Post Your Photography Here #2
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #10,937 of 15,770
Quote:
Love the uwa on landscape, I need to shoot more with my 16-35 but I'm addicted to bokeh lately.

I can understand. Yeah I love the wide angle with the full frame for landscape/seascape.

Sorry for hijacking this thread for the moment as I am in the mood of digging my old shots.
wink_face.gif

Oahu, Hawaii

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #10,939 of 15,770
I can understand. Yeah I love the wide angle with the full frame for landscape/seascape.

Sorry for hijacking this thread for the moment as I am in the mood of digging my old shots. :wink_face:

Oahu, Hawaii

That's a really large surfboard you're standing on...

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #10,940 of 15,770
Quote:
I totally dig this thread, posted a cheap iPhone pic outside of that I just look at the amazing shots.

Any recommendations on a decent <$1000 setup.

iphone 4s is actually doing a good job taking casual pics. I don't have other iphones so can't speak for them.

As for the recommendation, it depends on your interest (portrait, landscape, sports, etc). I like landscape/seascape, so a full-frame camera and a wide angle lens are easily the choice for me. You can probably buy used gear around that price if your interest is mainly landscape. I would recommend Canon 5D (Mark I) for the body and Canon 17mm-40mm for the lens. You can check out your local Craiglist if not available there then ebay or Amazon. But the risk being this body is pretty old same to the lens, but I assume the lens can last longer than the body if taken good care of. My camera gear have taken a beating at the beach or near waves due to my aggressiveness for the kind of shots I wanted.

Oh don't forget a decent tripod is also important when you need to expose the shots longer than you are able to hold by hand steadily.

Quote:
That's a really large surfboard you're standing on...

Haha that's not my surfboard. He even didn't know I was taking pic of him.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #10,941 of 15,770
Love Guam but it wasn't look like this when I visited 20 years ago.

Yeah things changed a lot on Guam in the 20 yrs. It's a small island. I remember the first time I drove around the island without a map, and it didn't take very long to drove back to where I started.

Here is another one of Guam.

This, this is a beautiful picture.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #10,942 of 15,770
I totally dig this thread, posted a cheap iPhone pic outside of that I just look at the amazing shots.

Any recommendations on a decent <$1000 setup.

Not to be a Sony fanboy, but entry level Sonys are very good. I do like the Canikon equivalents, but for learning the camera and for intro to photography, I've enjoyed the consumer level Sonys more. As far as other stuff, I'd buy a cheap old Minolta 50mm F/1.7 on eBay, for around $70. 50mm lenses really are a thing of beauty, ad that lens is my next camera related purchase. I'm not saying the modern Sony 50mm, because that is WAYYY to expensive for a nifty-fifty. A good beginner setup IMO is a good consumer level camera (with kit lens, or other wide-range focal lengths), and a second lens. All I have is my Sony A100 with kit lens and a Minolta 70-210 F/4. For Sony users, Minolta glass is a blessing.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #10,944 of 15,770
BTW the Minolta glass is for Sony alpha (DSLR) and Minolta Maxxum (DSLR) camera bodys only.

Sorry for the triple post, posting from my iPhone 3GS is kinda challenging.

Also, I second the tripod suggestion. No matter what, I tripod can help :D

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #10,945 of 15,770
Quote:
This, this is a beautiful picture.

Thanks

Quote:
Not to be a Sony fanboy, but entry level Sonys are very good. I do like the Canikon equivalents, but for learning the camera and for intro to photography, I've enjoyed the consumer level Sonys more. As far as other stuff, I'd buy a cheap old Minolta 50mm F/1.7 on eBay, for around $70. 50mm lenses really are a thing of beauty, ad that lens is my next camera related purchase. I'm not saying the modern Sony 50mm, because that is WAYYY to expensive for a nifty-fifty. A good beginner setup IMO is a good consumer level camera (with kit lens, or other wide-range focal lengths), and a second lens. All I have is my Sony A100 with kit lens and a Minolta 70-210 F/4. For Sony users, Minolta glass is a blessing.

Very good points.

Quote:
DMinor thank you for the advice.

You are welcome.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #10,947 of 15,770
For this shot I used a pair of 2-stops GND filters (one regular one and one reverse) stacked together. The beauty of taking pics is you can freeze that moment to enjoy it for the rest of your life.
wink_face.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #10,948 of 15,770
For this shot I used a pair of 2-stops GND filters (one regular one and one reverse) stacked together. The beauty of taking pics is you can freeze that moment to enjoy it for the rest of your life. :wink_face:

Sweet Jesus teach me your ways O wizard.

I really need to invest in some filters....

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #10,950 of 15,770
Thanks man, I got a good idea of your picture! I figured out a way to maybe make some good sunset/rise shots, even in this drab suburb. It's times like this I wish I didn't live in the suburbs :/ no real chance to get good landscape/architecture shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back