Price:Performance Confusion ; HD600, Q701, Dt880/990
Nov 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

HowToMLG

New Head-Fier
So I've been reading through posts and threads to find all the comparisons of these 'phones, but there is never really a conclusion as to its price to performance ratio with specific numbers;
In where I live, the HD600s are $500, Q701s are $279, and the DT880s/990s are $330. I get conclusions that HD600s are 'better' overall (I listen to soft rock that is often mixed with jazz/acoustics or electronic guitars/instruments and etc.), but are they still worth the big difference compared to the Beyer's or Q701's price:performance? Is there that much of a difference (when used with FiiO E07k + E09k) that permits such a price difference? 

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 39
I'm not sure what the local market factors are where you live, but these 3 headphones are all the same suggested retail price of $399. $500 for the HD600 is an insane markup (you sure that's not the price for HD650s?) the other two seem fairly priced though. Personally, I think the HD600s and DT880s are tied in value - maybe a slight lead for the DT880 due to rugged metal construction. In my opinion they are both better headphones than the AKG, but at $279 the Q701 is also priced fairly. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 39
That clears up my confusion then; many speak as if the senns are worth buying and are entry Hi fis, but $500 and entry don't go hand in hand CD
And yeah... the 650s are $550. Seems like Beyer 880 premium is the best bet?

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 39
For $500, I think the HD600 is overpriced. I paid $265 for my pair used. Even $400 was tough for me to swallow. This is very subjective, but I personally prefer my DT880s and I think that technically the DT880 is a better headphone. It's more neutral, has more extension in the bass and highs, separates instruments better, has better dynamics, more detail, and more dimensional soundstage. The benefit of the HD600s is that they have a more natural, emotional quality that comes from their mid-range presentation, and that can sometimes benefit vocals or acoustic instruments. As far as price/performance though, I personally think the DT880s are unmatched. Especially when you consider actual street price vs. suggested retail. The DT880s are usually below $350. Not to mention the fact that the Beyers have tank-like metal construction, and are the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on. Despite their rugged materials, they feel soft and almost weightless on the head. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 39
It's hard to say when you compare three brands, all with their own "house" sound. Like many here, you'd only know which one is the best buy after actually listening to them. Sometimes the headphone that costs $500 more sounds $1000 better than another TO YOU.

I have listened to all three of these headphones and perfer the sound and comfort of AKGs, but they are all great headphones.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 39
When considering the DT880 don't forget to look at the Pro model. It's the same headphone other than a slightly higher clamping force and coiled cord, but usually cheaper.  

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 39
I have owned the HD600 and the K701. I preferred the HD600, though not by much.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 39
I live in Canada in Ontario. Also @pp312  There's only like a $10-15 difference here, so not something that's influential. Honestly after reviews I was going for the HD600, but the price is just too much with small stock also. Its going to be between the Beyers and the AKGs for me, but IDK which to go for as there is no testing here. Maybe I'm going for the Beyers 990 premium 600 ohms. It was said to be too bright, but I'm hoping a warmer dac and amp like the FiiO E07k and E09k can fix it.

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 39
The 990 isn't that much brighter but does have a lot more bass. Take that into account. The 880 is much more neutral and should be more satisfying in the long run. I say 'should be' because I've never heard the 990, though I can pretty much predict its sound from comments and graphs. I prefer a neutral phone; other prefer boosted top and/or bottom.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 39
  The 990 isn't that much brighter but does have a lot more bass. Take that into account. The 880 is much more neutral and should be more satisfying in the long run. I say 'should be' because I've never heard the 990, though I can pretty much predict its sound from comments and graphs. I prefer a neutral phone; other prefer boosted top and/or bottom.

I have auditioned both the DT990 and DT880 when I was looking for a replacement for my SR80. In comparison to DT880, the DT990's bass felt a bit muddy, and its (bass) quality wasn't great - it was "louder" but less detailed and imo covered the mids too much. The DT880 sounds more natural and pleasant for me, and I couldn't find a track/genre I liked better on the DT990. When I tried them, I used FLAC files and listened to A LOT of different music - rock, metal, stoner, house, trap, trip hop, jazz, funk, disco, blues, punk, dubstep, dnb, hc...
I know some people prefer the DT990, but for me the DT880 wins in every aspect and music genre.

When it comes to prices... I live in Poland and here the DT880 Pro 250ohm costs $250, HD600 $350 and Q701 is $340

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 39
  For the longest time I resisted buying used headphones but I found recently you can really save a ton of money that way and get something that looks almost new. A brand spankin' new headphone is always nice to have, but a used or demoed pair really can work wonders for a budget.

Buying used is a valid option.  I just picked up a used pair of AKG K712 Pros for 270.   I'm tickled pink with excitement, waiting for them to show up.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 39
Im not really experienced in this area, so buying new really is safer on a few levels. Especially for places with good return policies. I'm really thinking about a dt880 or q701 paired with the fiio combo.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 39
  For the longest time I resisted buying used headphones but I found recently you can really save a ton of money that way and get something that looks almost new. A brand spankin' new headphone is always nice to have, but a used or demoed pair really can work wonders for a budget.

A lot of the headphones I've bought used (and that's a lot!) have looked like new (with a few notable exceptions that we won't discuss here). You have to remember that a lot of people buy new on reputation and then re-sell after a couple of listens without even burning in. Just study the photos. If necessary, copy them into My Pictures and use the zoom function--it's amazing what it can show up. But generally I've had very good luck with used phones and saved a fortune into the bargain.  

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 39

A lot of the headphones I've bought used (and that's a lot!) have looked like new (with a few notable exceptions that we won't discuss here). You have to remember that a lot of people buy new on reputation and then re-sell after a couple of listens without even burning in. Just study the photos. If necessary, copy them into My Pictures and use the zoom function--it's amazing what it can show up. But generally I've had very good luck with used phones and saved a fortune into the bargain.  

The headphones I bought recently used were from Adorama, so I also managed to get a 30 day guarantee. And I was also able to deal down the price from $320 to $265 by making an offer. I was really excited to have gotten a deal that good, but when they arrived I was even happier. If I had just purchased a brand new headphone and received the one I did, I wouldn't have known the difference. They arrived pristine, and over the course of a week I watched as the headband lost its deathclamp on my head and the cushions molded to my features, which tells me they were basically new when I bought them. Buying used can be a great experience, money back guarantees are out there, and the savings are phenomenal.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back