes a while to get used to but not too long if you’re already used to the T1.2. The headphones have different sonic advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the T1.3 but I like darker and bassier headphones as my main headphone and have other headphones as compliments. I’m mostly a Beyer person too, sometimes I listen to others but usually not for very long.

I need to try out the Beyer amps. I wonder if an A3 or A30 are in the works due to the 3rd generation of T1/T5’s.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #380 of 381
I need to try out the Beyer amps. I wonder if an A3 or A30 are in the works due to the 3rd generation of T1/T5’s.
With T1.3 being 32ohm, I don’t think we’d see any new headphone amps from Beyerdynamic...

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #381 of 381
With T1.3 being 32ohm, I don’t think we’d see any new headphone amps from Beyerdynamic...
That’s true, there may not be unless it’s an high end low output impedance amplifier. The headphone scales very well and it’s not inferior to the 600 Ohm T1’s, in fact technically I’ll argue it’s better than the T1.2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back