Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #706 of 3,652
I could tell the differences but they were tiny. Felt like the high res had slightly better textures around instruments and they seemed to have “more room to breathe” compared to the regular lossy codec.
I know many people who've spent north of $1000 on a cable upgrade for a similarly 'small' gain in quality. And yet we're still debating whether or not it's worth spending an extra $5 a month on lossless streaming, or loading our DAPs with Flacs rather MP3s. I just can't wrap my head around it. :smirk:

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #707 of 3,652
I know many people who've spent north of $1000 on a cable upgrade for a similarly 'small' gain in quality. And yet we're still debating whether or not it's worth spending an extra $5 a month on lossless streaming, or loading our DAPs with Flacs rather MP3s. I just can't wrap my head around it. :smirk:

For me it’s not a case of “it’s not worth it” but more so I think Spotify UI is far better and it’ll get high res soon.

I am like you, whether the difference is small or not I want the maximum I can get, just not at the cost of switching to what I consider an inferior streaming platform in terms of functionality.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #708 of 3,652
For me it’s not a case of “it’s not worth it” but more so I think Spotify UI is far better and it’ll get high res soon.

I am like you, whether the difference is small or not I want the maximum I can get, just not at the cost of switching to what I consider an inferior streaming platform in terms of functionality.
I'm using Qobuz - mainly for the artists getting paid more. But given we spend so much time and money on other components in the chain its also worth it for me to pay the extra little even if not perceived in a lot of cases.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #709 of 3,652

For sure yes. I think the streaming platform debate is slightly different to the overall lossy vs lossless debate. I can definitely see the value in your sticking with Spotify, for example, in spite of the 'perceived quality loss' at this stage in the game (and soon to be rectified). As opposed to someone saying I'm not going to bother loading my DAP with flacs because I can't tell the difference anyway.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #710 of 3,652
Personally I want the best possible quality, as long as I can afford it and it doesn't impact anyone that depends on me negatively.

We spend so much time fine tuning our gear choices, eeking out the last few percentage points of performance, investing irrational amounts of money on copper wires, and then what, knowingly listen to music files with half the information missing because we don't trust our ears to hear the difference?

And it's not like 10 years ago when data was a premium and bandwidth was in short supply. We'll stream hi-def movies without any issues but balk at streaming lossless music because the file size is a little bigger?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with listening to MP3s and Bluetooth all day long. But personally I wouldn't bother investing a fraction of what I have on the best possible audio gear if that's the diet I'm going to feed it.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying and it does make sense after all, but the way it is in my head is something like:

75% transducer
15% amplifier
5% DAC
3% cable
2% files

I am still getting that 98% regardless if I use MP3 or FLAC or DSD or whatever - and my ears tell me I can’t really hear the difference and especially not in my use case. I wouldn’t really agree that owning any of the gear without any component doesn’t make sense - you’re still going to get the bulk of the performance even driving an IEM out of your iPhone playing Spotify

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #711 of 3,652
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying and it does make sense after all, but the way it is in my head is something like:

75% transducer
15% amplifier
5% DAC
3% cable
2% files

I am still getting that 98% regardless if I use MP3 or FLAC or DSD or whatever - and my ears tell me I can’t really hear the difference and especially not in my use case. I wouldn’t really agree that owning any of the gear without any component doesn’t make sense - you’re still going to get the bulk of the performance even driving an IEM out of your iPhone playing Spotify
In my case for enjoying music:

95% state of being and mind
5% the rest

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #713 of 3,652
You must be one of those mythical HeadFiers with money in their bank accounts
Not really, is just out of boredom now.
Music can move a person in a very deep way. If I get too hung up on sonic performance and SQ I've realised it getting harder and harder to get to that state for me.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #714 of 3,652

75% transducer
15% amplifier
5% DAC
3% cable
2% files

This is pretty much in line with how I am. But I use Spotify regardless of what source I’m using so if I can get the high res on it then why not. 😎

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #715 of 3,652
Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #716 of 3,652
75% transducer
15% amplifier
5% DAC
3% cable
2% files
Very similar for me, but:

70% transducer
15% amp
5% DAC
5% cable
3% tips
2% files

The above doesn't apply to all IEMs though, as I find some IEMs are less susceptible to cable/tip rolling.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #717 of 3,652

70% transducer
15% amp
5% DAC
5% cable
3% tips
2% files

The above doesn't apply to all IEMs though, as I find some IEMs are less susceptible to cable/tip rolling.
Oh the tips are a good one, forgot to add that

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #718 of 3,652

70% transducer
15% amp
5% DAC
5% cable
3% tips
2% files

In my case I could never say something like this.
5% cable, 3% tips?

In my case the difference in sound between a Spiral Dot and a Final E with any IEM is about 1000 times greater than what I notice with a cable rolling.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #720 of 3,652
This is pretty much in line with how I am. But I use Spotify regardless of what source I’m using so if I can get the high res on it then why not. 😎
Spotify + Orpheus = Head scratcher.

I just opened up Spotify for the first time in over 6 months. I can't wait until they get lossless. I will probably do a lot of my listening there when they do it as I love their music discovery features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back