Probably the biggest mod ever done to... Part 2: Beyers DT 770 (Woodies, detachable cable, leather headband, minor tweaks).
May 11, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 38
Answering to Kabber and shigzeo at the same time
smily_headphones1.gif
: it's not exatly headphile mod(to Kabeer), because the wood bulges outside the circumference of the plastic housing for approx. 1mm(to shigzeo) I've done that on purpose, because i think when you look at the headphones from the side, you don't see plactic because of that 1mm bulge, you see only wood circle
wink.gif
Think little mushroom!
evc13b.jpg

2cymf04.jpg

May 11, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 38
QQQ, I can see how the actual wood shape is different. What I meant was , liek how you took steps to lower the treble etc.. the steps to change the sound, I wonder if they are the same as headphile. If so, then you have a DIY Darth, even though its slightly different visually
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 38
1. Great job, they make me want to get a pair of 770's to mess with.

2. How do you get the pads off to dye them. I have a pair of 990's and I'd love to give them black pads

3. What did you dye them with so that if your face gets sweaty you don't end up with black circles around your ears?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #22 of 38
1. Thanks and you can make closed any phone from Beyer top line (770, 880, 990). They're all using the same drivers. (the 250 ohm versions).
2. Afaik, the 990 have different pad mounting system than 770, so i can't help here. But probably there's nothing difficult about that, just try to pull.
3. Listened to them for several hours in a row, still no black circles
smily_headphones1.gif
. Just google "fabric dyers" and you'll get all the info you need.

May 14, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #24 of 38
Hmmm...Darthy hahaha i wonder....Darths vs these?

May 28, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #26 of 38
Guys, i need help. I need some Beyers' genuine leather black pads. Maybe someone have a pair for sale, or can buy a pair for me in US, because getting a pair in Europe will cost me around 100$(long story short, but that's how it is).. PM me please if somebody can help\do it for me.

May 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #27 of 38
REALLY nice looking cans! Congrats - you did a great job!

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #28 of 38
First of all, great thanks to member asuka10456, whos help in obtaining Beyer leather pads was terrific.
I was so excited when i got those Beyer leathers, they're really nice quality and superb feel. But when i put them on the cans and listened to some tracks, i was like
confused.gif
The SQ was considerably worser that with pleather pads, which i used temporarily. (Those pleather pads are not Beyer's, they're actually from some cheap Philips cans) I think the difference is because pleather pads are much smaller depth-wise, so the drivers are really close to your ears with pleather(the pic will tell you better). I really love how they sound with pleather pads - fun, almost no sibilant, with greatly improved mids and balanced across the spectrum. With Beyer leather pads, they sound almost as bad as with stock velour pads - more sibilant, edgy, with distant mids and even worse, leather pads give them some kind of a nasal, honky coloration.
Of course things will improve once new pads will breal in, but they'll newer be as slim as pleathers. Actually, there's are downside with pleather pads-because they're so slim, your ears are actually touched by foam which covers the drivers.
So, if you can obtain some low-profile isolating pads for your Beyers, give it a try and you will be astonished!
264ktx3.jpg

do1df6.jpg

P.S. Gotta figure out what to do now...i'm under impression that Senn HD 250 pads can help...

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 38
Interesting - I will have to see if I can find some pads like that to try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back