Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Mar 4, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #3,077 of 3,654
@Precogvision Why did you sell your u12t? Because of the Storm or are you leaving the hobby? (I can't think of a third reason!)

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #3,078 of 3,654
Did you get to try something people call Subtonic / Nightjar / Symphonium Singularity? What are your thoughts on it?

I haven't heard it, but I know some friends did and they seem to like it.

@Precogvision Why did you sell your u12t? Because of the Storm or are you leaving the hobby? (I can't think of a third reason!)

I replaced it with another IEM that costs less and offers comparable sound for me. Review for that IEM will probably come soon.

Something that I've realized about my preferences is that I don't have an end-all-be-all when it comes to my ideal sound. Yes, there are certain qualities that I appreciate more than others (for example, I universally prefer a strong bass shelf), but I've found that there are many routes to achieving good sound. It makes more sense for me to diversify my collection rather than try and chase the dragon.

More broadly speaking, IEMs have reached a point where the market is saturated with "good enough" options. This sentiment especially grips the bottom of the market where IEMs have aggregated on an increasingly homogenous sound, but the top of the market doesn't entirely escape it either. The distinction being that you're simply afforded different flavors at the top of the market. With different flavors of tuning comes increased perceived technical performance that wouldn't otherwise be achieved through the conventional tuning that characterizes the bottom of the market.

But technical performance can't increase endlessly; you can only spice up tuning so much - ergo pull out more perceived technicalities - before the tuning becomes unnatural sounding. This is a contention I have with the idea that increasing prices are justified by increasing technicalities. Technicalities in IEMs mostly capped out a long time ago for me, and it's more a matter of seeking out IEMs that balance between tuning and technicalities tastefully. That said, I think Storm is the best example of an IEM that defied my expectations of what's still possible for technical performance while walking that fine line. I just don't have nearly the money to afford it.

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #3,079 of 3,654

I replaced it with another IEM that costs less and offers comparable sound for me. Review for that IEM will probably come soon.

Something that I've realized about my preferences is that I don't have an end-all-be-all when it comes to my ideal sound. Yes, there are certain qualities that I appreciate more than others (for example, I universally prefer a strong bass shelf), but I've found that there are many routes to achieving good sound. It makes more sense for me to diversify my collection rather than try and chase the dragon.

More broadly speaking, IEMs have reached a point where the market is saturated with "good enough" options. This sentiment especially grips the bottom of the market where IEMs have aggregated on an increasingly homogenous sound, but the top of the market doesn't entirely escape it either. The distinction being that you're simply afforded different flavors at the top of the market. With different flavors of tuning comes increased perceived technical performance that wouldn't otherwise be achieved through the conventional tuning that characterizes the bottom of the market.

But technical performance can't increase endlessly; you can only spice up tuning so much - ergo pull out more perceived technicalities - before the tuning becomes unnatural sounding. This is a contention I have with the idea that increasing prices are justified by increasing technicalities. Technicalities in IEMs mostly capped out a long time ago for me, and it's more a matter of seeking out IEMs that balance between tuning and technicalities tastefully. That said, I think Storm is the best example of an IEM that defied my expectations of what's still possible for technical performance while walking that fine line. I just don't have nearly the money to afford it.
That's exciting to hear!!

Got the u12t recently and while it is by far the best thing I have ever heard, I fail to justify its price. Something close at a better price? wow!!! Cannot wait for your review

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #3,080 of 3,654

You sold the U12t? Wow, it’s like the end of an era :dt880smile:

Edit: where is the listing? Have it been sold yet? That U12t unit has a history

IEMs have reached a point where the market is saturated with "good enough" options

True. I have reviewed a $220 IEM recently. After nitpicking and writing up a review, I sat back with the IEM and suddenly it dawned on me: did I just compare this against some respectable kilobucks??? The progress and value nowadays are incredible.

But technical performance can't increase endlessly; you can only spice up tuning so much - ergo pull out more perceived technicalities - before the tuning becomes unnatural sounding

Also agree. Once upon a time (like last year), the “true” resolution gap is still strong, but the good budget ones this year are closing the gap fast. As long as budget ones stick to a safe “correct” tuning, they will not match the perceived resolution and soundstage of the odd kilobucks like Gaea and Andromeda 2020, but I think the budget brand would try those adventurous tuning soon, now that Harman or DF IEMs are everywhere.

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #3,081 of 3,654

You can't leave us like this...
We have to know which IEM is that!

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #3,082 of 3,654

Well now I'm interested, wonder what it is...you certainly helped with my decision to go for a U12t and I love them, but I do often contemplate whether they were worth the $1500 I paid for them...

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #3,083 of 3,654
I'm going to take a wild guess: Letshouer Cadenza?

Edit: I thought this was $1,200, never mind.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #3,084 of 3,654
My wild guess would be the "Mystery IEM" that showed up on his ranking page. :thinking:

graph.png

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #3,085 of 3,654
My wild guess would be the upcoming Subtonic Tempest (I'm not sure about the official name), which aims to be a U12T competitor according to some insiders. Possibly that's the "Mystery IEM" that showed up on his ranking page? :thinking:

What's the cost though? He said its fairly cheaper than the U12T.

I agree with the way the market is now that the law of diminishing returns is prevalent especially in higher more expensive sets.

At that point its better to get multiple sets and have the ability to pull out said set depending on the mood and genre you're feeling at that time.

There is a difficulty to find an endgame all aroundr. At that point it'll be a jack of all trades master of nothing IEM.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #3,087 of 3,654
Not gonna worry too much, U12t still the best one out there. The one truly achieved the balanced between musical and technical

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #3,090 of 3,654
Helios - at better price and even....

Precog always love Helios, but he reviewed the Helios before i think?

So its gonna be new IEM, the Subtonic Tempest has highest chance for the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back