Post your favorite quote.
Apr 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #48 of 89
"The future isn't what it used to be and the past is getting harder to predict." --Marshall McLuhan

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. - John Cage

"You can't appreciate Shakespeare until you've read him in the original Klingon." ~ General Chang

My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was less competition there."~ Indira Gandhi

"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." --W. Somerset Maugham

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think not. In either case, the thought is staggering. --Buckminster Fuller

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole
government working for you."-- Will Rodgers

"Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a moron." -- George Carlin

An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world. A pessimist fears that this is true.

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Last words of Pancho Villa

"We learn from history that we do not learn anything from history."

"When you're not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish."

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
--Groucho Marx

"Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!"
-- Ben Jonson

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

"Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody is looking" - H. L. Mencken

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan, Cosmos

A a party, a bored young man once complained that he could not bear fools.
"How odd," countered Dorothy Parker. "Your mother could, apparently."

Never accept a drink from a urologist. -Erma Bombeck

"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once."
-- Woody Allen

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai

The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy. -- Helen Hayes (at 73)

"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #49 of 89
"If rimes we're valiums I'd be confortably numb" Bradley Nowell

"I traded youth for knowledge, but soon I realized my gain was far more valuable than my lost" Maya Angelou

"Real Men don't eat the honey, they chew the bees" Popular portuguese Saying

"Happy Days in Many Ways!" my brother

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #51 of 89
On my office wall....

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #53 of 89
"A man has to be a man, to be a man. "

Gil Pena

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #54 of 89
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
-Robert A. Heinlein

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Claire Wolfe

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
-Samuel Adams

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #55 of 89
People say we need religion when what they really mean is we need police.
- H.L. Mencken

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #57 of 89
My favourite quote is in my sig. My father claimed it was a quote by Oscar Wilde but when I search Oscare Wilde quotes i can't find it. Here's another fave of mine by Oscar Wilde though.

"A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he does not love her."

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #58 of 89
Man does not become man, nor does he achieve awareness or realization of his humanity, other than in society and in the collective movement of the whole society; he only shakes off the yoke of internal nature through collective or social labor… and without his material emancipation there can be no intellectual or moral emancipation for anyone… man in isolation can have no awareness of his liberty. Being free for man means being acknowledged, considered and treated as such by another man, and by all the men around him. Liberty is therefore a feature not of isolation but of interaction, not of exclusion but rather of connection…I myself am human and free only to the extent that I acknowledge the humanity and liberty of all my fellows… I am properly free when all the men and women about me are equally free. Far from being a limitation or a denial of my liberty, the liberty of another is its necessary condition and confirmation. –Mikhail Bakunin

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #59 of 89
Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #60 of 89
"They have invented a phrase, a phrase that is a black and white contradiction in two words - "free love" - as if a lover ever had been, or ever could be, free. It is the nature of love to bind itself, and the institution of marriage merely paid the average man the compliment of taking him at his word."

-G.K. Chesterton

He's my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back