Powering a dt990 250Ohm
Oct 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

powerdpower

Head-Fier
I am starting into high end headphones and am buying a dt990 pro set of cans. I am planning on using my on-board audio plus this to power them.

Do you guys think that will be enough? will my on-board plus that sound good?

Thanks for the help!

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
I am starting into high end headphones and am buying a dt990 pro set of cans. I am planning on using my on-board audio plus this to power them.

Do you guys think that will be enough? will my on-board plus that sound good?

Thanks for the help!

Heya,

Get the $100 Fiio E9 instead of the $187 Cute Curve.

Otherwise, you're good to go. Though I would try to get off the onboard as well and either get a good soundcard (titanium HD comes to mind) or get a discreet DAC/AMP.

Maverick TubeMagic D1 is $199 and is a good entry DAC/AMP combo.

Very best,

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Ok thanks.

So far you have replied to all my threads that I have posted and you must think I'm insane to keep on stressing over it, but I really appreciate your help!

I have looked at that tubemagic D1 before and it looks like a good deal.

Also would you happen to know anything about directional audio in games? I was going to get that xonar card with dolby headphone, but I have been looking stuff up and it looks like a nice stereo setup can be just as effective as with using dolby headphone...

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Ok thanks.

So far you have replied to all my threads that I have posted and you must think I'm insane to keep on stressing over it, but I really appreciate your help!

I have looked at that tubemagic D1 before and it looks like a good deal.

Also would you happen to know anything about directional audio in games? I was going to get that xonar card with dolby headphone, but I have been looking stuff up and it looks like a nice stereo setup can be just as effective as with using dolby headphone...

Positional audio is based on software when it comes to headphones because you only have two channels. So getting a sound card with dolby headphone would be paramount if you want positioning for games. A stereo setup will not do that, at all. You can however, output from a dolby headphone capable sound card to a stereo or amplifier and still benefit from it (I do this with my Xonar DG for example). If that's the case, you don't really need an external amp, just get a sound card with a powerful enough build in amplifier that has dolby headphone and you're set.

Very best,

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 9
That is the setup I was going to do originally. Xonar DG and DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm's, but I decided I would probably want a bit more power ( maybe...) but I guess I could throw an amp in the chain.....

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
That is the setup I was going to do originally. Xonar DG and DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm's, but I decided I would probably want a bit more power ( maybe...) but I guess I could throw an amp in the chain.....

Xonar DG -> FiiO E9 -> DT990

Maintains dolby headphone and is very powerful for it's total cost ($145 roughly for the DG & E9).

Very best,

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 9
That looks like a doable amount of money for me, and looks like I would get a good overall setup for gaming and music. Thank you for your help Mal.

Do you game often? Possibly have a steam account or use teamspeak 3 often?

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 9
for me best sound DT990 PRO was with, HTC Wildfire+Fiio e7 @Bass1, save some money and get fiio e7, they do not need lot of power (or they need if you have "gold" ears?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back