Post your favorite quote.
Apr 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #62 of 89
Teddy Rosevelt: [size=small]"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."
[size=x-small]Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star", 149
[/size][size=small][size=x-small]May 7, 1918[/size][/size][/size]

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #63 of 89
Kahlil Gibran :

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth."

"He who would understand a woman, or dissect genius, or solve the mystery of silence is the very man who would wake from a beautiful dream to sit at a breakfast table."

"Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky. We fell them down and turn them into paper that we may record our emptiness."

"They say the nightingale pierces his bosom with a thorn when he sings his love song.So do we all. How else should we sing?"

"We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting."

"The difference between the richest man and the poorest is but a day of hunger and an hour of thirst."

"Those who give you a serpent when you ask for a fish, may have nothing but serpents to give. It is then generosity on their part."

"I have no enemies, O God, but if I am to have an enemy. Let his strength be equal to mine, That truth alone may be the victor."

When you see a man led to prison say in your heart, "Mayhap he is escaping from a narrower prison."

And when you see a man drunken say in your heart, "Mayhap he sought escape from something still more unbeautiful."

"If it were not for our conception of weights and measures we would stand in awe of the firefly as we do before the sun."

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too self-full to seek other than itself."

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need."

"Strange that creatures without backbones have the hardest shells."

"A true hermit goes to the wilderness to find - not to lose himself."

"We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them."

"If I accept the sunshine and warmth I must also accept the thunder and lightning."

"The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold."

wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #64 of 89
There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are either well written or badly written. That is all - Oscar Wilde

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #65 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Teddy Rosevelt: [size=small]"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."
[size=x-small]Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star", 149
[/size][size=small][size=x-small]May 7, 1918[/size][/size][/size]

qft. presidents should always be accountable.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #66 of 89
I have no idea who's responsible for this and it's almost certainly a paraphrase, but this one gets me every time:

"Before you insult a man, make sure you walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he reacts badly, you're already a mile away and he's barefoot."

Sounds like a Berra-ism to me, but I really haven't got a clue.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #68 of 89
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #69 of 89
“Pessimism is, in brief, playing the sure game. You cannot lose at it; you may gain. It is the only view of life in which you can never be disappointed."

-- Thomas Hardy

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #71 of 89
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, does not go away." - Philip K Dick

I'm pretty sure it was in someones sig here on head-fi.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #72 of 89
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

From movie 'The Shawshank Redemption'.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #75 of 89
Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors. Thomas H. Huxley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back