Probably the biggest mod ever done to... Part 2: Beyers DT 770 (Woodies, detachable cable, leather headband, minor tweaks).
May 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Since Woody-ing of my HD 555 proved to be succesful, i decided to try something else. This time - DT 770. The complete list of modifications performed:
1. Woody-ing! I was lucky enough to score some Hevea wood (well i wasn't that lucky afterall-this are REALLY hard sort of wood to handle, but on the other hand, it's really sturdy. Anyway, it was my first and last time working with Hevea, it's too difficult to work with it)
2. Detachable cable system. I used some proven sturdy RCA sockets, which will not become lousy over time and, most importantly, allows to do a lot of various cables, since RCA's are easy to find. On the downside, it's not a good idea to use full size RCA plugs because it will create to much lever-effect on the socket and will put undesirable stress on the socket. But it's just not that big of a problem since custom-sized plugs can be done.
3. Again, i was lucky to find some Italian leather, so i put it on the headband. Even though it not looks that different on the photos, but in the reallity it's much more pleasant feel and smell
smily_headphones1.gif
! This genuine leather is lot more strong that stock Beyer leatherette headband and probably will not wear down anytime soon.
4. Dyed earpads(page 2).

Now, to the pics:

16awe4n.jpg

2qlz8te.jpg

6hjkvq.jpg

2vlpe2a.jpg

k9xuuv.jpg

nwzc6e.jpg

5zmnon.jpg

smzx1e.jpg

25yuno0.jpg

4ftjwz.jpg

2d9d9v5.jpg

2nvrwj5.jpg

9uceg1.jpg

14dkllg.jpg

11aidty.jpg

jua2d1.jpg

Just wanted to share...

May 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 38
Wow, that is all kinds of awesome. I especially like the removable cable.

May 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 38
great work on the modding,
wondering how the wood will changes the sound signature...

May 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 38
Any chance you've got enough of that leather left for a second headband? =D

May 10, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Very impressive. How long did it all take?

It took a week of hard work. Started Monday, finished Saturday. Most difficult part was 3 days of woodworking.(5+ hours a day).
Will comment on sound later, but i kinda achieved what i planned to achieve-put the midrange more upfront, tame highs a bit. And that wood, you know, it definitely have it's own sound character and resonances..
Quote:

Any chance you've got enough of that leather left for a second headband? =D

Not sure, will check tomorrow, too tired today, sorry.

May 11, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 38
About the sound: as i reported before, i don't found DT 770\05 to be bass heavy cans, but they had those Beyer "overly-active" treble and somewhat calm midrange. To tame the highs i've used the same trick that Beyer used to do on DT 880's: additional layer of felt over the driver. Between the driver and covering foam, to be precise.

With midrange, the wood is a great help by itself, but also the inner configuration of the wooden cup helps to push the midrange a bit forward.
Finally, the original configuration of DT 770\880\990 features single-entry cable and additional wire that goes from left to the right cup. So, with double-entry cable, the wire-hole on the cup becomes exposed(marked as "2" on the picture, whereas "1" is stock hole), which creates additional air\driver movement and bass becomes simply monstrous. So, if balanced sound is a must, that hole ("2") has to be sealed.
rmmown.jpg

Namrac, i think a have some spare leather.

May 11, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

mate, ohter than a little bulge of the wood housing from the plastic hole

I'm sorry, but i think i don't get it completely. Please rephrase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back