Predator to P-51 Mustang
Nov 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

tonyfiore75

100+ Head-Fier
With all this hype about the RSA P-51 Mustang I am intrigued as to why so many people are opting to abandon their current amps for this little dynamo. Is it portability? Is it sq? Is it a flavor of the month type deal?

I have a RSA Predator and am quite happy with it. Aside from the fact that the Pred has a DAC what can you use as reasoning to "upgrade" to a P-51?

Let's open this up for discussion...

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 40
People on the market for portable amps look for a few things. I would guess that the top three in no particular order would be portability, SQ, and battery life. This amp looks to have all three of them, I also think the fact that there is a special pricing on the first 200 and having a very favorable review is also what drives people to buy it.

I think a potential increase in SQ is probably a reason to switch to P-51.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 40
common tony people like the amp because it is tiny as heck has a great battery life and big sound...if it was as good as a predator or blackbird is on all departments it would cost just as much...that is just the way business's work

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 40
There's no reason for me to downgrade from a fully burned-in Predator to a Mustang.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no reason for me to downgrade from a fully burned-in Predator to a Mustang.

Why do you call it downgrading? They are all different flavors of the same soup. 8^)

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you call it downgrading? They are all different flavors of the same soup. 8^)

No DAC.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 40
This is why in my initial post I said "Aside from the fact that the Pred has a DAC". That should not be a consideration in this thread because obviously if you want a DAC you would never consider the Mustang.

Personally, I don't love the fact that the gain switch is right on top of the amp. That could be a very dangerous thing considering the fact that I strictly use my rig on the move. I would be afraid of accidentally switching it from low to med or high and then completely blowing my ears off.

Other than that I love how small it is. I would love to eventually hear one and determine if there was a discernable difference between the SQ of the Mustang and the Predator.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I don't love the fact that the gain switch is right on top of the amp. That could be a very dangerous thing considering the fact that I strictly use my rig on the move. I would be afraid of accidentally switching it from low to med or high and then completely blowing my ears off.

That is unlikely. I have seen (and heard) this amp in person and the switch is recessed in. Unless you have long nails, you would need something like a tip of a pen to switch gains.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

This is why in my initial post I said "Aside from the fact that the Pred has a DAC". That should not be a consideration in this thread because obviously if you want a DAC you would never consider the Mustang.

Other than that I love how small it is. I would love to eventually hear one and determine if there was a discernable difference between the SQ of the Mustang and the Predator.

Hi Tony...
The Mustang's gain switch is way below the top of the extrusion. You will never be able to triger it by mistake. You need to use a tooth pick or pensil to switch the toggle to the desired gain.
Ray Samuels

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

....what can you use as reasoning to "upgrade" ...?

Here on HeadFi?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Not applicable.
atsmile.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not everyone wants/needs a DAC with their portable amps, like me.

So you consider the lack of a DAC a feature?

Are people saying that the Mustang offers tangible sound benefit over the Predator? How about better features? Where's the "upgrade"?

Quote:

I have a RSA Predator and am quite happy with it. Aside from the fact that the Pred has a DAC what can you use as reasoning to "upgrade" to a P-51?

I am responding to the OP. The Predator offers everything that the Mustang does, plus a DAC. My Predator is burned in. It is very small, certainly small enough. It sounds fantastic. So I am saying that I don't see a reason to sell my Predator, and buy a new amp with fewer features. And I don't see that the Mustang is an "upgrade" over the Predator. If anything, it has one less feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back