Prodipe Pro800: Best Easily Found <$50 Headphone Ever? (Impressions and Reviews Thread)
Mar 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 42
I have never heard an AKG unfortunately. The Cortex's do go lower and yes I'm sure that they are the same as the Prodide's minus the tape.
At least, when I took them apart that was the only discernible difference.

Same enclosures, same sqaure piece of foam inside, same slots (but like I said half of the Prodipe's are covered while the Cortex are completely open), same drivers etc, etc. If there is another difference I couldn't see it.

The Cortex's do go lower and they destroy the XB500's. They may not go quit as low as the XB500's but the Prodipe's and the Cortex just kill them in every other regard. One thing I noticed about the XB500's is that the bass was omnipresent - ie always there whether it was on the recording or not. Neither the Cortex's or the Prodipe's do this. Bass is only present when it is on the recording, which is how it should be IMO. And the bass (when present) is strong and powerful.

Since you do want the lower, more pronounced bass I too think the Cortex would be the wise choice for you.

And trust me, dude, they are circumaural.

PS I really wish Ishcabible would come in here and answer some of these questions.

ISHCABIBLE! SHOW YOURSELF!!!

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:
The Cortex's do go lower and they destroy the XB500's. They may not go quit as low as the XB500's but the Prodipe's and the Cortex just kill them in every other regard. One thing I noticed about the XB500's is that the bass was omnipresent - ie always there whether it was on the recording or not. Neither the Cortex's or the Prodipe's do this. Bass is only present when it is on the recording, which is how it should be IMO. And the bass (when present) is strong and powerful.

I've got the 700s and not the 500s, but I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the whole point of the XB500s.  They've got so much bass that they bring bass that's normally buried in the mix to the forefront.

On some live albums I can hear the rumblings of crap being moved about on stage, back stage, stuff that sounds like passing traffic, etc.  They open you up to whole new world of recording flaws that no one else can hear.  That's why they're best for purely electronic music which won't contain any of those flaws since it isn't recorded in the first place.

They also go lower than anything else I've heard at any price (though the XB1000s would appear to have stolen that crown) and they're probably worth keeping just for that.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #33 of 42

Quote:

let me see if i can invoke him

ISHCABIBLE! ISHCABIBLE! ISHCABIBLE!

beetlejuice.jpg

I am seriously considering get me some prodipes 800 next month, and if i do ill ask Joker if he wants to review mines.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 42

Quote:

Quote:
I have never heard an AKG unfortunately. The Cortex's do go lower and yes I'm sure that they are the same as the Prodide's minus the tape.
At least, when I took them apart that was the only discernible difference.

Same enclosures, same sqaure piece of foam inside, same slots (but like I said half of the Prodipe's are covered while the Cortex are completely open), same drivers etc, etc. If there is another difference I couldn't see it.

Since you do want the lower, more pronounced bass I too think the Cortex would be the wise choice for you.

And trust me, dude, they are circumaural.

PS I really wish Ishcabible would come in here and answer some of these questions.

I'M SORRY I HAVE A LIFE. Haha. And yeah, they're definitely circumaural. Their hole is about a couple milimeters smaller than the K271 hole. The headphones themselves are surprisingly big.

Once I get them back from the loaner program I'll experiment with the bass ports

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #35 of 42
So, I just saw a banner ad for the Prodip 800s at Neweeg here on headfi.

Destiny or tracking cookies?

Either is disturbing if you ask me...

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #37 of 42
1. Good thing I didn't click on it then.  
wink_face.gif

2. Where do I sign up for this racket?

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #38 of 42
Apr 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #39 of 42

Quote:
I guess they aren't Ultrasone OEMs then, just a knock-off of the design.

every time this design 'phone comes out peeps say it must be an ultrasone. its not. ultrasone uses a generic design used by many many headphone manufacturers

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:
every time this design 'phone comes out peeps say it must be an ultrasone. its not. ultrasone uses a generic design used by many many headphone manufacturers

So I suppose the question becomes, "Who's the real OEM?" then.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #41 of 42
Finally wrote a review. (I've been really slow lately...) I really don't know what to do with them now. Anyone have a headphone with broken drivers? I'd hate for these to go to waste because of their shoddy build. Their drivers are excellent.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #42 of 42
IMO these are pretty decent headphones for the price. I bought the original version, the Takstar TS-650. Their pretty warm, but they've got great bass, they feel really sturdy. The only down is that these aren't really portable headphones, their pretty heavy and get pretty warm after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back