Post your computer specs!~
Nov 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #946 of 3,098

Quote:
rhythmdevils I take it you're running the AMD hexcore, as if that was the i7 980 and you weren't pushing it to 4gz and beyond... well, they'd be stern words said! :p

And lol@32GB RAM. I think I'd struggle to even think of a use for even half that.

I'm pretty sure they're not the AMD. Apple doesn't use AMD. They use Intel. Secondly, the AMD (Which I have) is a 3.2GHz. Thirdly, it's a Xeon processor.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47922

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #947 of 3,098
Like I said, I'm not entirely sure I would invest in all that RAM but I surely wasn't going to turn it down.  I can't think of a better use for it than the gargling Final Cut Pro monster. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #948 of 3,098
i7 980's can't be used in dual setups, only xeons can be :p

Quote:
rhythmdevils I take it you're running the AMD hexcore, as if that was the i7 980 and you weren't pushing it to 4gz and beyond... well, they'd be stern words said! :p

And lol@32GB RAM. I think I'd struggle to even think of a use for even half that.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #949 of 3,098
It's a Mac with Xeon server processors.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #950 of 3,098
Definitely Intel Xeons. I have never seen Apple use AMD before.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #952 of 3,098

Quote:
I have 32 GB ram in my Macpro.  I think that might make me pretty cool.  Got the Ram for free, so I just filled her up
biggrin.gif
  Also have 2 2.66 GHz 6 core processor.  And with Raided 4TB internal drives, it runs Adobe Lightroom pretttty quick

I Lol'd. 

Lightroom room it actually very well optimized for an adobe program. It's very usable even with RAW files on my dad's netbook. Though RAM wouldn't change much after you pass 6gb..

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #954 of 3,098

Quote:
I Lol'd. 

Lightroom room it actually very well optimized for an adobe program. It's very usable even with RAW files on my dad's netbook. Though RAM wouldn't change much after you pass 6gb..

It's clearly overkill, I'm not going to argue with that.  BUT you're wrong about Lightroom.  It's one thing if you're flipping through a library of 400 pictures, mostly jpegs from a D90 or point and shoot.  I currently have 70,000 pictures in my library, and that's only the last year of shooting, and it's all RAW images from 12 and 24 megapixel cameras.  My macbook pro can't handle that well, and your Dad's netbook certainly can't either
wink_face.gif

I can't remember how many sticks of RAM I got the computer with them already installed. 

I didn't mean to create a hubub, I just thought you guys would get a kick out of it. 

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #956 of 3,098

Quote:
Do all mice have problems with tracking on normal surfaces like the Deathadder?

That depends on what you mean by "normal." Are you using the DA straight on the table; do you have a mousepad?

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #958 of 3,098

Quote:
Just straight on the table. I was thinking of abusing Best Buy's holiday return policy and getting the Ikari when I get a gift card. I am not sure. 

You may want to invest in a mousepad. Also, it may not be the best option going for the Ikari; heard mixed reviews about it being complete garbage to the best mouse ever. I have also read in reviews that the Ikari has insane lift-off distance, etc. It has a really nice grip, though. I guess the best thing for you to do is to see if you can try it out first at the store to see if you like the feel of it.

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #959 of 3,098
oops dbl post. stupid lag..

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #960 of 3,098
Quote:
mralexosborn said:

Just straight on the table. I was thinking of abusing Best Buy's holiday return policy and getting the Ikari when I get a gift card. I am not sure. 

I just flung the Ikari laser around on my cheap white resin table and there's no problems. Of course, it's nowhere near as comfy as a Razer Destructor...yeah, get a mouse pad. :D

Quote:
mralexosborn said:

Do all mice have problems with tracking on normal surfaces like the Deathadder?

Optical mice will be prone to more inaccuracy w/ less response than the newer laser sensors. They're usually fine on a good mouse pad though. IIRC, I used the DA on an eXactmat and a Func. Pretty good mouse, but not comfortable for myself and the sides/top always caused my hand to sweat and stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils 

I didn't mean to create a hubub, I just thought you guys would get a kick out of it. 

It's ok, I got booed for 1.5 + GB Firefox sessions. How much more does an SSD help out w/ your specific workload?

Quote:
ohaider said:

Also, it may not be the best option going for the Ikari; heard mixed reviews about it being complete garbage to the best mouse ever. I have also read in reviews that the Ikari has insane lift-off distance, etc.

Also, it may be one of the best options to go for the Ikari laser; written positive reviews and comments based on using it for over 3 years. I have also noticed insanely low lift off distance (~1 mm) that really helps the low sens gamer. Here's a running ranking of the mice I've used...

Steelseries Xai
Pros - excellent tracking and a good step up from the Ikari Laser w/ same cord and surface qualities
Cons - buttons too hard to depress/way too much effort, shape sucks, definitely not for right handed palmers, gets warm
MX Revolution
Pros - super comfortable, nice cool surface, snappy wheel!
Cons - wireless poo poo for gaming, middle click tough, heavy
G9
Pros - good sensor, good wheel
Cons - where's the rest of the mouse? it's like I got 1/2 a mouse here?! (definitely for fingertippers) :p
Ikari Laser
Pros - the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, primo shape, surface reduces sweat considerably, button placement, ease of middle click, lightweight, 2nd gen laser tracks very well/better than MX518, extremely low liftoff, long moldable cord stays put, fast microswitch buttons
Low - I'm on my 2nd one and the skin's peeling up top in small places, mwheel noisy, software is garbage, sensor's not the best around anymore
MX518
Pros - very comfortable, surface keeps palm/thumb/pinky cool, lots of buttons and even more functionality w/ uberoptions, very precise tracking, on-the-fly switching, low liftoff, lightweight
Cons - silly color, wheel doesn't side to side, annoyingly fat cord needs assistance (mouse bungie, twisty tie a foot up)
MX510
Pros - see above, blue color looks great
Cons - slightly less precision and buttons
DeathAdder gen 1
Pros - extremely precise tracking, very tactile feeling primary buttons, long thin cord that doesn't get in the way, very low liftoff
Cons - top gets warm and sticky sides combine to make this uncomfy for prolonged gaming sessions, lack of buttons, great feet
IE3
Pros - kept me happy for a long time
Cons - it's no 518 (honestly, it's been awhile since I've used it)
grin.gif

Habu
Pros - great feet, it lights up blue?
Cons - laser just does not feel precise enough for me, fit 'n' finish (specifically the side buttons), bsoded my computer more than once
G7
Pros - it's almost comfy
Cons - it weighs a bit too much, it's missing a button, it lags, the batteries need to be changed to often, laser engine
MX1000
Pros - lots of buttons
Cons - it lags...a lot, 1st gen laser
G5 V2
Pros - it got back it's button
Cons - it looks like spidey had his way w/ it, it feels like spidey had his way w/ it, laser still lacking
Copperhead
Diamondback
Both of these mice screwed up the side buttons completely and neither are anywhere near as comfy as the logi or some of razer's newest

The G9x, G500, and Xai all use the latest Avago sensors and track exceptionally well. The Xai's a bit specialized and a little less desirable than what Logi's using. There's also the Mionix Naos 5000 and the upcoming WoW Cataclysm from Steelseries that's got me all hot and bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back