Post your EQ settings for your headphones
Apr 9, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #91 of 107
  6 db at 3 khz is well within normal variation in hrtf. Any time you spend bickering about whether the lower treble needs cutting or not is wasted.

What is your source? Most of the HRTF eq I've had to do is in the 6-8khz range and it's mostly cuts. I think the lowest I ever had to do was aroudn 4500 with a 4db boost to smooth over a dead spot on some of my closed back cans. 6db is a LOT of change.

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #92 of 107
My latest tuning of the Superlux HD681F (not HD681). The major tunings are preceded by ##

EqualizerApo formatted for a straight copy and paste but check the note.

Because of the -9dB pre-amp and the -9db (coincidentally) reduction in volume at 3000Hz, this equalisation requires singificant amplification to get to normal listening levels for loud listeners (probably most of us). I'm using an O2, the high power amp, with gain pushed in, to get there.

(note: adjust or remove Preamp: -9 dB from the start if you are already pre-amping, to compensate for the maximum amplification and avoid distortion).

Preamp: -9 dB
#Capitalised first letter to enable, otherwise disabled; redundant as I've deleted lines that were disabled

Eval: finetuned = (1 == 1)
#nice bass
##
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc   20 Hz  Gain  9 dB BW Oct 2

If: finetuned

Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc   70 Hz  Gain -3 dB BW Oct 1
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc   120 Hz  Gain -4 dB BW Oct 1
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc   443 Hz  Gain -1.0 dB BW Oct 0.25
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   550 Hz  Gain -2 dB BW Oct 0.25
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   500 Hz  Gain -4 dB BW Oct 0.5

Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   750 Hz  Gain -3.5 dB BW Oct 0.5

Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   1500 Hz  Gain 3 dB BW Oct 0.25

Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   2000 Hz  Gain -2.0 dB BW Oct .5
EndIf:

##
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc   3070 Hz  Gain -9 dB BW Oct 0.5

If: finetuned
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc   4100 Hz  Gain 2 dB BW Oct 0.1
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc   5000 Hz  Gain 7 dB BW Oct 0.20
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc   5586 Hz  Gain -2 dB BW Oct 0.10
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   5372 Hz  Gain -2 dB BW Oct 0.01
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   5446 Hz  Gain -2 dB BW Oct 0.01

EndIf:

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #93 of 107
  6 db at 3 khz is well within normal variation in hrtf. Any time you spend bickering about whether the lower treble needs cutting or not is wasted.

It's been a while. Sorry about that.

It's not so much 'lower treble' as slap bang in the middle of your most sensitive hearing.

Try it. +6db at 3Khz (BW 1, Q of 1.4) ) will hurt. It will force you to lower overall volume, unlike other areas of the frequency spectrum. You end up losing bass and treble.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #95 of 107
I tried this setting for my stock Apple EarPods, just for kicks. Makes them go from sounding terrible to sounding fantastic, at least to my ears:

I tried to make it be an inverted version of this graph:

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #96 of 107
Anyone EQ's their Philips SHP9500's ?

I have been recommended to use these settings, but I admit that I am a complete noob when it comes to EQ'ing -

Channel: all
Preamp: -4.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 40 Hz Gain 4.4 dB Q 0.8
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 120 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 2
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 200 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 0.5
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1900 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 2
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3300 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 4.8
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 2.4
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7400 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 4.8
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 11000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 1.4
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain 4.1 dB Q 1.2

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #98 of 107
After a year of testing, this still worked the best for HD800.
Peak filter: 20Hz, +4, 0.9
Peak filter: 6800Hz, -2.5, 5

IMO the HD800 is one of the best headphone out there to EQ, as it is almost spot-on the perfect neutral-bright sounding headphone, just 1-3dB off here and there which is good to experiment/play with, and it respond to even the tiniest tweak.

P.S. I find that peak filters tend to have lower chance of clipping compared to shelving filters?

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #100 of 107
Ok, so I recently got the Beyer DT880 Chrome version, and I have been messing around with EQ for a few days. I purchased the Sonarworks Reference software and used that with the DT880s, but that doesn't seem to make it flat enough for my ears. It seems that different ears need different EQ sometimes. For example, I find that I need to boost the 6800-7000 Hz area to get the flattest sound possible with both the DT800 and HD650. Anyway, here is a look at the EQ I am using with the DT880 in order to make them as flat as possible. My main method of finding the right equalization is using this old guide. With the EQ these now have the same smooth response as the HD650s, but with more treble extension and air. Your ears may vary. (Using Room EQ Wizard with Equalizer APO for system-wide EQ)

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #102 of 107
Sony mdr-zx300 headphone

image.jpg

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro

Crystalizer = 15%
Dialog = 15%

Sony mdr-E828LP or E829v earphone

image.jpg

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro

Crystalizer = 15%
Dialog = 15%

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #103 of 107
  I tried this setting for my stock Apple EarPods, just for kicks. Makes them go from sounding terrible to sounding fantastic, at least to my ears:

I tried to make it be an inverted version of this graph:

I have made that same mistake before, trying to make an inverse EQ profile to make a headphone perfectly flat, but unfortunately it's not that simple. The frequency response graphs are measuring the power of each frequency which gives an accurate sum of the frequency response. The problem is that our hearing is not flat and we are more sensitive to certain frequencies, and less to others. So the  goal for truly transparent EQ isn't to make the response curve flat, but to make it perceptually sound flat.

The only way I've found to do this  with any consistency is using a sine wave sweeper and very carefully listening to how loud each frequency sounds, and tinkering with the levels until you build a profile that each of the 20 or so EQ bands sound exactly the same volume to you. You then have your specific EQ curve which is a mixture of the headphones, the pads, your sound path, and your ears.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #104 of 107
I recently made a thread here about manually measuring headphones by using in ear binaural mics, and then using EQ to flatten everything out. Even though measuring the frequency response with this method doesn't account for the resonances inside your ear canal, I still find it accurate enough to mess around with and get a basic flat response you can tweak. Hopefully those who use EQ on a regular basis will find it useful. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #105 of 107
Designed specifically for my V-Moda M-100s and Cayin C5 portable amps, I recently came out with an updated version of my extreme EQ presets that I share for free online, which anyone with a Rockboxable music player can download, install, and use.

DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, Version 4.1

In that topic thread, I show the specific EQ settings that sound best (to me) for 12 different songs.

There are 2 sets of 590 custom EQ presets, which can boost the low-end sub-bass around 40 Hz by as much as ***62 dB*** with everything combined in the system -- while sounding crisp and clear at the same time. With a suitable preset for the song that's playing, the sound doesn't have excessive midbass, nor does it "bleed into" the midrange, either.

I have a long video about how to use all this at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw91tMkpzV8  (I made the video in mid-2016, which showcases the previous Version 4.0.)

I also have a brief follow-up video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDKWfLcBkNI where I mention this latest version Version 4.1, and how the 32 Hz band has been changed to 40 Hz.

Anyway, I'll be attending the New York spring meetup on Saturday, June 10, 2017. (Yes,...click that link.) I'll have a table set up with the dual-listening setup of my portable headphone system and extreme EQ presets for everyone to hear.

In the meantime,...happy EQ'ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back