Post Your Photography Here #2
Jul 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #10,951 of 15,758
Quote:
For this shot I used a pair of 2-stops GND filters (one regular one and one reverse) stacked together. The beauty of taking pics is you can freeze that moment to enjoy it for the rest of your life.
wink_face.gif

Nice, very nice; the regular you could reproduce with a program without too much trouble, but stacking filters gets you results that are complex enough to be quite difficult to reproduce. I have a soft spot for sunsets and waterscapes, so I'm quite fond of this one.

Quote:
Sweet Jesus teach me your ways O wizard.

I really need to invest in some filters....

Filters'll help and technique will help, but there's no replacement for going to a beautiful location. I can spend all day struggling to get a decent shot around where I live, and then when I go somewhere really photogenic I'm instead struggling to keep up with all the beautiful views that are falling into place as the light changes.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #10,952 of 15,758
Quote:
Thanks man, I got a good idea of your picture! I figured out a way to maybe make some good sunset/rise shots, even in this drab suburb. It's times like this I wish I didn't live in the suburbs :/ no real chance to get good landscape/architecture shots.

You can also get a filter holder attached to your lens instead of simply holding the filter(s) by hand while you set your camera on a tripod for shots. I do both depending on the site condition and how often/fast I need to take off or change the filters for shots. I recommend filter size of at least 4" by 4" or larger if you can, don't buy anything smaller in size. The glass filters probably give the best quality, but all my shots so far were from using the plastic ones. Plastic filters can take a beating but can be easily get scratched, yet the glass filters can break easily if dropped but it won't get scratched.

Hey once you have practiced enough, welcome to Hawaii for a vacation.
wink_face.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #10,953 of 15,758
Quote:

Nice, very nice; the regular you could reproduce with a program without too much trouble, but stacking filters gets you results that are complex enough to be quite difficult to reproduce. I have a soft spot for sunsets and waterscapes, so I'm quite fond of this one.

Filters'll help and technique will help, but there's no replacement for going to a beautiful location. I can spend all day struggling to get a decent shot around where I live, and then when I go somewhere really photogenic I'm instead struggling to keep up with all the beautiful views that are falling into place as the light changes.

I agree you may be able to produce the regular GND effect from post processing if you shoot the pics in RAW, or simply a composite of 2 or 3 shots with various exposures.

Yeah you need landscape to shoot landscape.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #10,954 of 15,758
Quote:
Jeff just get some filters and shoot and practice. Nothing fancy. This is what good about digital photography - if you don't like the shot then delete it and shoot it again at no extra cost.
normal_smile%20.gif

And a nice stable tripod is a must too.  CF is a better choice when shooting near salt water.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #10,955 of 15,758
Can't agree any more on tripod. A sturdy and quality tripod is a must for landscape shots.

Here is a shot from the park near where I live. I have practiced many many shots here for sunsets and this spot is my favorite.

I probably should have cropped some of the sky.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #10,956 of 15,758
Quote:
Can't agree any more on tripod. A sturdy and quality tripod is a must for landscape shots.

Really? Even when the sun is shining and you have a shutter speed of like 1/2000?

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #10,959 of 15,758
Quote:
That depends. What if you shoot with a 10-stop filter?
wink_face.gif

Good point...forgot about this lovely things. I need to buy one for my RX100. Handheld filters ftw!

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #10,962 of 15,758
Quote:
Here is a shot from the park near where I live. I have practiced many many shots here for sunsets and this spot is my favorite.

I probably would have, I agree - either that or used some digital trickery to add some more interest to the upper parts. It's good as is, but I feel it could be made stronger either way.

Quote:
Really? Even when the sun is shining and you have a shutter speed of like 1/2000?

That really depends on what look you're going for. Often-times you want a long exposure (to smooth water or clouds, get some waving in the grass, soften the light - what have you) and therefore will do whatever you can to control it and bring it down.

Quote:
Here is one I shoot with a 10-stop around noon time under Hawaiian sun. 30 sec on tripod.

Nice; the only thing I'd have done differently is probably cut in a different sky, because I'm not partial to blurred clouds. It's a question of what look you want at the end, however.

---

Today I learned that milk jugs are just as effortless to cut as I'd always imagined...
064c7abc_Cutting-1.jpeg

(This was the only frame the sword actually showed up, but it's not very visible - only a 30 fps camera)

And that little 20oz pop bottles like to fly around when you try them.
707c1371_Cutting-2.jpeg

(Yes, that is me in the shades and the Kamelot shirt :D)

It's hot as blazes today though, so getting a bit of spray wasn't such a problem.
cool.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #10,963 of 15,758
Quote:

If this is what God has created, imagine how he would be.....just great, just great.
In the end we are only capturing his work , GOD BLESS YOU.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #10,964 of 15,758
Quote:
If this is what God has created, imagine how he would be.....just great, just great.
In the end we are only capturing his work , GOD BLESS YOU.

Must...resist...starting religious debate!

I really really like your photos DMinor, do you have a Flickr account or something like this?
Would be a shame if your photos would just lie around on your harddrive :wink:

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #10,965 of 15,758
Quote:

That is a beautiful shot.  One of the perks of living in Hawaii is all the spectacular sights, right? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back