post pics of your headphone set up and listening area
May 2, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #4,531 of 6,467
What can't be done with them? Two pairs worn back-to-back for basic surround sound, stack them up by each other (K1000 line array!), arrange them in a circle around you for K1000 Surrounder, set each one for different angles to have different sounds ready to go at any time, etc. The possibilities are endless! I still need to get the good Mr. Duggeh to build me a shoulder brace so I can use the K1000 Surrounder on the go.

May 2, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #4,532 of 6,467
Huh? Do you really own 8 K-1000, or what?

I'm skeptical...

May 2, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #4,534 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can't be done with them? Two pairs worn back-to-back for basic surround sound, stack them up by each other (K1000 line array!), arrange them in a circle around you for K1000 Surrounder, set each one for different angles to have different sounds ready to go at any time, etc. The possibilities are endless! I still need to get the good Mr. Duggeh to build me a shoulder brace so I can use the K1000 Surrounder on the go.

I could work on something like that in a few weeks once I'm back home. Thinking about the practicalities and ergonomics, the best way to work things would be to remove the cage assemblies from the headbands and affix them to a sixteen point mounting system based on a circumferential grip. The K1000 driver assemblies are very light and so even 16 wouldn't, I suspect be too heavy for use.

Better solution though it to actually use less drivers and better signal processing. That would also avoid more the issues fo simultanious mean amplification and the limitations in FOV caused by a pure circuitous design.

Let me know how many driver pairs you want to try for the prototype (4 is easy and has been done). I'd like to try 6, arranged in a psudo-5.1 system. Run the centre channel to numbers 3 and 6, front left to 1, front righ to 2, rear right to 4 and rear left to 5. The K1000 transducers are full range but because most of the information on a DVD is pumped through the centre channel there may be advnatages in only running the .1 signal to drivers 3 and 6. The proof will be in the listening because bass phase imbalance is one of the weaknessess of the surrounder design, although that also comes about principally because of its lowered physical mounting.

It would also be possible in the end product to terminante the entire assembly to a single connector (a 12-pin LEMO would be best apt) which can run to a dedicated configuration box allowing an option of several channel switching filters. The box would be easy to get right once the headphone assembly is finalised.

May 2, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #4,535 of 6,467
Either this is real... or my sarcasm meter is currently broken.

May 2, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #4,536 of 6,467
Excellent ideas, the only concern I have is they'd be more prone to damage without the grilles and I intend to use this portably (necessary gear and batteries can easily be carried in a regular backpack as I do with a single K1000 on the go). We'll work out the details in email.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #4,537 of 6,467
Just in case anyone is thinking of any related sort of project, I want to be clear. I'm not talking about removing the cages from the the driver plates, but rather the entire cage assembly from the headband. And then using the two plastic through-mouldings above the whole driver assembly (with cages in place) to attatch to a new mounting system.

I do not advocate removing the protective cages from a K1000 unless you know what you are doing and I would advise most strongly against leaving them off because there are very fine exposed voice coil wires which might easily be damaged (severed).

Portable would be doable. The battery would be either very heavy (single, high capacity SLA) or the battery life would be poor. You could use three T-amps in a custom 3xLittleStar setup. That'd build into a Hammond chassis about the same size as the battery.

May 2, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #4,538 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either this is real... or my sarcasm meter is currently broken.

Its Fitz, the man with a closet full of AKG headphones. I don't think its a strech to say he has 8 or more AKG K1000's.

May 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #4,541 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitz, I say "fudge" the naysayers! Just continue to enjoy your K1000 while the rest of us drool.
wink.gif

No, no naysaying at all.

Just... amazed...
eek.gif

May 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #4,543 of 6,467
I think i have figured out how fitz came up with that picture. We know from the first picture he has 2 K1000, so all he has to do is set up the camera on a tripod and take a few pictures with the headphones scattered around the desk. Then with very basic software, the pictures can be cropped and over lapped to create the illusion.

or the other possibility.... you actually do own 8 K1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back