Print coming off on silver RSA amps
Mar 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kayser

100+ Head-Fier
So, actually, the problem is in the title.

I used to own a silver RSA Mustang, now I bought a silver RSA SR-71A from a friend of mine, and both amps have or had the same problem - the black print coming off. It must be quite a common issue, since I saw people in the FS forum selling their silver RSA amps with the very same problem.

Since Ray Samuels gives a 3 year transferable warranty on his amps, I emailed him and asked if he could ship me a black replacement case with front and backplates, but he responded that he wouldn’t do this and that I must ship the amp back to him and pay the shipping fee both ways.

The thing is that I'm in Russia and shipping to the USA with Express Mail will be way too pricey, around $60. Moreover, I don’t think it's really that hard to ship the replacements parts to Russia with First Class Mail. I mean, I had the same situation with iBasso, when my D10 arrived with a scratch, and after I provided the photos they shipped me a replacement case immediately with no questions.

So, I’m wondering guys if anybody of you faced the same problem. Of course, the amp doesn’t sound worse, but still it’s a warranty issue from how I see it, and I don't understand why I should ship the amp back to the USA to have the case changed. 

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Of all the things that can go wrong with an amp, I'd rate this somewhere between spilling ice-cream on my jeans and being annoyed by telemarketers - as long as the thing continues to do its job, I couldnt care less if there is no branding at all on it. I admit that resale value would take a hit, but I didnt buy my D4 to sell it, and that would be tough anyway since the USB DAC packed it in about 3 months after I got it.

All that aside, Ray places a premium on his amps - might be time for him to look into improving the lettering.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Not that this print coming off bothers me that much, but I thought I somehow have the right to expect good quality (and not only SQ) from one of the best and most expensive portable amps in the market, you know.
Interesting that this seems to be an issue only with amps in silver/clear color, that BTW cost $15 more, LOL 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Sadly, as is often pointed out on Head-Fi, paying more is no guarantee of getting a higher quality product in audio. As I said in my initial reply, I would be more concerned with the sonics of an RSA amp, but you make a valid point re pricing. Interesting that Dr Meier can sell the Stepdance for less than many of Ray's amps, but I guess its easy to say that when we dont know what Ray's costs are. Unlike many on Head-Fi, I accept that amp makers are entitled to actually make a (shock, horror) profit from the sale of their amps.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 7
First of all, you did not pay Ray anything for your amp. You purchased it from someone else.

Secondly, having to send the product back to the manufacturer for warranty repair service is perfectly reasonable. What is not reasonable is for you to expect the manufacturer to simply ship you a replacement case. Any manufacturer worth its salt would want to be sure you ended up with a working product.

I realize that you being so far away requires shipping charges & time away from your amp. But this does not diminish Ray's customer service.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 7
Think of the wear as patina. As long as it is still functioning, I wouldn't worry about it.

The lettering is coming off the back of my Zana Deux. Entirely my doing - I've taken it to several meets and have hauled it back and forth from California to Arizona a few times. That is not Craig's fault and I wouldn't think of asking him to fix it under warranty. I caused the wear. But it doesn't detract from the function, so I don't see any need for repair. Besides, I'm happy that it has been to a CanJam and other meets - I'd rather have a lot of people listen to it than have it in pristine condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back