Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Feb 21, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #241 of 381
I have a beyer Amiron Home arriving on Saturday and I'm really looking forward to giving these a listen! I've owned a DT 1990 Pro for a couple of years and it's a daily driver (balanced pads - I built a custom Grado type headphone that covers the sonic territory as the 1990 w/ analytical pads) . The Amiron Home will be taking over for the Sennheiser HD650 that I recently sold. By all descriptions and reviews the Amiron Home should be a far better fit for me than was the HD650.

I'll be driving the Amiron Home with a schiit Lyr 3 hybrid tube amp. This amps maximum power into 300 ohm load is 900mW RMS per channel - more than enough to properly drive the Amiron Home (it certainly makes the DT1990 Pro sing!)

Signal chain:
Schiit EITR gen5 USB to S/PDIF coax -->
Schiit Modi Multibit DAC -->
Schiit Loki Mini EQ -->
Schiit Saga tube hybrid preamp -->
Schiit Lyr 3 tube hybrid amp

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #245 of 381
Well, after giving the Amiron Home some time to break in (mine had seen less than 50 hours when I received it) I'm quite taken with it. I'm generally listening to acoustic music, classical, and jazz with the Amiron, and electric blues, rock, metal, R&B / hip hop, etc. Not exclusively - each genre plays well through either - but the listed genres generally seem well suited to the strengths of each of these two headphones.

The Amiron Home has been seeing a lot of listening time in recent months. This evening my wife asked to listen to hear a Ludovico Einaudi track named 'Experience' with what she calls 'the grey headphones' (Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 600 ohm - a headphone I no longer own, and one she was fond of). I had her give this track a listen with the DT 1990 Pro and then again with the Amiron Home. She liked what she was hearing with the 1990 but she about flipped out listening again with the Amiron Home. Piano and strings play well through the Amiron. She's all but forgotten about the 'grey headphones'. In the meantime I got my first listen to the DT 1990 Pro in months (I have a custom Grado build that has been sharing time with the Amiron Home the past few months) which led to a revisit of some of my favorite rock tracks and albums, and I'd forgotten just how fantastic this headphone is.

I am on my second whisky (Suntory Toki) so my judgement may be ever so slightly impaired. Or, perhaps, my judgement is as it always is and my brain is just particularly happy with my music selection for the evening, and with the way the DT 1990 Pro presents this music. Either way, I'm still of the mindset that the Amiron Home and the DT 1990 Pro are complimentary headphones, each with its own strengths.

Though it's an over-simplification I would say that I prefer acoustic music with the Amiron Home and electric music with the DT 1990 Pro. This is, of course, mood dependent as each headphone is as capable of delivering a pleasing presentation as the other for any genre.

I hope my (slightly whisky influenced) thoughts are helpful. :)

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #246 of 381
The Amiron Home is a very special headphone. It is the one headphone that finally made me decide to stop looking further. The point of diminishing returns truly comes into play after this. I plan to never sell mine, and I see no need to buy another open back. It offers such a wonderful listening experience. Also, indeed, a few liquorized beverages while listening to it will really get your foot and head moving. :p

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #247 of 381
Hello guys how's it going for everybody??Need some help from u guys. I own the amiron home for more than a year now and it's my main homie hp...also have dt770,880,hd600,6XX ..and love all of them. I now want to own a headphone with significantly bigger soundstage than amiron home...note I'm not going to replace any of these hps even after I'm dead, my soul will keep listening to these but a headphone with significantly bigger soundstage is what I'm looking for right now. What I'm looking at is Beyerdynamic t1gen2(which I THINK is not going to be a significantly bigger upgrade bt I want to be wrong bcoz getting a t1 is a lot easier for me), Sennheiser HD 800/800S, btw I'm also interested in Focal, Hifiman and Audeze Cans...need ur suggestions, especially from MR.KMANN

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #248 of 381
The Amiron Home is a very special headphone. It is the one headphone that finally made me decide to stop looking further. The point of diminishing returns truly comes into play after this. I plan to never sell mine, and I see no need to buy another open back. It offers such a wonderful listening experience. Also, indeed, a few liquorized beverages while listening to it will really get your foot and head moving. :p
yes exactly...after listening to a particular headphone for sometime we automatically get somewhat bored of it and a urge arises to try out something new but this amiron is very unique and pulls back to itself....very addictive...i literally started to lust on it everyday shortly after it was launched ...it looks like a million bucks imo,,,maybe its just me but after reading all you guys' sonical analysis on headfi i pulled the trigger on these...my biggest investment on a hp so far...was a little scared bcoz had been saving up for a long time...bt Thanks to all of u guys for helping me out especially MR.KMANN

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #249 of 381
Hello guys how's it going for everybody??Need some help from u guys. I own the amiron home for more than a year now and it's my main homie hp...also have dt770,880,hd600,6XX ..and love all of them. I now want to own a headphone with significantly bigger soundstage than amiron home...note I'm not going to replace any of these hps even after I'm dead, my soul will keep listening to these but a headphone with significantly bigger soundstage is what I'm looking for right now. What I'm looking at is Beyerdynamic t1gen2(which I THINK is not going to be a significantly bigger upgrade bt I want to be wrong bcoz getting a t1 is a lot easier for me), Sennheiser HD 800/800S, btw I'm also interested in Focal, Hifiman and Audeze Cans...need ur suggestions, especially from MR.KMANN

If you want an upgrade in soundstage, the best way to go will be the Beyerdynamic T1 V2. The thing is though, the Amiron is already not narrow in its soundstage at all. It is actually rather wide. What amp and DAC are you using with yours ?

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #250 of 381
If you want an upgrade in soundstage, the best way to go will be the Beyerdynamic T1 V2. The thing is though, the Amiron is already not narrow in its soundstage at all. It is actually rather wide. What amp and DAC are you using with yours ?
ty so much for ur kind reply...its rather faster than i had expected...btw i use a topping d10 with darkvoice 336se and have fiio a5...i want to upgrade to a burson amp but im also interested in the beyer a20 amp.

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #251 of 381
I use the SMSL M8A new revision, which has the SABRE ES9038Q2M DAC chip in it. Be aware that even though the amazon listing says it has the ES9028 chip in it, that unit is no longer sold. Amazon has just not updated the listing yet. The one being sold there is the upgraded version that with the newer SABRE chip. If you upgrade from your D10 to this, you will notice a great improvement in sound quality. Your D10 has the ES9018K2M, which is already a good DAC chip, but the ES9038Q2M is a nice jump up from that. This SMSL M8A is a perfect upgrade for you. You will notice improvements in bass tightness, soundstage, instrument separation, imaging, and treble extension, cleanliness and detail. The Amiron Home scales very well with DAC and AMP upgrades. For an AMP I have my M8A DAC paired with the Audio-GD C2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp. Just look at the power output on this puppy. It has a very neutral and flat sound signature, with a slightly holographic character to its soundstage. This unit is a much better choice for the money than the Beyer A20 amp. You would be really impressed with it if you ever decide to get one. It will power any headphone you want. Just look at the power output of this puppy. Both of these units offer excellent synergy when paired with the Amiron Home, and I highly recommend them.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22019/C22019EN.htm

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-ES9028Q...ords=smsl+m8a&qid=1563219422&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #252 of 381
I use the SMSL M8A new revision, which has the SABRE ES9038Q2M DAC chip in it. Be aware that even though the amazon listing says it has the ES9028 chip in it, that unit is no longer sold. Amazon has just not updated the listing yet. The one being sold there is the upgraded version that with the newer SABRE chip. If you upgrade from your D10 to this, you will notice a great improvement in sound quality. Your D10 has the ES9018K2M, which is already a good DAC chip, but the ES9038Q2M is a nice jump up from that. This SMSL M8A is a perfect upgrade for you. You will notice improvements in bass tightness, soundstage, instrument separation, imaging, and treble extension, cleanliness and detail. The Amiron Home scales very well with DAC and AMP upgrades. For an AMP I have my M8A DAC paired with the Audio-GD C2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp. Just look at the power output on this puppy. It has a very neutral and flat sound signature, with a slightly holographic character to its soundstage. This unit is a much better choice for the money than the Beyer A20 amp. You would be really impressed with it if you ever decide to get one. It will power any headphone you want. Just look at the power output of this puppy. Both of these units offer excellent synergy when paired with the Amiron Home, and I highly recommend them.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-ES9028Q...ords=smsl+m8a&qid=1563219422&s=gateway&sr=8-1
ty so much again...who could have given me this information about matching synergy other than a amiron user himself...actually i'm aware of the very popular nfb 11 and how good the rest of the audio gd products are and i needed a proper ss desktop amplifier bcoz dv336 is colored and i prefer it for certain genres otherwise its too bass heavy and fiio a5 is good as a portable amp...i will try to get the exact amp u mentioned bt still i wanna know that in your particular setup how much diff is there between the soundstage and imaging of t1gen2 and amiron home ?? note im never ever gonna part from my darling amiron...i'm a fan of hd600/650/amiron and other fellow dark sounding headphones...just wanna have a soundstage monster for gaming and some acoustic genres

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #253 of 381
I am not a T1 owner, and I have never heard it paired with my equipment. You will need to find someone who owns the T1 to give you an appropriate assessment of the headphone. I have heard the T1 V2 only once before. It is an amazing headphone, and it does have a wider soundstage than the Amrion Home. Again though, if you upgrade your DAC and AMP, you will get improvements with the Amiron Home. The Amiron Home is definitely not lacking in soundstage. It is already an excellent headphone in regards to imaging, as well as soundstage width and depth. Because the Amiron is a bit warm in its sound signature, it pairs the best with neutral sounding equipment. If you pair it with warm DACs and AMPs, you may find the bass to become too forward. You would notice a big improvement with the Amiron if you paired it with the DAC and AMP that I use. Both of those units are very neutral in their signature. They allow you to get the most possible out of the Amiron. In terms of power, the headphone amp has plenty. On low gain, the volume goes from 0-100. On high gain, it goes from 0-63. On high gain, the Amiron is nice and loud at about 28 on the volume.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #254 of 381
Audio-GD also sells a balanced version of the C-2, which is called the NFB1. The C-2 and NFB1 are the same amp, except the C-2 is single ended, and the NFB1 is balanced. There is one thing to be aware of though. Both amps have an XLR connection. However, with the C-2 being a single ended amp, it allows the full power output out of the 1/4 inch jack, and also the XLR jack. The NFB1, being a balanced amp, only allows the full power output out of the XLR jack. If you buy the NFB1, and use the 1/4 inch jack, you will only get half the power output of the amp. It requires use of the XLR jack to get the full power output. I have no interest in balanced, so I just bought the C-2 instead. The XLR connection on the C-2 is essentially just there for convenience if you end up buying a headphone with the balanced connections. You get the full power output on it, no matter what connection you use.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1AMP/NFB1AMPEN.htm

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #255 of 381

I concur. Though I've no experience based knowledge of the gear recommended by DW75 I can say with confidence that you'd be better served upgrading your DAC and headphone amp vs. buying another headphone. The Amiron Home is capable of delivering a spacious soundstage and, as already mentioned, it scales well with source component upgrades. Put another way, any sonic limitation from any component in the signal chain cannot be alleviated with an upgrade in headphones - not, at least, in any significant way. A new headphone (HD800, beyer T1, etc) may well end up being more of an expensive side-grade than a perceivable upgrade, while well-chosen upgrades in your signal chain may well improve the soundstage presented in your Amiron Home to a point where it satisfies the desire for a larger soundstage, and will provide a more capable system to drive future headphone upgrades.

All of this is subjective, of course, and entirely dependent upon the listeners ears and perception. YMMV :)

Edit to add: Lots more information provided by DW75 while I was typing. My typing is nothing to write home about. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back