Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Feb 6, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #3,046 of 3,654
And I find it a very good place to choose what to buy!
The more "bitter" and critical the reviewer is, the better it is for me why I like ratings, as in taking a stand and standing by it. While I find other reviewers okay when some give more or less 90/92 out of 100 for everything but a few exceptions, I am like "information only" I don't take their recommendations. I went for the u12t's without ever having tried anything beyond Shure 846, and they are very good. So excellent recommendation. I am buying the Sony's Z1R this week as I can find pictures of people showing how they fit in their ears - I think they will fit me. Again never tested them, but I got a sony walkman, so from what I've learned - they go very well together. Price/performance is way past virtually all other endgames, but fit is a hit and miss.

There are a few others on the list I'll go for as well. Then I am hitting headphones next year, as I got to have something to chase...

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #3,047 of 3,654
The more "bitter" and critical the reviewer is, the better it is for me why I like ratings, as in taking a stand and standing by it. While I find other reviewers okay when some give more or less 90/92 out of 100 for everything but a few exceptions, I am like "information only" I don't take their recommendations. I went for the u12t's without ever having tried anything beyond Shure 846, and they are very good. So excellent recommendation. I am buying the Sony's Z1R this week as I can find pictures of people showing how they fit in their ears - I think they will fit me. Again never tested them, but I got a sony walkman, so from what I've learned - they go very well together. Price/performance is way past virtually all other endgames, but fit is a hit and miss.

There are a few others on the list I'll go for as well. Then I am hitting headphones next year, as I got to have something to chase...
Think you will be satisfied by the Z1R. They are unique and unbeaten in bass and sound stage.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #3,048 of 3,654

The Z1R is such a no brainer for just about anyone in this hobby, a steal for the price. And I'm sure the pairing with the Sony will be great. This was one of the most satisfying purchases I've had in the search for endgame sound. Fit shmit...if you have reasonably normal ears, they can fit fine (they're heavier than average resin/plastic/etc. IEMs, but you get the right tips for you and you're golden).

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #3,049 of 3,654
The Z1R is such a no brainer for just about anyone in this hobby, a steal for the price. And I'm sure the pairing with the Sony will be great. This was one of the most satisfying purchases I've had in the search for endgame sound. Fit shmit...if you have reasonably normal ears, they can fit fine (they're heavier than average resin/plastic/etc. IEMs, but you get the right tips for you and you're golden).
One I've been tempted by, too, is the "FINAL Audio A8000" but the treble is harsh I hear for a few, but they look soo good and I might get them later at some point.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #3,051 of 3,654
Yeah, no. They are old school iems at this point and others have beaten them in both.
not from a price perspective - the ones that do cost more and in some cases a LOT more

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #3,053 of 3,654
Yeah, no. They are old school iems at this point and others have beaten them in both.
That's a high claim to make.

What would you consider to have beaten them?

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #3,054 of 3,654
That's a high claim to make.

What would you consider to have beaten them?
Shuoer EJ07 if you ask him
Fiio FH9 if you ask someone
and Monarch Mkii if you ask someone else

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #3,055 of 3,654
I haven't heard any of these so I'm not qualified to say yay/nay.

Subjectively with how these brands have been operating, it seems to be floating around in more reasonable price ranges until they one out of a ballpark. Then coasting on, price tags go up with not much tangible improvements that would justify it.

I'd be more welcome and accommodating if the pedigree was built up over time and the price to match as well. Comparing those to the pedigree of Sony is a bit of a stretch.

Referring to my own list of favourites for a second. The Z1R and A/U12t are both that have stood the test of time and multiple revisions.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #3,056 of 3,654
I haven't heard any of these so I'm not qualified to say yay/nay.

Subjectively with how these brands have been operating, it seems to be floating around in more reasonable price ranges until they one out of a ballpark. Then coasting on, price tags go up with not much tangible improvements that would justify it.

I'd be more welcome and accommodating if the pedigree was built up over time and the price to match as well. Comparing those to the pedigree of Sony is a bit of a stretch.

Referring to my own list of favourites for a second. The Z1R and A/U12t are both that have stood the test of time and multiple revisions.

I was joking mate, there are certain people that too biased :wink: Good for them if their IEM is really the best for them, but sometimes some people are trying to hard to convince that their IEM is the best in the world

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #3,057 of 3,654
I was joking mate, there are certain people that too biased :wink: Good for them if their IEM is really the best for them, but sometimes some people are trying to hard to convince that their IEM is the best in the world
Epic case of whoooooosh there for me 🤣 I've been spending a bit too much time lurking in some summit fi threads

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #3,058 of 3,654
Lol, the only one that could be if you factor price in would be the Monarch Mkii based on the number of reviewers and people in general giving them good reviews, that said they seem to be polarizing, but not as much as the other two in your list

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #3,059 of 3,654
Lol, the only one that could be if you factor price in would be the Monarch Mkii based on the number of reviewers and people in general giving them good reviews, that said they seem to be polarizing, but not as much as the other two in your list

I still can accept for Monarch mkii for sure but not world's no 1.
That's why I'm nearly convinced that endgame IEM is just a myth. Or they don't even born yet.
What we can get is closest to our preference endgame stuff but there will be some aspect that better in other IEMs, when you chase that better aspect. You will lose already perfect aspect from your current IEM.
If someday a perfect IEM is born, still i believe the price aspect will be crazy.
That's why I'm stick with Z1R for fun, grande and fulfilling my bass needs and Mest for technicalities with sharp imaging and layering. Both aren't perfect, just as close i can get to my endgame.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #3,060 of 3,654
I still can accept for Monarch mkii for sure but not world's no 1.
That's why I'm nearly convinced that endgame IEM is just a myth. Or they don't even born yet.
What we can get is closest to our preference endgame stuff but there will be some aspect that better in other IEMs, when you chase that better aspect. You will lose already perfect aspect from your current IEM.
If someday a perfect IEM is born, still i believe the price aspect will be crazy.
That's why I'm stick with Z1R for fun, grande and fulfilling my bass needs and Mest for technicalities with sharp imaging and layering. Both aren't perfect, just as close i can get to my endgame.
Music and source matters a lot too… if there was a perfect song and perfect neutral source then you could technically benchmark. The problem is that every single thing you listen to is tuned using some music, as even if something is done mathematically and based on some noise curve - some person will still test it and say it’s a little dark or bright… it needs X or Y and some tuning/adjustment is done. So then it’s about the music, the hearing and taste of person/persons and we have to accept their endgame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back