Predator to P-51 Mustang
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for chiming in, Ray. That really helps. What about SQ? Where would you put the Mustang in relation to the Predator or the 71a in terms of strictly amp SQ?

Each has it's on flavor. Which of your three kids do you love more?
Ray Samuels

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 40
That is a good point Ray, but I think you can't play with three kids of same age group, you got to plan that in such a way that they are at least 5 years a part. Just kidding...but with so many things in your line up offering good SQ (A part from Predator's DAC) its really hard for anyone to make up their mind.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 40
Not everyone needs/wants a dac - that dac also adds to the cost. A Predator or a Pico with dac are both aprox. $500. The new P51, having no dac is now $325 (will be $375 later). Now, there's reason.........also the great review, plus a few comments emanating from a couple of meets has made this (me) Meier and XIn buyer a first time Samuels buyer of a P51.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 40
The price is a great reason to buy a Mustang over a Predator... if you have neither. The thread is about why people "upgrade" from a Predator to a Mustang.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 40
Yeah, the reason why I originally started this thread was not to see why someone would get a Mustang straight out. Obviously there are many reasons. What I had in mind was why owners of say, a Predator or a 71a would consider the Mustang. And I was mostly interested in gauging whether or not there was a somewhat discernable SQ difference between the three.

Portability would be one obvious reason to opt for the Mustang straight out. The Predator isn't much bigger than the Predator. The 71a is the largest of the three.

DAC would be another criteria that would set the Predator apart from the other two.

These are all obvious differences. SQ is not obvious which is why I was most interested in finding out about it... which is best done by ME with a MUSTANG, I suppose. haha. I'm sure people will have lots of comparisons to make once they start circulating. Then we'll have to hear about proper burn in, what to burn in WITH and all of the other stuff that drives us all mad. It'll be like an early Christmas ; )

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 40
... .....a reason some Predator owners choose to order a P51 is pure curiosity. I have a friend here (Head-Fi) who is constantly buying other amps. He has a Predator, and pre-ordered a P51 a couple of days after I put in my order. He'll burn it in just enough to compare them - then decide which he prefers. He has owned Corda Move(s), probably 3 Xins, a Portaphile, 3 or 4 of Ray's recent amps....and so on. There are many others doing the same thing...........and, of course, I do the same to a lesser degree.
In my case, the Pico w/dac is going to a Desktop machine and this P51 will be paired with my first laptop (a Alum. MacBook). I've used a pair of Darths with it (with and without amp) which turns out to be a very good pairing........so, expect the P51 will be near-ideal with them for backyard listening.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 40
Oh, I totally understand the curiosity factor. I'm pretty intrigued myself. I guess I'm a one amp kind of a guy, though. I never keep more than one. If I buy one, I'm selling another. Tomahawk--> Hornet--> Pico--> Predator--------------->>> MUSTANG?!?! Haha.

Time will tell. Doubtful, though.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... .....a reason some Predator owners choose to order a P51 is pure curiosity. I have a friend here (Head-Fi) who is constantly buying other amps. He has a Predator, and pre-ordered a P51 a couple of days after I put in my order. He'll burn it in just enough to compare them - then decide which he prefers. He has owned Corda Move(s), probably 3 Xins, a Portaphile, 3 or 4 of Ray's recent amps....and so on. There are many others doing the same thing...........and, of course, I do the same to a lesser degree.
In my case, the Pico w/dac is going to a Desktop machine and this P51 will be paired with my first laptop (a Alum. MacBook). I've used a pair of Darths with it (with and without amp) which turns out to be a very good pairing........so, expect the P51 will be near-ideal with them for backyard listening.

I get the sneaky idea Bob's talking about me., In fact, I'm SURE he is. And he's right: I've had four XIn amps (Supermacro III V6, two Supermacro IV and one Supermacro IV LE)--not including my new Reference--every Samuels' amp except the new SR71-a, the Portaphile and a Corda Move for about three days.

Fortunately, I'vew been able to sel them for what I paid for them, or slighly less so no real financial disaster. Learned many lessons, but as of now tickled pink with my Hornet and Reference. Must wait, though, for that magid couple hundred hours for the Reference to burn in, but so far with only about 20 hrs on it, sounds wonderful.

O and he didn't tell you about the countless IEMs. That's another story
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #24 of 40
The P-51 has a sound pretty much its own. Very dynamic and well, musical. As mentioned in the only review of it here on Head-Fi, the midrange is very special. It is different enough that it isn't like the Predator or the SR-71A and is bound to please many.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the reason why I originally started this thread was not to see why someone would get a Mustang straight out. Obviously there are many reasons. What I had in mind was why owners of say, a Predator or a 71a would consider the Mustang. And I was mostly interested in gauging whether or not there was a somewhat discernable SQ difference between the three.

Portability would be one obvious reason to opt for the Mustang straight out. The Predator isn't much bigger than the Predator. The 71a is the largest of the three.

DAC would be another criteria that would set the Predator apart from the other two.

These are all obvious differences. SQ is not obvious which is why I was most interested in finding out about it... which is best done by ME with a MUSTANG, I suppose. haha. I'm sure people will have lots of comparisons to make once they start circulating. Then we'll have to hear about proper burn in, what to burn in WITH and all of the other stuff that drives us all mad. It'll be like an early Christmas ; )

Quote from above""The Predator isn't much bigger than the Predator.""

Youre right!!! In fact i can bet,without even directly comparing, that theyre exactly the same size!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #27 of 40
I think the Mustang does appear smaller and noticeably. This is with both in hand.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 40
published dimensions show the P51 is 1/2" shorter

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

and it is narrower. They are the same thickness.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Exactly where are these published dimensions? When I visit his site, all I see is pics and a review. Am I blind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back