Price Inquiry for Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus HE-90
Sep 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CodeScripted

100+ Head-Fier
Based on reading a lot of information on HE90 reviews and posts, I seem to find no particular price range for HE90 (well, I should probably rephrase that....... I see too much fluctuation in prices and no specific range)

Can you please let me know how much should one offer for  HE90 (please identify if you are a previous or current HE90 owner)

What should be the price if the HE90 falls within one of the following category:

Good Condition (Functionally perfect, but cosmetically OK)
Mint Condition (Functionally perfect and cosmetically good)
Excellent Condition (Like New, Functionally and cosmetically perfect)

Also for a modded HE90, should the price go up OR should it stay same OR go down?

Thank you and I sincerely appreciate your input.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 20
Regarding mods:
Are you paying more for these than any other headphone because you think anyone can do better? Put another way, you think a home hobbyist can do better than a team of engineers? I laugh a mighty laugh from the depths of my stomach. 

Note:
Mods do not include repair work to restore the headphones to original condition. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 20
Sorry sir, I asked that because I have heard and read some HE90 pairs have been re-terminated with Stax cable and so on. Therefore for such a rare headphone, does that mean a change in price if things are altered from original specs. Does the pair loses its value since I assume most people want to get the factory version (Original/stock/un-modded). Sorry about that....

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 20
That is a much smaller change, I thought more along the lines of tweaking (adding?) damping, modifying the pads, etc. With regards to the cable, I'd keep it stock myself. My impressions of the HE90 out of the STAX amps kind of sucks. Out of the HEV90 its another beast. totally a different animal and a candidate for all time "best" IMO. My thought is that the headphones respond differently to DC and cap coupled outputs. 

There were STAX <-> HE90 adapters floating around for a while. No permanent mods necessary. The HEV90, Aerestaus, and Woo WES have HEV90 jacks. Its an option on the current production Headamp amps. I haven't listend long enough to really say, but the Woo WES may actually be outstanding with the HE90.

STAX headphones on the HEV90 werent the best I have ever heard them either... 99% sure its the fact that the HEV90 has output caps. caps are there VS caps arent there.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 20
I think if you need to ask the question, it's probably not a price you should be considering paying. 

I personally wouldn't pay more than $2k for one.  But that's me, and that's because I know there are alternatives I prefer more that cost about that amount.  But there are others for whom spending $5k+ for one is a bargain.  To each his own.

If you're really just looking for a general market price, I think that's fairly readily discernable to be honest with just a little bit of work. 

Best,

-Jason

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 20
@NikonGod: Thank you and I appreciate your time and Input. How much would you pay for one with a STAX terminated? and/or Original?

@Jason: Thank you for taking time to respond to this thread. I sincerely appreciate your input. I am willing to pay, but a issue I see is that since HE90 doesn't come "For Sale" too often, there is a lot of discepency in price (sorry for bad choice of words). Because it rarely shows up, some sellers take advantage of this and claim some insane price and all of sudden one might think that is the norm for the price. I see that some folks got it for $7k-8k, and then some paid a bit more.

Therefore what is that going rate? based on condition.... (Good, Mint, Perfect....definition as posted in the Post #1 of this thread)

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 20
The HE90 seem to sell for something in the range of $7-9.000.
Of course dependent on several factors:
* Condition.
* Complete with box, paperwork, ..?
* Where you buy it.
* Timing/luck. Guess meaning if you have strong competition bidding for one or not.
* If it sell separately or as a system with the HEV90

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
I think if you need to ask the question, it's probably not a price you should be considering paying. 

I personally wouldn't pay more than $2k for one.  But that's me, and that's because I know there are alternatives I prefer more that cost about that amount.  But there are others for whom spending $5k+ for one is a bargain.  To each his own.

If you're really just looking for a general market price, I think that's fairly readily discernable to be honest with just a little bit of work. 

Best,

-Jason

Jason!

There is an NYC meet in a little bit! COME!

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 20
$7-9K - just imagining what kind of speakers that could buy. Von Schweikert VR-5SEs for example. 

That being said, the HE-90 when dialed in right (yes they are finicky), is technically the best headphone I've heard. That being said, their sound isn't for everyone. So, make sure you do take up the offer and get to a meet. 

I still think you should go speakers if your looking to spend close to $10K, but I guess that depends on your situation. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
$7-9K - just imagining what kind of speakers that could buy. Von Schweikert VR-5SEs for example. 

That being said, the HE-90 when dialed in right (yes they are finicky), is technically the best headphone I've heard. That being said, their sound isn't for everyone. So, make sure you do take up the offer and get to a meet. 

I still think you should go speakers if your looking to spend close to $10K, but I guess that depends on your situation. 

x2

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 20

I came to the same conclusion.

The HE90 is wonderful - maybe the best I've heard. I also was stunned by the R10.

But when it came to deciding whether to go further up the ladder with headphones, I ended up with the Quads and Orions. The Orions (hopefully) will be up and running soon, but I'm still nuts about the Quads. They'll end up in the bedroom system.

I can't say whether you'd be happier with the HE90 or speakers, but at this level of money, take a look at everything out there.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 20
Last time I talked to Ray Samuels, he told me that he's getting offers for his pair routinely in the range of $7-$10K.  Don't know how serious those are but he still has them.  It would be very hard to resist for me not to buy a mint pair if I ever come across one.

My house doesn't have floor plan or space to accommodate speakers so headphones are it for me.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 20
$7k to 9k is about the going rate for a HE90,The stax plug actually is a minus.Adaptercables are available.
Make sure the drivers are OK ,They are expensive to replace $2700.00.
They are rare & hold their value.
Yes you can buy a good speaker that will out perform the HE90 ,but you are comparing apples to oranges that are used for differant reasons.
I Had 2 pairs & a HEV90  sold them due to lack of use & My listening habits.
But I felt the HE90 & R10 in my opinion are at the top of the food chain as far as headphones go.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Last time I talked to Ray Samuels, he told me that he's getting offers for his pair routinely in the range of $7-$10K.  Don't know how serious those are but he still has them.  It would be very hard to resist for me not to buy a mint pair if I ever come across one.

My house doesn't have floor plan or space to accommodate speakers so headphones are it for me.

El Doug paid 8800.00 for the ones he has. Add the 6K Woo amp and his 5400 Sony SACD player we at about 16K. Great sound and from what I understand only 300 pairs in the world which is why they command the premium. Why would anyone mod and destroy their value. If you have big bucks and are a collector then they are out ther but honestly the LCD2  IMO does many things so much better and thats only my opinion.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
El Doug paid 8800.00 for the ones he has. Add the 6K Woo amp and his 5400 Sony SACD player we at about 16K. Great sound and from what I understand only 300 pairs in the world which is why they command the premium. Why would anyone mod and destroy their value. If you have big bucks and are a collector then they are out ther but honestly the LCD2  IMO does many things so much better and thats only my opinion.

I wouldn't mod it.  Like the Woo WES, my A-10 has both Stax and HV-5 ports so the HEV90 would plug in nicely...if I had one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back