Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Dec 14, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #227 of 381
@Taz777 Home AV Direct is selling it on their own website this weekend for £449

I also saw a 10% off link to the store ...not sure if it works in addition to the sale price.

https://www.discountonline.co.uk/ho...odes-7780.html?click=yes&promotion_id=2018943

I bought the Amiron Home from Amazon Prime in the end, paid a bit more but the purchase was hassle-free. Very comfortable headphones and just perfect for night-time listening in bed. The sound isn't clinical or fatiguing. It's laid back, extremely clear and detailed, and pleasing to listen to. The 3m headphone cable is so useful for night-time listening too.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #228 of 381
I chord mojo that you recommend me the dt1990 or amiron?
Either will be a great match. Do you like warm and euphonic (Amiron), or accurate and revealing (DT 1990 with Analytical pads)?
Bass and lower midrange on the DT 1990 with Balanced pads is in between these two, but highs are more peaky than either.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #229 of 381
Well, just read this entire thread and still have no idea whether to go 1990 or Amiron. I like detail but don't care for glare or edge. This will be for listening to classic rock, classical, and film scores late at night in bed.

I have two nice pairs of 3.5mm cables (xlr and rca) which I could use with the Amiron so that's something. I have a Violectric amp but right now I'm using my tube amp, a Quad EL94 amp. The 1990's are better looking but I think the Amiron might be more comfy (I like a looser clamp) and more easy to listen to.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #231 of 381
I can provide some feedback on the Amiron Home based on 2-3 hours of listening per night over the last couple of weeks. Firstly, it's supremely comfortable - given a good source, you could listen for hours on end without getting fatigued. The clamp isn't very tight at all, but also doesn't fall off my head when lying down in bed. If you have soft pillows then these may foul the headphone slightly.

The 3-metre cable is perfect for listening in bed if that's your thing, or for when the headphone jack isn't right next to you. The cable also doesn't tangle so isn't annoying!

The sound is very detailed and very clear, whilst still being extremely musical.

Now the downside: if you're a bass lover and like a thumping bass, then the Amiron Home may not be the best choice. The bass is certainly there and is incredibly detailed. It's not not one heavy lump of bass. You hear all the different bass tones from the various instruments, but the level of the bass doesn't floor you.

Another possible downside, despite the efficiency and 250-Ohm impedance of the Amiron, is that it does like to be driven quite hard. I have an Arcam rHead head amp and it's usually set to the 1 O-Clock position to provide sufficient weight and headphone volume to the music at night. This is with my DACs volume control at -3dB.

I've found that I can position musical instruments quite well within the soundstage. I don't know how all of that compares to the 1990 - from what I've read, the 1990 is more of an accurate studio monitor rather than for 'enjoying music'. I specifically went for the Amiron as I wanted a headphone for bedtime use to enjoy my music and it had served me well so far.

As I mentioned, if thumping bass is your thing then you may be disappointed.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #232 of 381
Sorry if this is OT but has anyone a solution to the chronic squeak and creak of plastic glasses frames on the earpads of the Amiron Home? Is a modification possible that doesn't just involve taking my glasses off or buying new metal frame glasses? Incidentally, I have the Amiron Homes and the Sony MDR Z7M2 and think I marginally prefer the Amiron Homes. They are bit less glarey on cymbals which can tend to shout on the Z7M2s. Maybe I need to burn them in properly.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #234 of 381
The Amiron has a burn in period, but it is not as long as many other headphones. You will probably find its midbass to be rather elevated out of the box. This begins to improve rather quickly. The midbass settles somewhat after only about 8-10 hours. The headphone reaches its final sound at around 50-60 hours use. Even after burn in, the headphone does have a somewhat elevated midbass, which gives the headphone more warmth than most other Beyerdynamic headphones. The Amiron is not bright in its signature at all. Being harsh or fatiguing is not at all part of its character. All of the detail is there, and the headphone offers a great soundstage and imaging. You will hear things in music you have not heard before.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #236 of 381
Hey guys,

Recently got the Amiron Home and a Sony ZX 300. Fantastic combo. I'm hearing music in new ways and really enjoying it. However, I have been using the MDR 1000x m3, and even though I've felt they are top notch for BT, they sound terrible by comparison. Anyone recommend a good close back can with good isolation that sounds as good as the Amiron? I'm really partial to Beyer and previously owned the 1770 that I paired with an LG V30, but the ZX300 murders the V30. Also considering Denon 7200, T5p, Audeze lcd 2 closed, and Sony MDR z7. If anyone has experience with these relative to the Amiron, I would appreciate it. I don't care about traditional "portability." I care about SQ and isolation, as they will be used in loud environments.

Thanks in advance

Josh

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #237 of 381
Hey guys,

Recently got the Amiron Home and a Sony ZX 300. Fantastic combo. I'm hearing music in new ways and really enjoying it. However, I have been using the MDR 1000x m3, and even though I've felt they are top notch for BT, they sound terrible by comparison. Anyone recommend a good close back can with good isolation that sounds as good as the Amiron? I'm really partial to Beyer and previously owned the 1770 that I paired with an LG V30, but the ZX300 murders the V30. Also considering Denon 7200, T5p, Audeze lcd 2 closed, and Sony MDR z7. If anyone has experience with these relative to the Amiron, I would appreciate it. I don't care about traditional "portability." I care about SQ and isolation, as they will be used in loud environments.

Thanks in advance

Josh

My understanding was that Beyer Amiron Wireless should have been that, since it is closed back, but since I'm still waiting on receiving the review unit for it, in the meanwhile I can really recommend Ultrasone Signature DXP for what you need :)

DXP was the one headphone we agreed was incredibly good when we had our Romanian Audiophile Meeting last weekend. Literally everybody there agreed they loved it, regardless of their prior tastes and such.

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2018/07/ultrasone-signature-dxp-legend-continues.html

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #238 of 381
Thanks. I r Ally prefer a wired Soni can take full advantage of the ZX 300, but the ultrasone sounds interesting. I do wonder how it compares to the others. If only I could spend $4k and get them all! (If only I had $4k)

Jan 21, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #239 of 381
Thanks. I r Ally prefer a wired Soni can take full advantage of the ZX 300, but the ultrasone sounds interesting. I do wonder how it compares to the others. If only I could spend $4k and get them all! (If only I had $4k)

Well, Signature DXP is just 500 USD As far as I remember.

It should be one of the the best Closed Back Headphones in the 500 price range, if you're looking for a closed back that has the soundstage of an open-back. It also has excellent dynamics and details, quite beautifully done :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #240 of 381
@JoshG1217 & @Dobrescu George I picked up a set Ultrazone Pro 900i when they were on sale last year and can highly recommend the S-Logic technology, they are quite efficient and easy to drive as well. The DXP appears to be even better efficiency wise and I can see why enthusiasts would enjoy the sound.

I also bought some Audeze Sine HPs the end of last year and find them to be quite comfortable for an on ear design, they seal well, articulate for comfort even w/glasses and have that magic Audeze planar sound with good isolation making them a good choice for a portable environment.

I love it when supersale/impulse buys work out and become go to HPs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back