Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 16, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #37,201 of 40,629
I've just started listening to the Odyssey's using an SP3k with an OTL cable and Azla Sedna Crystal tips. I've only been listening for about ~20mins and I've been really enjoying it so far. Keep in mind I'm coming from primarily using the Campfire Solaris SE, so this is quite the change.

I did briefly try the Spinfit CP155 tips, but I definitely prefer the Sedna's. I still need to try the Final E tips, but I'll probably wait until the weekend to do that. Are there any other tips that are worth trying?
Buying basically the complete SpinFit line-up (CP100+, CP145, CP155, CP360) :) I prefer the CP360 over the CP155. Although the CP360 is a little challenge to get them onto the Odyssey, it finally gives me a much better seal and more comfortable fit compared to the CP155 - and especially over the stock Final E tips.

I have the Odyssey since last Sunday, just five words:

It is simply a Masterpiece :gs1000smile:

I'm so happy that I was able to get one. Loving it so much. Great job, AK & EE.

(Images follow soon).

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #37,202 of 40,629
Re tips.. I have the best to say about TRI's Clarion. Love the wide opening. Switched from SpinFit to these.

20221207_153431.jpg

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #37,203 of 40,629
I've just started listening to the Odyssey's using an SP3k with an OTL cable and Azla Sedna Crystal tips. I've only been listening for about ~20mins and I've been really enjoying it so far. Keep in mind I'm coming from primarily using the Campfire Solaris SE, so this is quite the change.

I did briefly try the Spinfit CP155 tips, but I definitely prefer the Sedna's. I still need to try the Final E tips, but I'll probably wait until the weekend to do that. Are there any other tips that are worth trying?

I’ve had the best luck with the spinfit W1 tips and the FAudio instrumental tips

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #37,204 of 40,629
Looks like a proper L-shaped set this time!

1671179643869.png
1671179819319.png

EVO with refined mids to low-treble?

@CodenameBK201 I would give it another listen through the weekend. It could just be you mood. Sometimes my LX seems weak and other days it hits so hard that I put -3dB low-shell EQ.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #37,205 of 40,629
Looks like a proper L-shaped set this time!

1671179643869.png1671179819319.png

EVO with refined mids to low-treble?

@CodenameBK201 I would give it another listen through the weekend. It could just be you mood. Sometimes my LX seems weak and other days it hits so hard that I put -3dB low-shell EQ.
To be 100% clear, there's nothing wrong with them. If you're after the clarity of the odin with a nice added bass driver, these are it. My only prior empire ears exposure was the legend evo, and while those are definitely less detailed, less accurate, less, well, expensive sounding, I miss the sheer volume of bass and the impact of it. I'm bummed because I saved hard for these (I'm not in the income bracket to afford more than one IEM set at a time), and to be clear, I'm certain they would make someone with more refined ears looking for a more traditional TOTL very happy. They're just not a style of tuning for me personally. I'd just as soon take a partial trade for the evo if someone had one. I'd miss the detail and treble extension of these, but I guess they're more my speed.

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #37,207 of 40,629
I think part of the likely issue, without sounding too self-deprecating, is that I don't have a well-trained enough ear to appreciate what I'm hearing. I only know from listening to my collection what sounds right to me and what sounds off. With the evo, anything bassy, live performances, or lower end sounds not just good, but great, visceral even--but orchestra stuff, film scores, etc sound off because there's simply not enough high end there, and that's likely because the electrostatic drivers don't exist on the evo. With the Odyssey, bassy stuff sounds good--it's there, it's accurate, but it's not visceral. Orchestral stuff doesn't just sound good, it sounds really good, it sounds pitch accurate, and so does acoustic stuff in general. The question becomes whether the trade off is worth it to you. My ideal IEM is the Odyssey with the bass, specifically the bone conduction, cranked to the level of the evo, and I'm struggling to approximate that on EQ without instead just artificially cranking up the dynamic driver bass instead. That's a very particular thing to me, and not at all the general listening experience I imagine. It's certainly not an issue if you like stuff to be accurate but musical.

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #37,208 of 40,629
I think part of the likely issue, without sounding too self-deprecating, is that I don't have a well-trained enough ear to appreciate what I'm hearing. I only know from listening to my collection what sounds right to me and what sounds off. With the evo, anything bassy, live performances, or lower end sounds not just good, but great, visceral even--but orchestra stuff, film scores, etc sound off because there's simply not enough high end there, and that's likely because the electrostatic drivers don't exist on the evo. With the Odyssey, bassy stuff sounds good--it's there, it's accurate, but it's not visceral. Orchestral stuff doesn't just sound good, it sounds really good, it sounds pitch accurate, and so does acoustic stuff in general. The question becomes whether the trade off is worth it to you. My ideal IEM is the Odyssey with the bass, specifically the bone conduction, cranked to the level of the evo, and I'm struggling to approximate that on EQ without instead just artificially cranking up the dynamic driver bass instead. That's a very particular thing to me, and not at all the general listening experience I imagine. It's certainly not an issue if you like stuff to be accurate but musical.
Having multiple sets for different genres is definitely one of the most annoying parts of this hobby if you seek non-compromise sonic performance. All rounders don't exist IMO.
I also was looking for a more bright and neutral set to compliment LX even before buying either of them, but ultimately eq-ed my old Nemesis to an LX-like with more upper-end, given their similarities in bass and mids and kind of settled on this for now.

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #37,209 of 40,629
As someone who's never heard the EVO or a bone-conducting IEM before, I can't imagine needing more bass/slam. I had a religious experience listening to EDM with my Odyssey, OTL cable and SP3k...

Still deciding if the tuning is right for me, at least for other genres, as I'm more used to a neutral tuning and these are definitely L-shaped. They still need to burn in, as do my ears. But they definitely sound like a top-shelf IEM. Mids are just a tad recessed as someone else mentioned, but otherwise I'd characterize the mids and treble as relatively neutral, sitting on top of a foundation of emphasized, bone-conducting bass.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #37,211 of 40,629
I’ve had the best luck with the spinfit W1 tips and the FAudio instrumental tips

Buying basically the complete SpinFit line-up (CP100+, CP145, CP155, CP360) :) I prefer the CP360 over the CP155. Although the CP360 is a little challenge to get them onto the Odyssey, it finally gives me a much better seal and more comfortable fit compared to the CP155 - and especially over the stock Final E tips.

I have the Odyssey since last Sunday, just five words:

It is simply a Masterpiece :gs1000smile:

I'm so happy that I was able to get one. Loving it so much. Great job, AK & EE.

(Images follow soon).
Thanks for the suggestions . I took a look at both the CP360 and W1 and just ordered the W1 to try.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #37,213 of 40,629
They're definitely more detailed, and they fix a lot of the gap in the highs and treble that I heard on other empire ears sets. That said, not for me I think tuning-wise. They're very audiophile in terms of tuning--nothing is missing, I just think I prefer more of a bassier sound. My set's up in the classifieds, open to negotiating, just trying to recoup what I can:
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/empire-ears-astell-kern-odyssey.38002/
What sources have you used?

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #37,214 of 40,629
I definitely get the “crap the bed” quality from the bass of these much like I did when I first got the legend X but it is definitely a “fatter” bass than the EVOs for sure. I think they both reach equally as deep but I think EVOs is slightly more incisive and goes for sort of a gut punch whereas Odyssey seems more encompassing to me? Sort of like it’s filling out the room more. I definitely noticed the imaging taking a step up after around 3 days of listening and the bass also seemed more dynamic like things were loosening up
I definitely agree that the overall bass of odyssey is involved across more of the overall feel in the low end.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #37,215 of 40,629
I have maybe 15 minutes on them but...lots of boxes checked out of the gate. After EVO and ODIN, which are certainly great IEMs, I feel no one could complain about the upper mids being harsh on the Odyssey. My source is the SP3000 and thus far it appears they are made to go together like peas and carrots.

I will say it is not a listen for the faint of heart, very full, rich. They will need a bit of seasoning time, but if they are a signature that checks boxes out of the gate, it will only improve with seasoning.

I wish I had the Legend X still to A/B, but I think it wouldn't be a fair competition, I would just like to compare the treble extension, Chris I defer to you. Fortunately working from home today so I can log some time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back