Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Feb 7, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #3,061 of 3,652
ooohhh. I'm interested in midrange planar, but with DD lows and DD highs. or BA highs + EST ultra highs. I find that most BA treble sets work better than EST sets. but I still want that EST extension like the ones in ThieAudio Oracles (minus the wispiness). so, why not BA for treble and EST for upper treble? now, who's up for that? maybe I could go meet Lee of Elysian Acoustic Labs and force him to tune/make one (we live very near to each other).

Why tune/make one when his existing Annihilator does a pretty damn good job. The bass might not be the best, but overall I think it is one of the most complete package out there.

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #3,062 of 3,652
Shuoer EJ07 if you ask him
Fiio FH9 if you ask someone
and Monarch Mkii if you ask someone else
EJO7 - neither better in bass nor in sound stage. Fiio FH9 - competitive bass but just above average sound stage.
MMk2 good bass but not to the point fully and for sound stage it might be discussed

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #3,063 of 3,652
EJO7 - neither better in bass nor in sound stage. Fiio FH9 - competitive bass but just above average sound stage.
MMk2 good bass but not to the point fully and for sound stage it might be discussed

Bring that to other thread and goodluck with your long night 😜
I'm pretty sure you know what i mean

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #3,064 of 3,652
The more "bitter" and critical the reviewer is, the better it is for me why I like ratings, as in taking a stand and standing by it. While I find other reviewers okay when some give more or less 90/92 out of 100 for everything but a few exceptions, I am like "information only" I don't take their recommendations. I went for the u12t's without ever having tried anything beyond Shure 846, and they are very good. So excellent recommendation. I am buying the Sony's Z1R this week as I can find pictures of people showing how they fit in their ears - I think they will fit me. Again never tested them, but I got a sony walkman, so from what I've learned - they go very well together. Price/performance is way past virtually all other endgames, but fit is a hit and miss.

There are a few others on the list I'll go for as well. Then I am hitting headphones next year, as I got to have something to chase...
Congrats on your new shiny! My IER-Z1R is just over 6 months as my EDC and I'm loving it :D bass with DX320 is "too fast and tight" though, hoping new Amp14 NuTubes can soften it down.. AMA if needed :)

Feb 10, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #3,066 of 3,652
Why tune/make one when his existing Annihilator does a pretty damn good job. The bass might not be the best, but overall I think it is one of the most complete package out there.
yeah, that one is undoubtedly amazing. but in this case, I'd like to see a set with a planar driver for the midrange. I bet it's gonna be hard to tune but who knows...

Feb 11, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #3,067 of 3,652
any words regarding Letshuoer Cadenza @Precogvision ?

I heard the prototype a while back, but I have not heard the production version which should have better treble extension. Resolve has the unit right now, and I think he'll review it first, so maybe I'll snag it after.

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #3,068 of 3,652
Sennheiser IE200 Impressions

Price: $150
Configuration: 1DD

Headphones.com review unit: https://headphones.com/products/sennheiser-ie200-in-ear-headphones?_pos=1&_psq=sennheiser+ie+200&_ss=e&_v=1.0#looxReviews

R0000517.JPG

The single-DD market is dominated by a very specific type of sound signature that falls along the lines of the Harman in-ear target with some extra warmth. It’s a simple, tried-and-true formula that caters to a majority of listeners which is why so many companies try to emulate it:

But Sennheiser has always had other ideas about how to tune their IEMs. Most of their past IEMs would be best described as “colored”, a description often realized through a recessed upper-midrange region and copious amounts of mid-treble. In the past, this has made them polarizing listens; I was a fan of Sennheiser’s IE900 but knew that it would not be for everyone. Beginning with the IE600, however, Sennheiser took a dramatic shift to tuning their IEMs.

graph (6).png

The IE200 seems to embody a lot of what Sennheiser has learned from the IE600. The most impressive part about the IE200 would no doubt be its treble response. Single-DDs are often synonymous with poor treble extension. Of course, there are some recent outliers, like the CCA CRA+, but these would best be described as more uncontrolled in the upper-treble and artificial sounding. Sennheiser’s own IE900 is possibly one of the best examples of a “controlled” treble response wherein it makes use of resonance chambers in the shell to tastefully fine-tune the mid-treble while maintaining extension. The IE200 doesn’t quite measure up to the IE900 in this regard - it lacks some intensity at 5kHz to the initial crack of snares, and it’s a little more splashy - but it comes pretty close for being a fraction of the cost. It also does away with some of the treble glare that I found harsh on the IE600.

Other aspects of the IE200’s tuning are less praiseworthy, but quite reasonable for $150. The bass shelf of the IE200 is sharply sub-bass focused for a clean response. I do find it somewhat dry-sounding; most of this sentiment would be baked into the elevated treble response which neuters overall perception of bass decay. The midrange of the IE200 is somewhat unique amongst most single-DDs in that it does indeed sport a more relaxed 3-4kHz region in typical Sennheiser fashion. However, it is not done egregiously, and I almost find myself wishing there was either 1) more warmth in the lower-mids or 2) more recession from 3-4kHz to counteract the IE200’s treble emphasis. As it stands, the IE200 can surprisingly come across somewhat thin-sounding in the midrange.

Technicalities on the IE200 are impressive. The more reserved presence region and excellent treble extension encourages listeners to listen more closely to vocals, for which trailing note edges are easily picked-up on. The IE200, irrespective of its price, is easily in the running for being one of the more detailed sounding single-DDs I’ve heard. Comparatively, imaging is mostly average wherein the soundstage of the IE200 does not expand outside the shells despite relatively good distinction between individual instruments.

In the end, the IE200 is neither a slap in the face to the existing landscape of sub-$200 single-DDs, nor does it entirely put Sennheiser back in the good graces of IEM enthusiasts. However, it does offer a flavor of tuning that you won’t find at a cheaper price, and I think it’s well-worth a listen if you’re looking for a break from the increasingly homogenous budget market.

Bias Score: 6/10

All critical listening done with the stock cable and stock medium silicone tips (I am aware of the extra vent).

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #3,069 of 3,652
Sennheiser IE200 Impressions

Price: $150
Configuration: 1DD

Headphones.com review unit: https://headphones.com/products/sennheiser-ie200-in-ear-headphones?_pos=1&_psq=sennheiser+ie+200&_ss=e&_v=1.0#looxReviews

R0000517.JPG

The single-DD market is dominated by a very specific type of sound signature that falls along the lines of the Harman in-ear target with some extra warmth. It’s a simple, tried-and-true formula that caters to a majority of listeners which is why so many companies try to emulate it:

But Sennheiser has always had other ideas about how to tune their IEMs. Most of their past IEMs would be best described as “colored”, a description often realized through a recessed upper-midrange region and copious amounts of mid-treble. In the past, this has made them polarizing listens; I was a fan of Sennheiser’s IE900 but knew that it would not be for everyone. Beginning with the IE600, however, Sennheiser took a dramatic shift to tuning their IEMs.

graph (6).png

The IE200 seems to embody a lot of what Sennheiser has learned from the IE600. The most impressive part about the IE200 would no doubt be its treble response. Single-DDs are often synonymous with poor treble extension. Of course, there are some recent outliers, like the CCA CRA+, but these would best be described as more uncontrolled in the upper-treble and artificial sounding. Sennheiser’s own IE900 is possibly one of the best examples of a “controlled” treble response wherein it makes use of resonance chambers in the shell to tastefully fine-tune the mid-treble while maintaining extension. The IE200 doesn’t quite measure up to the IE900 in this regard - it lacks some intensity at 5kHz to the initial crack of snares, and it’s a little more splashy - but it comes pretty close for being a fraction of the cost. It also does away with some of the treble glare that I found harsh on the IE600.

Other aspects of the IE200’s tuning are less praiseworthy, but quite reasonable for $150. The bass shelf of the IE200 is sharply sub-bass focused for a clean response. I do find it somewhat dry-sounding; most of this sentiment would be baked into the elevated treble response which neuters overall perception of bass decay. The midrange of the IE200 is somewhat unique amongst most single-DDs in that it does indeed sport a more relaxed 3-4kHz region in typical Sennheiser fashion. However, it is not done egregiously, and I almost find myself wishing there was either 1) more warmth in the lower-mids or 2) more recession from 3-4kHz to counteract the IE200’s treble emphasis. As it stands, the IE200 can surprisingly come across somewhat thin-sounding in the midrange.

Technicalities on the IE200 are impressive. The more reserved presence region and excellent treble extension encourages listeners to listen more closely to vocals, for which trailing note edges are easily picked-up on. The IE200, irrespective of its price, is easily in the running for being one of the more detailed sounding single-DDs I’ve heard. Comparatively, imaging is mostly average wherein the soundstage of the IE200 does not expand outside the shells despite relatively good distinction between individual instruments.

In the end, the IE200 is neither a slap in the face to the existing landscape of sub-$200 single-DDs, nor does it entirely put Sennheiser back in the good graces of IEM enthusiasts. However, it does offer a flavor of tuning that you won’t find at a cheaper price, and I think it’s well-worth a listen if you’re looking for a break from the increasingly homogenous budget market.

Bias Score: 6/10

All critical listening done with the stock cable and stock medium silicone tips (I am aware of the extra vent).
I heard a lot of people didn't really like the bass. It makes sense because the mechanism that allows for two tuning modes leaks a lot of bass, as well as the possibly sub-par seal with the stock tips. If you just tape up the nozzle and use different tips, I think that the bass quality might improve. Sure, the 2nd tuning is lost, but I highly doubt that a large majority of listeners would even bother with the 2nd signature, much less prefer it.

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #3,072 of 3,652
Hi Precog, what are your impressions of the EE Odyssey? It's hard to find details and reviews out there. I'm debating between the EE Odin, EVO and Odyssey. I have the U12Ts and want more bass and energy. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3,073 of 3,652
Hi Precog, what are your impressions of the EE Odyssey? It's hard to find details and reviews out there. I'm debating between the EE Odin, EVO and Odyssey. I have the U12Ts and want more bass and energy. Thanks!
there was a graph of comparing EVO and Odyssey and they had the same bass level, but Odyssey had more sparkle up top, with more relaxed upper mids. Odin has much more controlled bass, and I think it'd make a great complement to the U12t because of its midrange clarity and a more distinct bass shelf. Odyssey and EVO are less of a safe choice, unless you can audition them first.

Edit: Or wait until EE announces their new IEMs :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #3,074 of 3,652

Hey, I only heard it briefly at CanJam SoCal and haven't been able to hear it again since. These were my impressions at the time:

Milling around some more, we made it to Empire Ear's booth where they were showcasing their latest collaboration with Astell&Kern, the Odyssey. To me, the Odyssey was fairly reminiscent of the Empire Ears EVO. Its bass was quite bombastic like the EVO; however, the upper-midrange of the Odyssey was more reserved than either the Odin or the EVO from memory. I found there was almost a wispy, liquid-like quality to certain consonances of the midrange - perhaps attributable to the bone conduction driver in the Odyssey. Treble on the Odyssey was smooth tonally and possibly more extended than the EVO's treble which I found to be more muted for a sense of excitement and micro-dynamics. Imaging seemed excellent. Overall, the Odyssey had a very interesting sound, and I'd need more ear time with it to draw solid conclusions. But make no mistake that I enjoyed my brief demo session with it, and it was great talking with Jack and Dell.

Now that there are measurements out, I'd say my impressions track pretty closely to how it compares to the Odin and EVO. Odin is probably the safest bet of the three and it will give you the upper-midrange forwardness that you lose out on with the U12t. EVO is the most conventionally V-shaped, and Odyssey might work if you want something more colored.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #3,075 of 3,652
Hey, I only heard it briefly at CanJam SoCal and haven't been able to hear it again since. These were my impressions at the time:

Now that there are measurements out, I'd say my impressions track pretty closely to how it compares to the Odin and EVO. Odin is probably the safest bet of the three and it will give you the upper-midrange forwardness that you lose out on with the U12t. EVO is the most conventionally V-shaped, and Odyssey might work if you want something more colored.

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back