Nov 10, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #916 of 3,094
Quote:
Sil3nce said:

mmhm still prefer the corsair obsidian
biggrin.gif

Well, me too...but my wallet disagrees.

Quote:
mralexosborn said:

No, I must disagree. I like to have my mice ridiculously fast and my standard no-DPI-settings mouse isn't cutting it even with the Windows mouse speed set to max. I have about a 6x9 space to use my mouse to a lack of desk space, oh the clutter. 
I like the Ikari but it's $80 at Best Buy. Is the Ikari worth $20 over the Deathadder?

Same. From func to exactmat to destructor. I'm sure there's something even better out there now. If I left my mousepad @ home for a LAN, I would drive back. Even if it was an hour away.

As far as the Ikari vs DA debate. Well...it's just no contest if you're a palmer. The DA hurts and the Ikari's more comfortable than you can possibly imagine. It's like velour ear muffs as opposed to a senn 280 vinyl deathgrip. If you have a BB near you, it's a no brainer w/ their return policy. See if you can find a coupon and I think it goes on sale for $60 now and then.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #917 of 3,094
Anyone got the new GTX 580?

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #919 of 3,094

Quote:
Anyone got the new GTX 580?

I've only read one thorough review and I gotta say, the card is just beastly in terms of speed, reduction of heat, and power consumption! :>

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #920 of 3,094
I7 930 O/C 4GHZ
6 GB Tri Channel Ram
2 TB Raid0 + 30 GB SSD Bootdisk
Radeon 5850
SB X-Fi Pro

Dual Monitor with 24 LCD screens non HD.

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #921 of 3,094

Exactly. I'm very pleased with the reduction of power usage and heat levels. In fact, I went from a GTX 470 to a 460 for that reason alone. I guess I'll be hopping back up as soon as the 580 prices drop a little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I've only read one thorough review and I gotta say, the card is just beastly in terms of speed, reduction of heat, and power consumption! :>

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #923 of 3,094
If any of you are silly enough to purchase the 580 before the release of the cayman series. Please feel free to slam your head against the wall many many times.

I would rather a new pair of headphones for 600 dollars than a new gpu that only performs 40%-50% better than my 5770 (in benchmarks on various games that I actually play and at resolutions that I play at) why should I compare at 2560x1600 if I do not play at that resolution or do not play that game?

And the 50% does not make the game go from unplayable to playable simply..."nicer" but my eyes are bad anyways so I can hardly tell the difference.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #924 of 3,094

Quote:
I would be disappointed if anybody here had a $600 card. There is so much audio gear wasted...XD

x2

I will probably never spend that much on a computer part...a ~$300 card is more than sufficient.
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #925 of 3,094
It's worth waiting for Cayman for two obvious reasons:
1) the performance might be better, if you absolutely have to have the fastest card (until Antillies comes out!).
2) Depending on the performance/price, and competition induced price drops, you can pick the best card for your budget. If a 6970 is roughly the same as a 580 but costs $100 less, then it becomes a no-brainer unless you're either a fanboy or need things like CUDA.

Although people can spend their money on whatever they can afford, the thing with graphics cards is they are updated every 6 months or so, and currently since many games on the PC are console ports, even current cards can handle most releases just as well as they did earlier in the year. At the end of the day if your FPS is good, then getting a card to knock it up imperceptibly higher isn't an exercise in value for money. 

When the 58xx series cards came out, the best value for money card was a 5850 OC'ed to 5870 speeds. Right now, 6870 CrossFire is pretty impressive, as the 6xxx series seem to scale a fraction better than the SLI of the 4xx cards, although currently 470 SLI kicks a single 580 into the ground, albeit with heat and noise issues at a great price due to temporary price cuts. If NV knock out a cool and quiet 570, and price it right... well, you get the idea.

Normally with computer stuff you should just get what's available if future hardware is more than a couple of months away, but the Cayman cards are supposed to be out the end of the month, so it's a couple of weeks.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #926 of 3,094

Quote:
x2

I will probably never spend that much on a computer part...a ~$300 card is more than sufficient.
wink.gif

Not strictly true. If you have say, a 30" monitor at 2560 res, or are playing on an Eyefinity multi-monitor setup and want all you game graphics maxxed out, a single high-power card is better than a multi-card set up in terms of noise, heat and power consumption and therefore things like a 580 are attractive. Some people don't have a case or mobo that's compatible with multiple GPUs either. There's also issues with micro-stutter (subjective) and some games not supporting multiple GPUs, although that's less of an issue these days.

Generally if you're gaming on a single monitor at 1920x1080/1200 and below, you don't need the 'best of the best' these days, the upper midrange cards are perfectly adequate and better value for money in the long run, especially if you can overclock them yourself.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #927 of 3,094

Quote:
Not strictly true. If you have say, a 30" monitor at 2560 res, or are playing on an Eyefinity multi-monitor setup and want all you game graphics maxxed out, a single high-power card is better than a multi-card set up in terms of noise, heat and power consumption and therefore things like a 580 are attractive. Some people don't have a case or mobo that's compatible with multiple GPUs either. There's also issues with micro-stutter (subjective) and some games not supporting multiple GPUs, although that's less of an issue these days.

Generally if you're gaming on a single monitor at 1920x1080/1200 and below, you don't need the 'best of the best' these days, the upper midrange cards are perfectly adequate and better value for money in the long run, especially if you can overclock them yourself.

I see what you're saying, but I was just talking about for my setup
evil_smiley.gif
. I'm only running one Dell U2311h @ 1080. That's probably the only reason why I said my card was 'sufficient.' Other then that, if I did decide to use a bigger monitor or run multiple monitors, then I would have to agree with you.

I also agree with you that a single powerful card > multiple GPUs. Now the issue micro stuttering - I wonder if they're ever gonna be able to fix that(or did they already?)

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #928 of 3,094
I've seen it explained on OCUK before, it's basically something to do with how they share what you see on screen, and that essentially the tech used has a ton of room for improvement but nothing much has changed over the last few years, although scaling on multiple cards has improved a lot, so it's there's way less diminishing returns there.

Not sure what card I'll get myself but it'll probably be either a 6950 or 570 overclocked to 6970 or 580 speeds, depending on price and which overclocks best. If an OC'ed 6950 comes within 5-10% of a stock 6970, then it should hit that sweet spot of giving you lasting high performance but without paying full wack every time you need to upgrade (which should be when you can't max a game you like, not every time new cards come out!).

Nice monitor btw, I'm torn between that and the new BenQ EW2420 in the 'quality for a guy on a budget' price for the Mac Mini I want to get. Different panel tech but neither is TN and they both seem very, very good for the price. I'd love the Dell Ultrasharp 24" but it's rather expensive!

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #929 of 3,094

Quote:
I've seen it explained on OCUK before, it's basically something to do with how they share what you see on screen, and that essentially the tech used has a ton of room for improvement but nothing much has changed over the last few years, although scaling on multiple cards has improved a lot, so it's there's way less diminishing returns there.

Not sure what card I'll get myself but it'll probably be either a 6950 or 570 overclocked to 6970 or 580 speeds, depending on price and which overclocks best. If an OC'ed 6950 comes within 5-10% of a stock 6970, then it should hit that sweet spot of giving you lasting high performance but without paying full wack every time you need to upgrade (which should be when you can't max a game you like, not every time new cards come out!).

Nice monitor btw, I'm torn between that and the new BenQ EW2420 in the 'quality for a guy on a budget' price for the Mac Mini I want to get. Different panel tech but neither is TN and they both seem very, very good for the price. I'd love the Dell Ultrasharp 24" but it's rather expensive!

Yeah, the last time I heard complaints about micro stuttering was in the 9800gx2, lol.

I'm probably just going to stick to my current card(5850) for a few years, but if the price is right I may do the same thing you're planning on doing.

Thanks, I can't help you too much with your decision since I don't know anything about the BenQ, but I'll give you some impressions of the u2311h.

The colors on the display are beautiful and accurate like you've read, I'm sure. The only complaint I have with the u2311h is the fact that it can only run 1080@60Hz. I don't know how much you care about monitor Hz for gaming(if you game at all), but I got used to it and I also want to point out that the response time isn't really that slow. I did notice ghosting when I first got it, but after a week it didn't bother me at all anymore. Hope this helps you in your decision between the two.

The build quality of the monitor is superb, aswell. The screen only wobbles a bit if you like, say, bump the table by accident. It also has a ton of adjustment options.

The OSD is easy to navigate for adjustment of the colors, brightness, and so on.

I just can't say enough good things about this monitor. If you ever see the deal for it again, don't hesitate to pick one up...I didn't
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope helps you make your decision.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #930 of 3,094

Quote:
Quote:
x2

wink.gif

I agree. That's the exact situation I'm in. I have a 2560x1600 monitor, but I don't want to SLI due to power consumption and space. However, buying early isn't very wise anyways. Once the Cayman 69XX cards are released, the price wars will begin and I can find a better deal on a 580. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back